Why become a member? ×

Where are or perhaps more specifically who are the new session legends in the making?

MNY

With a definite leaning towards jazz based styles including funk and fusion, I have been used to listening to players like Chuck Rainey, Abe Laboriel, Nathan East, Marcus Miller, Jimmy Johnson, Will Lee,Jimmy Haslip and UK based players like Pino, Randy Hope Taylor, Julian Crampton and Laurence Cottle. 
I am really interested to hear who you all feel the new wave of studio players are, especially as I could really do with some new music to track down and hopefully enjoy, and just because I am interested to see how music is changing. Let’s face it most of the players on my list are in the 60’s and 70’s now so there must be some younger bassists around. I can only think of one off the top of my head Sharay Reed,. Happy to hear from you if you want to discuss studio bass players old and new. 

Cheers,

Part of the problem is that the session 'scene' as it was in the golden era of the 70s/80s has all but died out, many studios have closed and it's possible to make a decent(ish) quality recording from home and/or program in the bass part using plugins. Not that is always the case, but it's definitely a factor in why we're not seeing a similar wave of younger studio players coming through.

• Like 2

I listen mainly to music which isn't made by session musicians, so not in a good position to suggest any.

But I guess the big session musicians most of us know tend to get recognised (outside of the industry) retrospectively - after they have amassed a body of work to get recognised for. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bolo said:

Like Snarky puppy's Michael League and Vulfpeck's Joe Dart or am I way off?

No not far off at although they are not session players per se, but as other posters have mentioned it may be that the face of music has transitioned to a point that session players/studio musicians are no longer relevant. Both players are good suggestions though as both are world class musicians who play music rooted in jazz, funk and fusion. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bolo said:

Like Snarky puppy's Michael League and Vulfpeck's Joe Dart or am I way off?

These two are interesting choices because they have kind of built there own scenes rather than being typical session players. They both stick pretty much within their cliques, although I think Michael League branches out more than Joe Dart.

As others have said, the session scene has changed a lot recently but if you look at the players who are doing the big sessions, it's still players like Abe Laboriel, Leland Sklar, Michael Rhodes, Nathan East, and Will Lee. Even the 'younger' guys who are busy are generally over 40- players like Chris Chaney, Tim Lefebvre, Sean Hurley  and Jimmie Lee Sloas.

Edited by Doddy
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, SICbass said:

Ethan Farmer (Lionel Richie, Babyface, Backstreet Boys etc.) isn’t exactly a youngster but definitely a monster. Robert “Bubby” Lewis (Snoop Dogg) is also worth checking out.

I think they might be Andrew Gouche protégés,  I know Bubby certainly is. I will  check out Ethan Farmer this morning ,thanks. One for you if you haven’t heard him is Matthew Ramsay, who plays with Shaun Martin from Snarky Puppy. 

Sessions exist, but not in the way they did in the past. I know a local online drummer who, a few years ago, was on a project with Chuck Rainey. Online is where the work is these days.  I just lost a friends album due to the lockdown, and because I don’t do remote recording.

56 minutes ago, MNY said:

I think they might be Andrew Gouche protégés,  I know Bubby certainly is. I will  check out Ethan Farmer this morning ,thanks. One for you if you haven’t heard him is Matthew Ramsay, who plays with Shaun Martin from Snarky Puppy. 

Thanks, I will check him out. Sam Wilkes, probably best known for his appearances with Knower,  also shows up on a bunch of stuff.

43 minutes ago, SICbass said:

Thanks, I will check him out. Sam Wilkes, probably best known for his appearances with Knower,  also shows up on a bunch of stuff.

You’re welcome. His playing on the Knower track ‘Hangin On’ is wonderful. I think he also plays on one of the more recent Chaka Khan albums. A similar player with a more jazzy approach is Nick Campbell. 

3 hours ago, MNY said:

You’re welcome. His playing on the Knower track ‘Hangin On’ is wonderful. I think he also plays on one of the more recent Chaka Khan albums. A similar player with a more jazzy approach is Nick Campbell. 

It’s Tim Lefevbre on Hanging On, isn’t it?

2 hours ago, pineweasel said:

It’s Tim Lefevbre on Hanging On, isn’t it?

Indeed it is, thanks for pointing this out. I have seen another version where Sam Wilkes plays effectively the same line with some further embellishments. I have also seen a brilliant French bassist called Emeline Fougerie who plays along to the track and absolutely kills it. 

When talking session players, are you meaning studio players (which I assume), or are you also thinking about touring musicians?  Just because there have been some players mentioned who, while they are obviously great players, aren't really getting studio sessions. That work still seems to be going mostly to the slightly older guys who have been around for a while rather than the hip new players, whether we're talking NY, LA, Nashville, or London.

2 hours ago, EMG456 said:

In the UK very impressed by Rob Mullarky - excellent and inventive playing and/or producing for the likes of Natalie Williams (his other half), Roisin Murphy, Jacob Collier etc.

Likewise, he is a fabulous player. I’ve checked out loads of his stuff. 

1 hour ago, Doddy said:

When talking session players, are you meaning studio players (which I assume), or are you also thinking about touring musicians?  Just because there have been some players mentioned who, while they are obviously great players, aren't really getting studio sessions. That work still seems to be going mostly to the slightly older guys who have been around for a while rather than the hip new players, whether we're talking NY, LA, Nashville, or London.

I am really referring to players who are involved in the production of albums in the studio. I was out walking yesterday listening to Jimmy Johnson playing with Lee Ritenour and I thought of the golden age  of GRP in the 80’s. A label which spawned many a good album featuring some of the best session players around including many of the aforementioned individuals. It got me thinking about the new wave of players. Not really knowing many, I wondered who was getting the work, although it seems that it could well be a case of the work having drastically dried up amidst a rapidly changing music scene.