Why become a member? ×

It's a Trap!!

mowf

3 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Quick note to remind you gentlemen that shoes, handbags and, yes, children, are not the only interests women have. And we're not stupid.

Just sayin'. 😉

You’ve fallen into the classic trap of thinking that I’m generalising when in fact I’m being specific about one particular female. Feel free to take it up with her. I wish you good luck.

• Like 1

Nah, mine was just a reminder. The female in question - and indeed anyone else - is free to like shoes and handbags, no prob with that. Just as long as we remember that there's a wide variety of things women may be interested in (more than in knowing which bass guitar is which), that never seems to make it into this kind of conversations. :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FDC484950 said:

Exactly! You have to bargain using terms your partner can understand.

Spot on! 

I'd answer instantly that my "keeper" is my Sadowsky Metro HPJ-RV. I'd relate it to my darling wife; my soul mate and lifelong partner. Then I'd patiently explain that my other four basses are like my girlfriends and mistresses. I could live without them, but variety is the spice of life. They give me some welcome relief and ensure that I come back to my sadowsky refreshed and all the more appreciative of it after a brief break. 

Most importantly, my five string does things down in the bottom area which my Sadowsky would be unwilling and unable to do. 

I think she'd totally understand after all that. 

Edited by mingsta
  • Haha 4

When presented with my making a trip to Norfolk at zero notice to pick up an instrument that appeared on my radar without warning my partner simply said;

"A 200 mile round-trip after work in the wet / dark in a Fiesta with dodgy brakes?"

"I'm coming too, but it'll cost you a McDonalds and a toffee latte, as we won't have time dinner. C'mon, let's go!"

Bless her.

Edited by Lfalex v1.1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Quick note to remind you gentlemen that shoes, handbags and, yes, children, are not the only interests women have. And we're not stupid.

Just sayin'. 😉

While I agree with you, my wife and I do fall into that cliché of me liking basses and her liking shoes. 

Once when yet another pair of shoes arrived I commented in jest, "How many pairs of shoes can you possibly wear with one pair of feet?" To which she replied, "How many basses can you possibly play with one pair of hands?" 

I don't question the shoes anymore. 😉

In reality we share the bills and buy what we want with the surplus. We trust each other to not buy something stupid and jeopardise our finances so it's all good. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Just sayin'. 😉

Stay away from my boots and heels. I’m watching you.

• Haha 1

My wife is not the problem, she has no interest in my study / come music room. 
Until she retired, however, we had a housekeeper who was superb but for one indiscretion which was almost a sackable offence. I came home one day to hear Mrs BtD say “Paulene tells me you have a new bass”. I did in fact have not, I had just taken one out of a case for the first time in a while. I mentioned this to Paulene and nary a word was ever said again on the subject (nor the new basses that subsequently appeared)

Edited by Bobthedog

4 hours ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Just sayin'. 😉

Nope, all women only like shoes, handbags and children and all men are terrible pigs that think all womens only like shoes, handbags and children. True fact. 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

"So, what's it got to do with you?" doesn't work then! 🙂

Yes it does. I laid the foundation for this very early by telling my wife that her money was her own and she didn't need to justify to me what she spent it on. Sauce for the Goose etc. Sneaky eh?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Just sayin'. 😉

Of course, Silvia.  I am dismayed that you may have been left with the impression that men are so misogynistic and shallow to believe those could possibly be a woman's only interests.  I am sure you are also interested in makeup, jewelery, tanning studios, eyelashes, eyebrows, nails, washing, ironing, recipes, TV soaps ...   🤨 

• Haha 3

I have 3 essential instruments:

1. My white Rickenbacker 4001 bass, which my dad helped my buy.
  2. My fireglo Rickenbacker 4001 bass, which I bought with the money my Grandfather left me.
  3. A Fender USA Strat I bought with the money my stepmother left me. (My ex-wife gave me a hard time for wanting to waste my money on that when things needed doing to the house or whatever - she's gone and I've still got the guitar and the house...)

I've got one or two others which are keepers:

1. My black Rickenbacker 4003, which seems to be my go-to bass.
  2. My Strat partscaster with a Warmoth neck.

I've also got about 50 others, which I quite like having about the place.

Edited by prowla

Quick word of warning. When asked the question, "Why have you got so many basses? You can only play one at a time", do NOT under ANY circumstances be tempted to reply along the lines of "well you've got loads of skirts, but you can only squeeze your árse into one at a time". I, errm, have a friend who tried this and the result was very painful. He says.

My wife has no problem me buying basses, as long as they aren't ugly. Several basses (and guitars) didn't get to hang around as long as they would have otherwise as in conversations they would be 'you know, the gibson', 'no, which one is that', 'the brown one', 'oh the ugly one!'.

The opposite is also true. "I might sell the Maruszczyk', "which one is that', 'the black and red one', 'Oh no, you can't sell that, thats my favourite'.