Why become a member? ×

Finding "The One"

TheGreek

31 minutes ago, 4000 said:

You’re really good at reading what someone has posted and running with it aren’t you?  🙄
Firstly, I was talking about all the basses I’ve ever played, which is clearly stated in my post. I also play everything acoustically before plugging it in, So that cuts out amps, speakers etc. Yes, strings and action plays a part, but everything plays a part, which is kind of the point. 

And hey, it’s not my fault if you’ve got cloth ears. 

Well, if you only ever play your basses acoustically you must have great ears, but how does anyone else hear them?

40 minutes ago, 4000 said:

You’re really good at reading what someone has posted and running with it aren’t you?  🙄

Not really my argument but if you really wanted to prove this point ^

40 minutes ago, 4000 said:

I also play everything acoustically before plugging it in

7 minutes ago, mikel said:

Well, if you only ever play your basses acoustically you must have great ears, but how does anyone else hear them?

^ this does it really well.

I presume that statement is intentional trolling as there is no way any reasonable person could read 'I only ever play my basses acoustically' from 'I play it acoustically before plugging in'

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 4000 said:

. 😉nteresting about the Pedulla & Spector as I’ve tended to find the opposite, but that could be down to electronics; most of the Spectors I’ve played have had EMGs (and various pre’s) and all the Pedullas have had Barts, which I normally dislike fairly intensely but which seem to really work in Pedullas. 

I've replaced the electronics in both basses.  The Pedulla has Alembic Activators and a low pass filter but I'll change that filter at some point.  The Spector has a custom set of Wizard soap bars and a Noll 3 band semi parametric eq.  The differences are definitely down to the neck.  zI can feel them. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Would it be one of your 15 if you had that?

I personally prefer my purely passive BB 1025 which is otherwise very similar to the active / passive BB 735A, so the 1025 has stayed in my herd and the BB 735A didn't. 

The OP was keen on an active circuit in his criteria though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I personally prefer my purely passive BB 1025 which is otherwise very similar to the active / passive BB 735A, so the 1025 has stayed in my herd and the BB 735A didn't. 

Yamaha numbers never made any sense to me! I assumed a 4 digit number would be a higher level than a 3 digit number - probably because that is the ibanez way. I suppose there is no real logic with numbers.

15 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

One of the things I have kinda picked up on forums down the years is that it seems 5 string basses are harder to find amazing ones, whereas a 4 string more ppl are satisfied with a cheap Harley Benton or sue Ryder or equivalent. Have you found that? 
and with your four stringers - which is the ‘one‘?

I think that's more about cheaper 5 strings often having poor B strings and cheap active electronics, whereas a lot of cheap 4 strings are simple P or J style. Thankfully, brands like Sire are changing that. 

17 hours ago, mikel said:

The reason all those famous P  bass players sound different could easily be down to the strings and action they prefer, pickups, the amp and speakers they use, how they boost or cut the tone and the processing involved.

It all adds up, but the biggest reason that they all sound different is because because they are different people with their own technique.

I don't know if you've heard the SMV album? There is a track on there where Marcus and Stanley swap basses, and they still sound like themselves.

4 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Yamaha numbers never made any sense to me! I assumed a 4 digit number would be a higher level than a 3 digit number - probably because that is the ibanez way. I suppose there is no real logic with numbers.

We run intensive "how to work out what the bloody hell is going on with Yammy BB numbering" courses on the Yamaha BB thread. It's free to all BC members.