Why become a member? ×

Basschat easy-build lockdown cab project

stevie

We're back on! Cancelled order earlier this week, but a very nice lady from Woodsheets just phoned to say they have birch ply stock arriving on Tuesday. Sweet!

Edited by Bigwan
  • Like 1

What are people using for cases with this cabinet? I am trying to see if a cahon case would work but it looks like the cabinet is too big sadly.

While I'm here, I built three cabinets but only have two woofers. Reading back on this thread it looks like the cabinet dimensions are the same as the BC112mk2. Is that true? Can I just buy a beyma and create a new baffle?

7 hours ago, chyc said:

What are people using for cases with this cabinet? I am trying to see if a cahon case would work but it looks like the cabinet is too big sadly.

While I'm here, I built three cabinets but only have two woofers. Reading back on this thread it looks like the cabinet dimensions are the same as the BC112mk2. Is that true? Can I just buy a beyma and create a new baffle?

There may be a bit of confusion here, we never really settled on a naming convention for the BC designs. The Mk1 cab was a single 12 (112) with a single 12"driver in a nominal 50l cab using the Beyma 212 speaker. The mk2 was a 112T using a Celestion ceramic tweeter in a different 50l cab but was short lived because the Beyma SM212 was discontinued. The Mk 3 was the same cab with a neo Faital driver and a neo Celestion tweeter.

I then built a modified 30l cab as a demo at a bass bash and as part of a project to design in a limited bass response to avoid room resonances in small spaces. That was originally with a Beyma SM212 driver but updated later with a Beyma 12CMV2 and that cab was basically used for the lockdown cab 110T in this thread.

So, yes you can use the 30l cab for a 12" speaker including the Beyma SM212 and the 12CMV2. I've built and gigged both and if you are happy with a limited bass response in a trade off for a more portable 1x12 then the cab works well. I gigged mine for a while but now if I want a small cab its the lockdown 110T that I use. If you are buying a 12" speaker for the 30l 'Easy Build" cab then I'd go for the 12CMV2 which just sounded better in an A/B test to my ears and is cheaper and more readily available.  If you have an SM212 it will work in the easy build 12 https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/324014-easy-12-cab-build/

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
15 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Could the first post be updated to include the final design measurements and specs for the drivers and crossover?

I'm going cross-eyed trying to be sure I have the final spec.

First of all apologies, I have said that I'd write up all the builds as a proper instruction guide and life just hasn't let me get round to it. Last night for example we were rehearsing a new dep drummer, it's always something. I probably spend too much time on BC to be honest but it is fun.

Feel free to PM me if you can't find what you need.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Question… I can understand why 4R 10" speakers are scarcer than 8R ones.

But why are any 4R ones that have a decent low-frequency range or an efficiency above 90dB so scarce?

Market demand? 4R is mainly for cars, 8R is mainly for HiFi etc. or something along those lines.

And as for 4R neo 5" or 6" - I have not found any yet.

David

On 19/06/2023 at 20:55, Mottlefeeder said:

Market demand? 4R is mainly for cars, 8R is mainly for HiFi etc. or something along those lines.

And as for 4R neo 5" or 6" - I have not found any yet.

David

Back to lookng at Eminence 12" 4R drivers...

10 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Back to lookng at Eminence 12" 4R drivers...

Eminence Drivers typically have a peak around the crossover point that could be a problem. I would not use them unless the crossover were well below the peak.