Why become a member? ×

Sky Arts: King Rocker (Stewart Lee on Robert Lloyd/Nightingales)

Nail Soup

Robert Lloyd is is not all that well known, but was singer in Birmingham punk band the Prefects, post-punk band the Nightingales and later solo career.

Stewart Lee has made this documentary. I think it was intended for a cinema release, but now it's straight to TV. Tonight at 9pm.

Worth watching by all accounts even if you are not a fan.

I have ticket for The Nightingales.... just waiting for the Covid-delayed show to happen.

• Like 1

Had a watch last night... The Bass used on the German gig caught my eye... Remember same or similar on the Rig thread i think... cant find it now...

Geez... Stuart Lee is looking OLD, I'm about thecsame age, and hopefully dont look that rough...

Edited by PaulThePlug

4 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

Excellent!

So do you remember the King Kong statue?

I do indeed - I was nine when Kong was in Brum and during one of our regular shopping trips into town, mom took me to see it. As a kid it looked huge! I remember that it was pretty unpopular with almost everybody over the age of 16, but I, and all my primary school mates loved it. I can't believe that it was only in Manzoni Gardens for a few months as it made such a massive impression on Birmingham. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rushbo said:

I do indeed - I was nine when Kong was in Brum and during one of our regular shopping trips into town, mom took me to see it. As a kid it looked huge! I remember that it was pretty unpopular with almost everybody over the age of 16, but I, and all my primary school mates loved it. I can't believe that it was only in Manzoni Gardens for a few months as it made such a massive impression on Birmingham. 

I think one of the first trips I'm going to make (when such trips are again possible) is to see the Kong statue in its (hopefully) final resting place.

3 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

I think one of the first trips I'm going to make (when such trips are again possible) is to see the Kong statue in its (hopefully) final resting place.

I played a festival in Penrith in 2019 - if I'd have known it was there, I would have swung by to have a look. 

• Like 1

On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2021 at 23:09, steantval said:

I happened to dip into the final 30 minutes, never heard of The Nightingales before, unfortunately I was left unimpressed by the whole band. 👎

The last 30 mins? You'd have really disliked the earlier incarnations of the band then;)!

Great Channel ...can seriously affect your sleep patterns though....who’s scheduling the programs times?

The other night for example Jimi Hendrix classic Albums followed by a Janis Joplin documentary a Cream documentary too all past most people’s bedtimes in a working week ! Some Great programs just odd times?

Took a couple of days, but have now watched it all. Fantastic, really enjoyed it.

In particular enjoyed getting to the period when drummer (and additional singer) Fliss Kitson joined (2011 I think).

764495195_FlissKitson.png.e4c58e9cfe8013df5a1ae6a0ec4618f1.png

Seems like she has totally revitalised the band!

(Or as Stewart Lee put it after noting her taxidermy hobby - "do you have an inclination to preserve things that would otherwise have rotted away?") 

Big fan of Fliss 👍

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MB1 said:

Great Channel ...can seriously affect your sleep patterns though....who’s scheduling the programs times?

The other night for example Jimi Hendrix classic Albums followed by a Janis Joplin documentary a Cream documentary too all past most people’s bedtimes in a working week ! Some Great programs just odd times?

I guess it's for TV recorder or sleepless nights. I think the late night ones are all repeats that were first broadcast at a reasonable time.

On 08/02/2021 at 15:36, MacDaddy said:

I would have watched it, but Stewart Lee with his sanctimonious Oxbridge smugness, always comes across as a bit of an derrière.

I am aware that may be his 'act' or 'comedy persona', but I'm not willing to watch a documentary he presents.

Well, it's your opinion, and you gave it to us straight, like a pear cider made from 100% pears.

• Haha 2