Why become a member? ×

Wireless no more

Dan Dare

I've not checked the difference in speeds between TP-Link and wireless connections before, so i just did this:

Wired via TP-Link - download 43mbs/ upload17mbs

Good old BT Wireless - download 7.5mbs/ upload 9.5 mbs

Interestingly, latency was a smudge quicker on wireless.

I rest my case!

35 minutes ago, NHM said:

I've not checked the difference in speeds between TP-Link and wireless connections before, so i just did this:

Wired via TP-Link - download 43mbs/ upload17mbs

Good old BT Wireless - download 7.5mbs/ upload 9.5 mbs

Interestingly, latency was a smudge quicker on wireless.

I rest my case!

I have BT wireless, too. Try using the ethernet connection for a wired connection (which is what I'm doing) . You may find it even better.

I'm sure you're right Dan, but the wireless transmitter is by the front door (not convenient for my study and I don't want to run cabling through the house)

Once it gets a bit less cold, I'll venture out into the hall and wire in directly as you suggest and compare the speeds...

• Like 1

We have dreadful issues with wi-fi, especially getting into the extension of the house. Our house isn't even that big, just a normal sized 3 bed box. The router sits in the dinning room, which is right next to the living room, however maybe because the wall between them is the old external wall, or the foil covered insulation in the new walls, the wi-fi signal is awful in the living room. For the TV and Playstation I bought home plugs which provides a stronger more reliable signal.

With this second lockdown the kids need to work online all the time. My eldest is fine, his room is directly above where the router is. For the other two (who share a room) the wi-fi signal is so unreliable. I ended up buying Ethernet to USB adapters and plugging them into another homeplug. This has really worked wonders, they're getting good speeds and it's very reliable. I just checked the speed in their room and they're getting 25mbps, which although isn't fantastic is still better than no mbps. The computer I'm on now is connected straight into the router (they actually sit next to one another) and it's getting speeds around the 55mbps. The kids room may seem low, but homeplugs aren't supposed to work that well if the plugs are on two different ring mains apparently, which mine are...so I'm quite pleased :) 

I always prefer to be 'wired' in. Wi-fi, bluetooth have their uses but it's not as good as a cable.

My router, works with BT and is a night and day improvement over the standard BT router IME and cheaper now than when I got mine:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06WD4RVL4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_xCqmpyESusOwf

Desktops in the house all have these Asus WiFi cards in:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00EC9S3LI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_9at96DfKlmOh3

Coupled with the above router the results are excellent IME.

Wireless with Now TV here. Upstairs where the kids and I do work it’s 50 download/20 upload.

Downstairs in kitchen where I work when kids are asleep is 65 download. Router is in lounge.

Annoyingly my Smart TV lost internet connection last year and it keeps turning itself off when connecting. Software update/reset of TV does nothing, neither does hardwire to router. Bah.

On 08/02/2021 at 20:29, Dad3353 said:

One would be hard put to get Ethernet speeds from most USB sockets. :|

OK Most... but USB3 is 3 gigabits, USB3.2 super speed is 20 gigabits.

I have to use a wifi repeater and I'm currently running at 1.4 Mb/s - I can but dream of only 100 Mb/s

Edited by Stub Mandrel

It was said recently in the news that high definition streaming is contributing to climate change almost as much as air travel.

BBC Future

Even though new formats are material-free, that doesn’t mean they don’t have an environmental impact. The electronic files we download are stored on active, cooled servers. The information is then retrieved and transmitted across the network to a router, which is transferred by wi-fi to our electronic devices. This happens every time we stream a track, which costs energy.

I don't stream.  I like to own a physical copy or use a PVR to store whatever media I want to consume.

The news above wasn't a real concern at the time I made my decision to stay with broadcast telly and keep the Internet for use as a tool rather than as a source of entertainment.  I like discs as a storage and playback medium, either optical or vinyl.  I decided that streaming was over and above my requirements.  I don't have a household with children demanding parity with their peers.  I don't need a sledgehammer to crack my nuts, so to speak.  I have a cheaper connection as a consequence.  TV is not included in the package.

The events of the past year have made applications for jamming in real time over the Internet popular.  I have looked at getting into this myself.  I would however need a fatter connection and all the associated guff that comes with it.  My experience with VM has put me off dealing with ISPs altogether.  I probably won't be changing any time soon.

I am a dedicated hardwire user.  My meagre connection speed is not further compromised by the use of wireless.  I have no need of it since I never want to carry that sort of tech with me everywhere.

It's hard not to feel slightly smug given what is emerging about the impact on our environment that streaming causes.

Just now, SpondonBassed said:

Indeed.

The headline might be questionable but my needs (or the lack of them to be accurate) are the same.  Your point?

Now, now; no need to get tetchy..! :lol: I fully agree with you, that everything uses energy, and useless use is waste. Your choice of not having what these modern kids take as 'normal' is respected, by me, here, at least. No, I was simply trying to provide a wider vision on the true planetary cost of this modern junk. It's not a major factor; probably less than the power used in building, maintaining and decommissioning (ie: destroying...) a nuclear submarine. Carry on, lad, with my blessing, and for decades yet to come, I hope. :friends:

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Interesting.

Although when it comes to end-user usage there is no allowance made for a wired connection.

Also the most important point to make is that IMO unless you are a cinema anything over HD is fairly pointless. A neighbour has recently put in a 70" TV. In their small living room. It completely fills one wall and you can't sit far enough away from it to be able see the whole screen without moving your head. Also unless I am mistaken it doesn't actually make the script or the acting any better.

• Like 1

Ditch the BT Home Hub for better results.  I moved to a cheap-as-chips TP-Link 1350 router and I get a solid 45mbps over wi-fi. I think that's about the max of my current BT line speed, unless I upgrade to the next tier which has only recently become available.  Living in the sticks I get BT, BT, or at a push I can have BT!

Edited by DaytonaRik