Why become a member? ×

Basschat easy-build lockdown cab project

stevie

22 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

You've not seen me dealing with electrons, have you? Best keep it that way ...

😂

Soldering is obviously preferable, but there's a good chance the crossover and wiring could be configured to be solderless - using spade connectors and a terminal strip, for which you'd just need pliars and a small flat screwdriver. It depends on how the crossover turns out. Keep watching.

• Like 1

On 13/02/2021 at 22:54, Happy Jack said:

You've not seen me dealing with electrons, have you? Best keep it that way ...

😂

Now you have us thinking, we could do the crossover with one of theseCable Splicing Block Connectors

and these for connecting the speaker, no soldering needed. Spade Type Connector Female 1.5mm Red - Toolstation

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Following this with interest, thanks guys.

The main obstacle for me is that I can't see me cutting the circle in the baffle for the speaker with any precision. Is there a good way to do it accurately?? Maybe I'm missing something obvious.

Thanks again.

4 hours ago, funkydoug said:

The main obstacle for me is that I can't see me cutting the circle in the baffle for the speaker with any precision. Is there a good way to do it accurately?? Maybe I'm missing something obvious.

Thanks again.

A jigsaw is good and you can get special blades for cutting curves which makes it easier. I'll put some practical tips into the build diary when we get to the end. We've chosen a port which has a lip which will cover up any inaccuracies

Edited by Phil Starr
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

A jigsaw is good and you can get special blades for cutting curves which makes it easier. I'll put some practical tips into the build diary when we get to the end. We've chosen a port which has a lip which will cover up any inaccuracies

Hopefully this helps.

1076892998_Jigsawbladesforcircles.thumb.jpg.4fdfddf89254b2dec1cfe2e6135e8174.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, nilebodgers said:

Ah - lack of those explains the pony result of my last attempt to jigsaw a curve on a bit of ply.

Always best to use the right tool. It really is easy with the skinny blades. Incidently, I am not clever but when you make as many mistakes as I do, eventually you get  to the  right answer.

Edited by Chienmortbb
  • Like 1

Yes I use the T101A blade, in fact I was using it 2 mins ago. Obviously it is not ideal for straight cuts. For speakers I use a down cutting blade the T101BR and cut from the side that will be on the outside of the cab. Don't use pendulum when down-cutting with a jigsaw and be aware that the cutting stroke pushes upwards so hold the saw stady and start with it away from the cut as it will jump a little if the blade is touching the timber. The T101B is the blade to use for general purpose cutting of ply MDF , the other blades are for deeper materials and coarser/faster cutting.

So a little progress with a few holes cut, all done with a jig-saw and using the blades shown above. You can see the marks for the original positions but Stevie wanted the horn closer to the bass driver. I've allowed for the extra width of the speaker surround and the lip of the horn and the bass port which will all cover up the minor imperfections

IMG_0360.JPG

IMG_0361.JPG

Edited by Phil Starr
  • Like 5

On 15/02/2021 at 17:08, funkydoug said:

Thanks again.

Find the centre of the hole. Bang a nail through it. Now you can spin the board keeping the jigsaw still and feeding the line into it. Drill a hole to get you started

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, stewblack said:

Find the centre of the hole. Bang a nail through it. Now you can spin the board keeping the jigsaw still and feeding the line into it. Drill a hole to get you started

That's a nifty idea - saves having to adjust your posture/angle all the time. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, nilebodgers said:

What is the current candidate for the horn+hf driver?

I've got a Celestion CDX1-1070 and a B&C ME10 horn waiting to be installed.

That makes the cost of the drivers and horn under £90 in total. Total weight comes in at under 4kg. The benefit of using these drivers is that they're readily available worldwide. In the UK, the Celestions are available from a number of outlets, but Lean Business are currently offering free shipping on Celestion. The horn's available from Blue Arran. No free shipping, but you can pick up any bits and pieces (like cabinet corners and feet) when you order the horn.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Please describe in detail your technique.

OK. Draw circle on panel. Drill hole inside the edge of the circle. Place panel on work bench with hole just over the edge. Jigsaw blade into hole. Start cutting, pulling panel towards you. 

Stop. Remove tins, tools, cup of tea which panel almost knocks from bench. Resume. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Any recommendation as to who to buy these from?

I'd get the Pulse 10 and Celestion comp from Lean Business and take advantage of their free delivery. Blue Aran don't stock Celestion but they're selling the B&C horn for under a tenner. Both companies are good to deal with.

https://www.lean-business.co.uk/eshop/

http://www.bluearan.co.uk/

Edited by stevie
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stevie said:

I've got a Celestion CDX1-1070 and a B&C ME10 horn waiting to be installed.

That makes the cost of the drivers and horn under £90 in total. Total weight comes in at under 4kg. The benefit of using these drivers is that they're readily available worldwide. In the UK, the Celestions are available from a number of outlets, but Lean Business are currently offering free shipping on Celestion. The horn's available from Blue Arran. No free shipping, but you can pick up any bits and pieces (like cabinet corners and feet) when you order the horn.

Blue Aran are really cheap for the bits and pieces, I recently looked for some new corners and even the direct from China stuff can be more expensive. They are also the stockists for Tuff Cab the textured paint we all tend to use for cabs nowadays so worth thinking about ordering at the same time to save postage costs.