Why become a member? ×

Finding "The One"

TheGreek

Honestly I really am a nice guy but I do enjoy robust debate.

Primus?.  What bass, hes playing it as a lead instrument....come off it r u serious?

MM?....hes slapping it which is nothing new, we were doing  that 40 years ago

Janek?.  Thats just Jaco with a variation.

The other  band is just a bassless noise...sorry

1 minute ago, greavesbass said:

Honestly I really am a nice guy but I do enjoy robust debate.

Primus?.  What bass, hes playing it as a lead instrument....come off it r u serious?

Janek?.  Thats just Jaco with a variation.

The other  band is just a bassless noise...sorry

Whether you personally like the music / playing style / genre is irrelevant to the original point you made, which is that there is only 3 types of bass tone. Which is just not true I'm afraid. I have just in 5 minutes pointed out 4 different bass tones. 

8 minutes ago, Crawford13 said:

In all honesty you haven't mentioned a single musician from the last 30 years so perhaps it's not the "young" players chasing their tone that need to open their ears. 

Just to get you started:

Blimey Ive been down this rabbit hole a million times.

What is bass? What is its purpose? If you want ur bass to sound like a lead guitar and neglect the purpose of the job then I suppose sadly new music has basically decided that bass is no longer an instrument that is required....almost like shooting one self in the foot because of the need to be different. Sounds like a rather sad state of affairs. 

3 minutes ago, Crawford13 said:

Whether you personally like the music / playing style / genre is irrelevant to the original point you made, which is that there is only 3 types of bass tone. Which is just not true I'm afraid. I have just in 5 minutes pointed out 4 different bass

I said three with variations, you appear to be saying there are a myriad of exciting new bass tones that we haven't heard yet. Well if you think the trebly twangy Primus tone is a good bass tone then we are on very different pages it seems.

5 minutes ago, ped said:

There’s always one “it’s all in the fingers” guy who thinks they can get a Musicman sound from a Hofner

Musicman is just a Jaco tone

But fair point forgot about the Hof hollow body spectrum,  ok so thats four basic tones.

All in the fingers?...I never said that...

15 minutes ago, greavesbass said:

But fair point forgot about the Hof hollow body spectrum,  ok so thats four basic tones.

All in the fingers?...I never said that...

Ah sorry I wasn’t referring to your posts. But the Musicman sound is 100% not a Jaco sound. I’m not going down this rabbit hole but it’s true to say every bass sounds different. That’s why there are so many types.

Normally then someone says ‘so what, the audience don’t notice’ - again, not you necessarily - but I think actually they do (but they might not realise it) and even if they don’t, unless you’re slaving away doing it as a job and don’t care what you sound like that’s fine. I’d wager anyone with enough interest to join a forum about basses has an interest in the minutiae that makes it such a rich, varied instrument. 

42 minutes ago, greavesbass said:

Blimey Ive been down this rabbit hole a million times.

What is bass? What is its purpose? If you want ur bass to sound like a lead guitar and neglect the purpose of the job then I suppose sadly new music has basically decided that bass is no longer an instrument that is required....almost like shooting one self in the foot because of the need to be different. Sounds like a rather sad state of affairs. 

Blimey, is it still 1958?😂

• Haha 1

My experience of not owning fancy amps and using one bass and not worrying about tone and ‘my sound’, comes from playing in a small function band, where I do honestly believe I could pick up almost any bass and amp and make it work for that situation.

That situation is very different to being a recording musician. My very oldest and closest friend is a recording musician and has done some very high profile film score contributions and TV shows etc.  In that environment, his instruments make a very big difference and react in different ways to what gear he uses. In that situation I fully accept and realise it is not just about the fingers, you need tools to do certain things and as such the concept of ‘the one’ is redundant. 

I think the overall message here is that we can and have all probably been far too caught up in the minutia of gear and specs when in most cases it makes almost no difference to the band or music we are making. That’s not to say it doesn’t have an effect on our playing or confidence because I know how much better I feel at a gig when my bass sounds ‘right’. That said the inconsistencies of playing live have got me to the point where I don’t really think preamps, woods, strings, pickup brand or much else will ever get me to a place where I have a consistent repeatable tone. 

But that’s just one mans experience and I like hearing everyone else’s.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, greavesbass said:

And the rest which is a soft P bassy type of tone by just about everybody else.

Because Jamerson, JJ Burnel, Pino, Tim Lefebvre, 'Ready' Freddie, and Scott Thunes all sound the same on a P Bass?

46 minutes ago, greavesbass said:

He was also doing it in hit records over 40 years ago.  Of course it's not new.

21 minutes ago, greavesbass said:

Just no.

29 minutes ago, ped said:

... I’d wager anyone with enough interest to join a forum about basses has an interest in the minutiae that makes it such a rich, varied instrument. 

But not enough to even play at home, still less practice, for a year, for many, apparently. No point; no gigs. :(

33 minutes ago, Doddy said:

Because Jamerson, JJ Burnel, Pino, Tim Lefebvre, 'Ready' Freddie, and Scott Thunes all sound the same on a P Bass?

He was also doing it in hit records over 40 years ago.  Of course it's not new.

Just no.

I said robust debate not...well..ummm.. right.

Jamerson. The softish typical hit parade P bass tone.

JJ Burnel.  Thats the Squire clank!

Pino.  If Jaco slid up and down a fretless neck thats how he'd sound

Im old so dont know about the Tim guy

And Freddie plays a P bass with rounds so he slaps and plays fingerstyle. I dont think the audience can really here the difference between the P bass slapped and Marcus Millers J bass slapped.

22 minutes ago, greavesbass said:

I said robust debate not...well..ummm.. right.

Jamerson. The softish typical hit parade P bass tone.

JJ Burnel.  Thats the Squire clank!

Pino.  If Jaco slid up and down a fretless neck thats how he'd sound

Im old so dont know about the Tim guy

And Freddie plays a P bass with rounds so he slaps and plays fingerstyle. I dont think the audience can really here the difference between the P bass slapped and Marcus Millers J bass slapped.

Your debate is far from robust.

First off, I'm not talking about Pino's fretless playing. I'm talking about his Precision Bass work, which is why I compared all those guys. All play a Precision bass, yet all of them sound different.

The audience might not know the difference between a Precision or a Jazz,  but we aren't on AudienceChat. It does, however, matter to musicians, band leaders and producers. 

Maybe you should know about Tim Lefebvre. It's not like he's top level player and big influence on a lot of players or anything.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, NJE said:

My experience of not owning fancy amps and using one bass and not worrying about tone and ‘my sound’, comes from playing in a small function band, where I do honestly believe I could pick up almost any bass and amp and make it work for that situation.

That situation is very different to being a recording musician. My very oldest and closest friend is a recording musician and has done some very high profile film score contributions and TV shows etc.  In that environment, his instruments make a very big difference and react in different ways to what gear he uses. In that situation I fully accept and realise it is not just about the fingers, you need tools to do certain things and as such the concept of ‘the one’ is redundant. 

I think the overall message here is that we can and have all probably been far too caught up in the minutia of gear and specs when in most cases it makes almost no difference to the band or music we are making. That’s not to say it doesn’t have an effect on our playing or confidence because I know how much better I feel at a gig when my bass sounds ‘right’. That said the inconsistencies of playing live have got me to the point where I don’t really think preamps, woods, strings, pickup brand or much else will ever get me to a place where I have a consistent repeatable tone. 

But that’s just one mans experience and I like hearing everyone else’s.

Whatever you enjoy, like get's you through the day is fine by me.  We are all different and that what is so refreshing.  The way one person hears something is compltely different to another person.    I enjoy the search and am pretty sure will never be happy.........but I am happy with tat and the searching!!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Doddy said:

Your debate is far from robust.

First off, I'm not talking about Pino's fretless playing. I'm talking about his Precision Bass work, which is why I compared all those guys. All play a Precision bass, yet all of them sound different.

The audience might not know the difference between a Precision or a Jazz,  but we aren't on AudienceChat. It does, however, matter to musicians, band leaders and producers. 

Maybe you should know about Tim Lefebvre. It's not like he's top level player and big influence on a lot of players or anything.

So you could argue if they all play the same instrument, but they all sound different, then its not about the instrument. Its more likely about the amplification, the acoustics and the processing, not "the one". Just a thought.

8 minutes ago, Paul S said:

I can sum up my view by saying 'I have found The One, but it isn't the one and only'.

This is the point I was trying to make, but not quite as succinctly. 

I think some of the debate here is about entirely different things. 

• Like 1