Why become a member? ×

Wireless no more

Dan Dare

With us all being prisoners in our homes, my bands are keeping our fingers in trim via get togethers on Jamulus. You need a hard-wired internet connection to get the bandwidth and speed required. As I can't be bothered to keep switching the wi-fi on and off, I've been using the wired connection generally and Blimey. The difference is enormous. The sound quality on music videos, etc is in another league. I shan't be using wireless again unless there's really no alternative.

• Like 3

The problem is that most modern mobile devices don't have a socket for hard-wired connection to the internet. I'm not talking about phones, they'd be too small for that, but laptops lost theirs long ago, for instance, and I've been missing the option ever since.

Desktops should always be hard-wired if at all possible - at least for the time being, as they still come with sockets!

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

The problem is that most modern mobile devices don't have a socket for hard-wired connection to the internet. I'm not talking about phones, they'd be too small for that, but laptops lost theirs long ago, for instance, and I've been missing the option ever since.

You can get ethernet to USB converters for about a tenner.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thats true that. I`m in a small cupboard and with the laptop using the wireless signal I was getting about 50 mpbs. The modem is in my son`s room so I had to run quite a long cable to the laptop but now I get around 210 to 220. It cost about £80 for the cable and trunking to hide it but it was worth it.

My home PC is wired directly to my hub, in the same room. I guess it is faster, but with my ipad and iphone (and all other things wifi) getting over 27MB/s, with a ping of around 9ms, I don’t see the benefit of having wires all over the flat. 

Amazed to hear there is such a difference in music quality just by going to a wired connection. I can understand that latency will be better on wired, but with a decent wifi router there shouldn’t much difference in speed. 

• Like 1

It’s definitely true for using any kind of signal that needs sustained bandwidth because WiFi is generally just too flaky to deliver without the occasional glitch. One potential caveat if you have a faster connection is that the wired ports on many home WiFi hubs are shockingly 100Mbit (eg Virgin SuperHub). Fine for day to day work but if you’re paying for a faster connection, with wired you may not be getting it!

Yeah, i get the need for a solid  connection for critical use, but music videos?

We have a Virgin media SH3, but its only used in modem mode. This feeds a low end Nighthawk R8000. The two are very solid and quite often we get fester than we pay for, even on Wifi. 

Ive always kept a very close eye on download speeds at home. That comes from years of Usenet and seeing the download speed displayed. Its quite surpassing the number of people that done check their speed regularly.

1 hour ago, Nail Soup said:

We have forgotten about wired connections.

I've never subscribed to wireless.  I was overhauling wifi touchpads (Fujitsu Teampads) for Tesco's home shopping service during the noughties and I know how mediocre wireless connections are in a crunch.

Edited by SpondonBassed

1 hour ago, Bobthedog said:

My router is at the other end of the house to my Mac and so there is no chance of wiring. On the other side my wife is wired as she has the router in her study   

In many cases CPL performs better than WiFi. It's how our stone 'longère' cottage is set up; we have router-speed access from anywhere that has a mains socket. Just sayin'. B|

• Like 2

Our old network bubble was all hardwired...it was driven by the necessity of trying to shoot SkyTV HD (via HD over CAT5) all over the house along with the ability to change channels.

When we updated things (smart TV/no Sky/all wireless), I pulled out all the gubbins relating to the TV and they filled three carrier bags.

Wireless for the whole house is fine, although my work laptop is patchy, so that's wired.

11 hours ago, jezzaboy said:

Thats true that. I`m in a small cupboard and with the laptop using the wireless signal I was getting about 50 mpbs. The modem is in my son`s room so I had to run quite a long cable to the laptop but now I get around 210 to 220. It cost about £80 for the cable and trunking to hide it but it was worth it.

Is this the updated Harry Potter origin story?

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

My laptop sits in a docking station, which gives me extra USB sockets, twin monitor connections, and (fanfare) an ethernet socket. It's the ideal solution for me, as it means I don't have to unplug anything when I bring my laptop out of my office space.

• Like 1

The wifi is poor in our house, so we've purchased 'TP Link home plugs' for our laptops and internet tvs (all of which tend to stay in the same place), and it has significantly improved service speed and solves the cabling problem. I noticed this morning that our local Tesco is selling a pair for £30 which seems a good deal.

• Thanks 1

Here WiFi is restricted to devices that have not other way of connecting to the network.

When my house finally gets finished (that's another story) there will be wired Gigabit ethernet connections in a variety of locations in every room. Since the vast majority of devices I have are either in a fixed location or require a PSU or both, there seems to be little point in using WiFi. It's just another unnecessary layer of complexity.

• Thanks 1

My main PC is hardwired. It's so much better than wifi that at some point I'm going to hire a massive drill so I can go through a double layer wall (used to be an exterior one before an extension was built) to get a wired connection to my PS4.

I use the PS4 for all all media in the lounge and although it's good with streamed video stuff it gets blockly occasionally.

On 06/02/2021 at 20:27, Silvia Bluejay said:

That would put me right off buying one. Thankfully my MacBook has an ethernet socket, but when I need to replace it, I'll have to think long and hard whether I'll be prepared to dispense with that. It's bad enough only having two flippin' USB sockets - it feels like form over function is going a wee bit too far.

• Like 1

My laptop doesn't have an ethernet connection, so I bought a cheapo USB-Ethernet cable from ebay and it works fine as a connection to the home plug. Wireless of course would be simpler, but the home plug system has transformed laptop and TV operation in a house with a poor wireless signal.