Why become a member? ×

Sky Arts and other music related programmes

PaulWarning

4 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

Love and Mercy, the 2014 Brian Wilson biopic tonight BBC2 11.20

I’m not a big Beach Boys fan, but an interesting story nevertheless.

And he was a bass player (at least in the live version of the band)😃

As a Beach Boys/Brian Wilson fan myself, I'd certainly recommend this. But also as a songwriter, it gives a good insight into a very talented but sadly messed-up musician and composer.

Plus, I'll also add "God Only Knows" as another one of the greatest songs ever written! ;) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stingray5 said:

As a Beach Boys/Brian Wilson fan myself, I'd certainly recommend this. But also as a songwriter, it gives a good insight into a very talented but sadly messed-up musician and composer.

Plus, I'll also add "God Only Knows" as another one of the greatest songs ever written! ;) 

I'll have to agree with your choice, again! Seeing Brian and his amazing band sing this live was certainly one of my most memorable gig moments.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, casapete said:

I'll have to agree with your choice, again! Seeing Brian and his amazing band sing this live was certainly one of my most memorable gig moments.

I only ever saw The Beach Boys (1976, Wembley Stadium) but would love to have seen Brian with his later band. Imho, their vocal harmonies were every bit as good as (at times, even better than) the Beach Boys themselves.

38 minutes ago, Stingray5 said:

I only ever saw The Beach Boys (1976, Wembley Stadium) but would love to have seen Brian with his later band. Imho, their vocal harmonies were every bit as good as (at times, even better than) the Beach Boys themselves.

An amazing band, one of the best I've ever seen. A lot better than most incarnations of the Beach Boys IMO. Seen them 4 times and each one was fantastic. Despite Brian struggling in places, the band supported him so well, with many being multi-instrumentalists using authentic instruments as per the original recordings. Sadly the current (Mike Love led) Beach Boys have now recruited Jeffrey Foskitt and a couple more guys from Brian's band into their line up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nail Soup said:

Why sadly if it improves the official Beach Boys? Perhaps makes them unavailable to Brian?

Brian recruited the whole band, some of whom were in a Beach Boys tribute band in LA! Jeffrey in particular looked after Brian a lot onstage, and made it possible for him to tour successfully following a long period of absence. Just seems a shame to me that some of the band left ‘the master’ to take the dollar from the current Beach Boys, after all Brian had done with them. Plenty on Google about Beach Boy frontman Mike Love and Brian falling out too.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, casapete said:

Brian recruited the whole band, some of whom were in a Beach Boys tribute band in LA! Jeffrey in particular looked after Brian a lot onstage, and made it possible for him to tour successfully following a long period of absence. Just seems a shame to me that some of the band left ‘the master’ to take the dollar from the current Beach Boys, after all Brian had done with them. Plenty on Google about Beach Boy frontman Mike Love and Brian falling out too.

Ok, I understand your point. 
Yes,  Brian was the real leader of the beach boys, seems like not acknowledged by Mike Love.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulWarning said:

just starting a rerun on PBS America, freeview channel 84, Ken Burn's marathon history of Country Music, I'm not a massive fan of country but I've found it really interesting

Ah, thanks for the reminder. I actually recorded all 8 episodes when it was on previously but haven't had time to watch all of them yet. Each one is around 2 1/2 hours. Yeehaaar!!

47 minutes ago, Stingray5 said:

Ah, thanks for the reminder. I actually recorded all 8 episodes when it was on previously but haven't had time to watch all of them yet. Each one is around 2 1/2 hours. Yeehaaar!!

yes it's a long haul, I'm halfway through episode 2, not so good ,they've just reached the cheesy cowboy films ☹️,

I've watched the later episodes and some of them are really good

14 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

yes it's a long haul, I'm halfway through episode 2, not so good ,they've just reached the cheesy cowboy films ☹️,

I've watched the later episodes and some of them are really good

I did look at the synopsis for each episode and was ever so tempted to go straight to the final episode 8...! But I'll still watch 'em all, eventually. :) 

• Like 1

For the Runrig fans on here, BBC Alba have a number of programs over the weekend.

Friday night there is Air an Oir (50mins) - 9pm

Saturday night they are showing The Last Dance, all 3 hours as opposed to the shortened version that was on Sky Arts - 8pm

Sunday Night they are showing City of Lights (55mins) - 9pm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, steantval said:

Sky Arts now on, Planes, Trains and Eric.

Documentary on Eric Clapton Far East tour in 2014.

Great look behind the scenes plus live concert footage, Nathan East on bass and the brilliant Steve Gadd on drums.

Nice one, cheers.

Also following this at 17.45 is ‘Eric Clapton:Live in California’.

• Like 1