Why become a member? ×

Roasted Maple Neck

Owen

Visually, roasted standard maple v birds eye/flame maple with aged varnish. I would say the maple board Sabre sounds more akin to a rosewood board or perhaps mid way between a rosewood and maple board - as both the Sabre and Stingray have 2 band EQ the only other significant differences are mahogany v ash body, and stainless v nickel frets - so not conclusive at all!!! We really need to hear from someone with a maple board Stingray Special!!

image.thumb.jpeg.441601e9d4d015807a1f1a4732496650.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.13a516676e5d3d49a58ac451933ef0ea.jpeg 

• Like 1

Well @drTStingray once the Sterling turns up I’ll be sure to compare and contrast with the stingray special 5 I briefly owned before Christmas. I sold a Sterling 5 HH with the same electronics, body wood etc as the new Sterling, so the only difference will be the roasted maple neck. Given that it’s probably that a large part of a MM bass sound is in the electronics I should hopefully be able to hear whether the roasted maple neck and board sounds markedly different. For me, the Special sounded too hi-fi and smooth, and I struggled to get that aggressive Stingray tone. I guess its because I loved older Stingrays back when the had ceramic pickups wired in series. One things for sure, the roasted maple neck and board looked and felt superb :)