Why become a member? ×

Anybody got an old Fender Mustang? What's it like compared to the newer ones?

police squad

I have owned a '71 competition stripe, a couple of CIJ reissues from late 90s/early 00s, and a newer US P/J Mustang

Of the three model types, the new US one somehow felt sterile and lacking in character and I sold it on quickly. In all truth there was not much between the '71 and the CIJ reissues, either in sound or playability. The '71 had bag loads of character from the ageing/mojo and a lovely deep thump. I sold it on as I bought a shiny new toy (a Serek short scale) but regret having done so (and have since asked the buyer unsuccessfully if he would sell it back to me ...)

Comes down to budget. If I had a spare £2k I would buy a pre-72 Mustang (thinner neck, lighter weight than mid-70s Mustangs) but if I were more budget constrained I would be more than happy to buy a good condition second hand CIJ reissue Mustang.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Clarky said:

I sold it on as I bought a shiny new toy (a Serek short scale) but regret having done so (and have since asked the buyer unsuccessfully if he would sell it back to me ...)

It was hearing a Serek that sent me down the short scale, rabbit hole.

I have a Japanese reissue, probably early 2000’s, that I do most recording with, despite having better quality/more expensive instruments. Something about it just fits really well in recordings, better than a P-bass in most instances. Live, however, it doesn’t keep up with a P or a J, IMO.

I got turned onto them for recording by repeatedly being asked to use a 70s one in a studio. It was the studio owner’s, and despite it having decades old strings of different brands that had visible and tactile dings, and a neck afflicted with severe leprosy, it had a tone to die for. I’ll find a photo if I can stomach looking for it - it really was that bad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gareth Hughes said:

I have a Japanese reissue, probably early 2000’s, that I do most recording with, despite having better quality/more expensive instruments. Something about it just fits really well in recordings, better than a P-bass in most instances. Live, however, it doesn’t keep up with a P or a J, IMO.

I got turned onto them for recording by repeatedly being asked to use a 70s one in a studio. It was the studio owner’s, and despite it having decades old strings of different brands that had visible and tactile dings, and a neck afflicted with severe leprosy, it had a tone to die for. I’ll find a photo if I can stomach looking for it - it really was that bad.

sounds epic

2 hours ago, dhammers said:

what'd you think of the Grand? 

Beautifully put together, easiest bass I ever played due to superb roasted neck and fretwork. But the limited tonal options and my lack of need for a fuzz sound meant I preferred the "meat and potatoes" Midwestern. Hence I kept the latter

• Like 1

I've owned 3 mustangs; a jmj, a walnut 75, and currently I own a competition blue 71 (ex Clarky). 

All 3 sound(ed) really nice, though I think the 71 has a bit extra to the sound which makes it that it would sound ace with any set of strings. Some basses just have that quality. Its also the most comfortable of the ones I've owned (balance, contoured body).

As for build quality (fit/finish), the jmj wins heads down. It seems like any Fender products from Squier affinity and up have tighter neck pockets than most vintage Fenders... On the 71 its pretty good for the Era, but it's not as tight as we would consider acceptable from a new bass nowadays. 

The strings on my Mustang are the labellas Mustang flats it came with last summer. Usually I don't like the old school sound, but these really do well with loads of character. My choice for a bit more modern sound is a set of fender flats, which sounds great too. 

Edited by SurroundedByManatees
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, SurroundedByManatees said:

I've owned 3 mustangs; a jmj, a walnut 75, and currently I own a competition blue 71 (ex Clarky). 

All 3 sound(ed) really nice, though I think the 71 has a bit extra to the sound which makes it that it would sound ace with any set of strings. Some basses just have that quality. Its also the most comfortable of the ones I've owned (balance, contoured body). As for build quality (fit/finish), the jmj wins heads down. 

The strings on my Mustang are the labellas Mustang flats it came with last summer. Usually I don't like the old school sound, but these really do well with loads of character. My choice for a bit more modern sound is a set of fender flats, which sounds great too. 

My JMJ currently has the stock Fender flats but I was considering getting a set of the LaBella Mustang flats. Are they darker than the Fenders?

I’ve owned a couple of MIJ Mustangs and now own a Mexican PJ Mustang. My memory isn’t good enough to compare them. The Mexican Mustang is well put together and a very competent bass but doesn’t seem to have anything outstanding about it apart from the pearl green paint job and limited run maple board. I’ve put a Quarter Pounder in the bridge position to give me a bit of versatility and snarl. However a few years back I bought a late 70’s Musicmaster from this site. When I bought it, it had been fitted with a Wizard P Pickup along with the original guard and gubbins. Again - nothing special except lots of mojo. However, I changed the pickup to a cheapo Artec dual rail jobby, put a new bridge on, and strung it with TI flats and a pro setup and wow. She’s got tone for days, a real vintagey vibe and plays luvverly. Used her for either my first or second Stray gig at The Craufurd and would have no hesitation in taking her out live again. Awesome little bass - especially considering I picked her up for (IIRC) less than £400

IMG_20210211_090713268_HDR-01.jpeg

Edited by King Tut
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, King Tut said:

However a few years back I bought a late 70’s Musicmaster from this site. When I bought it, it had been fitted with a Wizard P Pickup along with the original guard and gubbins. Again - nothing special except lots of mojo. However, I changed the pickup to a cheapo Artec dual rail jobby, put a new bridge on, and strung it with TI flats and a pro setup and wow. She’s got tone for days, a real vintagey vibe and plays luvverly. Used her for either my first or second Stray gig at The Craufurd and would have no hesitation in taking her out live again. Awesome little bass - especially considering I picked her up for (IIRC) less than £400

That sounds like my old one?  Big but stable split in the upper horn?

4 minutes ago, Paul S said:

That sounds like my old one?  Big but stable split in the upper horn?

Yes, but it wasn’t a split - it was where glue had run from the strap button towards the body and looked like a repair. I literally T-Cut it out and it disappeared!

17 minutes ago, King Tut said:

Yes, but it wasn’t a split - it was where glue had run from the strap button towards the body and looked like a repair. I literally T-Cut it out and it disappeared!

Well actually, it didn't disappear but the nature of what had happened became more obvious. I've tried to take a pic but it's not too clear. Unless @Paul S knows different I can't see how it could be a split that turned a corner and disappeared!

IMG_20210211_091336423-01.jpeg

Edited by King Tut