Why become a member? ×

Sky Arts and other music related programmes

PaulWarning

• 2 weeks later...

Reluctantly watched the Noel Gallagher episode of the songwriters programme. 

I dismissed Oasis as overrated rip off merchants from their first appearance on TOTP in mid 90’s. Couldn’t stand the whining singer, hated the constant “we’re the greatest rock n roll band ever”, all the stories of fighting and cancelling tours half way through because of said fighting (f@@@ the fans). Couldn’t see what the hype was all about.

So, what a surprise when I listened to Noel G talking about music, songwriting and his experience of working with David Holmes. It sounded like Mr Holmes wasn’t going to accept “Oasis rehashed” and made Noel G  work hard at exploring new avenues of writing and production, rather than resting on a known formula. And Noel G listened.. Respect!

Really enjoyed the interview. But more surprising was listening to his songs played by his current band, and without L Gallagher’s awful nasal whine. I really liked Noel’s voice and have a new found respect for his songwriting. 
Hasn’t changed my mind about Oasis, or L Gallagher, but I’ll certainly be buying “Who built the moon”. 

I wonder if I’d have felt the same about Oasis if Noel had fronted it from the start? But then again they wouldn’t have been as big as they were without the b00llox I guess. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, oldslapper said:

Couldn’t stand the whining singer,

I bought an oasis cd among others from a charity shop just to listen to in the van at work, and it wasn’t for me, it all sounded the same, but a while back I listened to, High flying birds , and it was different in a good way, there’s some really good tracks 

Edited by Reggaebass
  • Like 1

I liked Oasis, well the first 3 albums and a couple of singles afterwards, but always seemed to prefer the songs sung by Noel. As has been said they probably wouldn’t have been as big with Noel as the lead singer/without Liam, as most bands need the singer to have that edge and charisma, and whilst I don’t think his voice is that great he certainly had those. 

• Like 2

Back when Oasis were big and we had a pub gig. Someone would put them on the jukebox and and we would all go “Christ, who put this crap on?”

Much the same reaction when someone put rap on.  Not sure what that says about the musical taste of the band members. 

2 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I’d say, in order 

Mistaken

Correct

The biggest problem with Oasis at the time was they were everywhere and therefore extremely boring. Trying too hard to be the Beatles, the lead singer just sounded bored.  

7 minutes ago, Cliff Edge said:

The biggest problem with Oasis at the time was they were everywhere and therefore extremely boring. Trying too hard to be the Beatles, the lead singer just sounded bored.  

And obnoxious.

The whole scene seemed more about the rivalry (Oasis vs Blur, etc) than the actual music. For my own tastes, Britpop in the '90s is where music went to die. YMMV.

48 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

There’s no doubt about it, they are talented guys, I saw one of them on the Jonathan Ross program , he seemed pretty down to earth, not what I expected 

It’s an age thing, most of us tend to get more sensible as the years roll by. 

• Like 1

If you’re interested, Sky Arts 1.30 am tomorrow morning.  The Great Songwriters. Noel Gallagher. 
It’s probably been on before and is available elsewhere anyway. 
The blurb reads :

Described by Sir George Martin as `the finest songwriter of his generation', Noel Gallagher was the main songwriter in Oasis and now fronts Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds. He has sold more than 100 million records. Here he performs Don't Look Back in Anger, Holy Mountain, It's a Beautiful World and What a Life!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

And obnoxious.

The whole scene seemed more about the rivalry (Oasis vs Blur, etc) than the actual music. For my own tastes, Britpop in the '90s is where music went to die. YMMV.

I too hated the whole Britpop 'scene'. The music was just stuff recycled from the 60s/70s and the attitude that somehow they 'spoke' to British yuuf better than American bands I found utter crap.

Gallagher was on Absolute Radio* this morning. He's going down the road of British, white, male, over 50s pop music icon, who spouts utter drivel and only proving how cringingly thick he is. No Noel, wearing a mask and having a covid vaccine is not virtue signalling. Perhaps read a book, something we all know you pride yourself on not doing, but maybe just once.

*I don't normally listen to the radio, but I do have Absolute on in my work van. I can be bothered changing the station.

There's a whole lot more to Britpop than Oasis though; Blur (in particular Graham Coxon) have always been a really creative band - check out their albums from around the mid 90s!

Suede also had some great tunes, as did Sleeper.

I lived through it in my early 20 (my peak 'going out' years) and yes, Oasis were everywhere, and were boring.

1 minute ago, paul_5 said:

There's a whole lot more to Britpop than Oasis though; Blur (in particular Graham Coxon) have always been a really creative band - check out their albums from around the mid 90s!

Suede also had some great tunes, as did Sleeper.

I lived through it in my early 20 (my peak 'going out' years) and yes, Oasis were everywhere, and were boring.

I'm a similar age. Britpop was everywhere in my 20s and I hated all of it. I really can't stand Blur.

I turned to electronic music, trip hop, acid jazz...anything as long as it wasn't Britpop.

Perhaps it's a regional thing as Britpop didn't seem to take off as such in the part of the south west I live in. Everyone turned to raves and dance music. There's always been a strong punk/indie scene where I live, and moving on to electronic music seemed to be the thing. I know lots of old punks who turned to electronic music rather than Britpop back in the 90s

2 hours ago, Skybone said:

Recorded the Ivor Cutler by KT Tunstall programme the other night. That's going to be entertaining.

Glad you posted this, had no idea about it. Just watched, very good. KT Tunstall makes a fine job of presenting and her enthusiasm and love for Ivor's work shines through.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, casapete said:

On this afternoon (Sunday 2nd May) at 4pm, the 2019 documentary film ‘Hitsville - The Making of Motown’.

9 minutes ago, Cliff Edge said:

Thanks for the heads up. I’ve programmed the recorder. 

Likewise 

• Like 1

On 29/04/2021 at 19:41, upside downer said:

Glad you posted this, had no idea about it. Just watched, very good. KT Tunstall makes a fine job of presenting and her enthusiasm and love for Ivor's work shines through.

Only managed to watch bits of it so far, but it's great Cutler's great, and KT Tunstall's a great presenter.

Cutler is one of the brilliant British eccentrics, remember hearing some of his stuff on the John Peel show many moons ago.

• Like 1