Why become a member? ×

Meridian Funk-U-Lator (fixed!)

ped

6 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

Are you using this with the Wing Bass?

All of my basses but it does sound cool with the wing. 

A nice quirk is when you set the attack just right (which is actually more like a sensitivity control) you can 'beat' the filter when you do a pop on the G string, so you can play a synth filter baseline and accentuate it with clean pops. Sounds cool with the P bass especially.

51 minutes ago, ped said:

All of my basses but it does sound cool with the wing. 

A nice quirk is when you set the attack just right (which is actually more like a sensitivity control) you can 'beat' the filter when you do a pop on the G string, so you can play a synth filter baseline and accentuate it with clean pops. Sounds cool with the P bass especially.

"Beat the Filter"  Basschat's new Gameshow? 🤣

• Haha 2

On 12/04/2021 at 10:42, ped said:

Thanks, yes I had a look inside - two big PCBs stacked together covered with bits and bobs!

I like the sound of the filter side, but as it sounds like a band pass (which I prefer for the quack) it needs dry below it too. The octave/synth side is great actually, and works fine currently. I've never been a huge fan of octaves but this one sounds really musical and the synth/fuzz that you can add in gives it a bit of a unique bite.

I've downloaded your C4 patches and will give those a try later!

The Octave down is an OC2 circuit, id you go fully wet you can easily get the OC2 subby synth sound. The 5 knob version I have has far less control. It makes some great sounds, but it's a less versatile that your expanded unit. I have a particular sound that I'm very fond of, which I keep dialled in. It's a little bit of blend, octave up full and Octave down on full. Very synthy. The octave up has a nasally distortion applied, which I really like. It's not applied to the Octave down. My SA C4 patch approximates that particular sound and the dirt is only applied on the Octave up too. It's not exact but it's pretty close. 

Congraz on getting your pedal / panel back. How do you find the filter without the octaves? On my model, the filter doesn't sound great on it's own. I'm sure it's only intended to be used in conjunction with either of the two octavers.    

• 11 months later...
On 12/05/2021 at 23:52, GMC said:

The Octave down is an OC2 circuit, id you go fully wet you can easily get the OC2 subby synth sound. The 5 knob version I have has far less control. It makes some great sounds, but it's a less versatile that your expanded unit. I have a particular sound that I'm very fond of, which I keep dialled in. It's a little bit of blend, octave up full and Octave down on full. Very synthy. The octave up has a nasally distortion applied, which I really like. It's not applied to the Octave down. My SA C4 patch approximates that particular sound and the dirt is only applied on the Octave up too. It's not exact but it's pretty close. 

Congraz on getting your pedal / panel back. How do you find the filter without the octaves? On my model, the filter doesn't sound great on it's own. I'm sure it's only intended to be used in conjunction with either of the two octavers.    

I actually sold the pedal and bought it back again because I realised that it was a big mistake (and I’m sort of helping Franco design the new version). 

Good question re the filter on its own. I spent some real time with it today because I’ve never spent long enough learning what the range and attack knobs do because they definitely interact in an unusual way. 

I’ve got it dialled in just right now with my stingray. It’s been great comparing it with my other filters - I can get pretty close to the high band squelch I like if the Mutron (I usually use high mode) and I really like the way that it responds with a very quick decay. It’s quite easy to go wild and it doesn’t do subtle as well as the Mutron which just sounds warm and greasy all the time. 

I’m finding the octaver tracks better than my OC2 actually… again it sounds a bit different to my ears, maybe less synthy and a bit sharper. The ‘synth’ knob (square wave) gives a crunchy edge. Used solo with dry signal only it sounds like a fuzz, quite looking forward to trying that live. Three pedals in one…

8F81CE65-96A0-4D9E-87A6-B8C3F9F59300.jpeg