Why become a member? ×

NAD - Ashdown 12 band 600

sshorepunk

Ashdown 12 band

I recently took delivery of the new Ashdown 12 band amps, Since building a music room on the top floor of my house I decided I needed a second amp as I have two 2x10’s, one is in the longue for convenient practice and the other is in the new room

I initially looked for a small class D amp, Markbass etc, then decided to pursue an MK500 that came up for sale, but that fell through due to the seller being vague about the condition. In hindsight, I should have bought it and got it serviced by those nice people at Ashdown, but I didn’t.

Some background, I don’t change amps very often, several years ago I was running an EBS TD 650, then had a Matamp 200w all valve monster (big sound) then came a JJ500 (one of JJ’s actual amps, all black without the rat logo, was sold to a Stranglers fan, which made me happy) The JJ500 made way for an Aguilar DB750, which is an amazing amp when paired with two 4x10’s. That worked for me at the time as I was playing decent gigs in an originals band. Fast forward to becoming 50 and I went for two lightweight 2x10’s and a class D amp, decided it was time to look after my back! I was running a Genzbenz streamliner, great little amp, had a sound that some would call “vintage” I guess, lacked a bit of top end “zing” So I replaced that with Mr Genzlers latest offering, the 800w Magellan. A great little amp, which I still have. With this set up, I could walk into a venue with a double bass bag on my back, a holdall with my amp, leads and effects in, over my shoulder and a cab in each hand, result!

In the quest for a second amp, I went for one of new 12 band amps, which arrived this week. So far I have only tried it with my MM sterling and a Sire fretless, I will endeavour to try my Sei jazz and MM caprice over the weekend

My opinion, it just does what I expect it to do and very well! I had found with my Class D amp that I was forever playing around with settings such as Drive, contour etc, all the wonderful options that these digital boxes offer up, it worked fine, but depending on what I was playing, I had to make an adjustment at the amp. This is where the 12 band is different, with a slight boost in the lower and upper end of the graphic (it’s actually almost flat) I get a sound where I can make changes on my bass (i.e. 3 position switch on the sterling) with tone and p/up selector and get what I want. Yes, there is the harmonic emphasis, which gives another option, but without that, it just works, nice clean tone, you can really hear the sound of the bass. My sterling has a really low action and the slap tone was mazing with the pickup selector in the rear position, in the front position, where the tone is more classic MM, the slap tone is nice and with the treble rolled off, fingerstyle funk is punchy. The sire fretless has too many knobs for my liking, so I don’t fiddle with it much apart from pickup blend and up and down on the treble pot. It sounds great, nice full fretless tone from the same setting where the sterling produced a great slap tone. I’ve not really had it at any volume and suspect it will be a while before I can do that but based on previous experience when I gigged the JJ for a while (see photo- was running two 4x10’s), I know it’s going to be a “big” sound

Build quality is as you would expect, looks great in “ashdown blue” which I thought was a nice touch for this amp. I’ve had black and red and seen gold and silver in pictures, but the blue looks cool with the blue LD around the power button. If the Sei and MM caprice make me smile as much as my Sterling and Sire have when played through this amp, I can see the Genzler going and another 12 band coming in, it’s worth the extra weight over a class D IMHO, so far!

Tony

86AD39E3-F057-4540-9587-3BD2D2B2784B.jpeg

63D73CD2-B898-4731-A5C3-FD7B7B7E5A1B.jpeg

Edited by sshorepunk
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, thodrik said:

Looks great! What is the 'harmonic emphasis' control?  Is it like a progressive bass boost/treble boost/mid cut?

Adds top end zing, apparently like a fresh set of strings! Trace had it on their last Gibson-era heads :)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nilebodgers said:

No pre-shape/contour? Is that to avoid the obvious Trace comparisons?

I'd say it's unavoidable. The pre shape button on the RM doesn't make that look or behave like a Trace. But that 12 band eq? Given the connection with TE that's bound to attract comparison.

As an old-time TE fan, I really like the idea of Ashdowns with a proper sensible graphic equaliser.

The arbitary mix of rotary knobs and sliders used for the EQ controls on many (most?) of their previous amps gives me the conceptual heeby-jeebies.

Now if only they would dump the silly pointless VU meter too, we'd be cooking with gas...! 🙂

Oh - and while I'm having a moan: why can't I find any specs for it on their website? What size is it? What does it weigh? This is basic information that ought to be easy to find...

Edited by paulbuzz

HI TONY

Does the new 12 band have a buzzing noise ; I have a MK500 with a noticeable buzzing noise which I think might be transformer noise; I disconnected the fans to be sure. I have heard other people claim to hear a buzzing noise with their Ashdown MK500. One guy said he would never give Ashdown a second chance. I'm referring to a buzzing noise that would effect you in a studio situation or practicing ;  quite noticeable. The new 12 band comes with an extra thermostat which stops the fans even starting up until a certain temperature is reached. ???

Regards P

Edited by Partha
grammar

23 hours ago, Partha said:

HI TONY

Does the new 12 band have a buzzing noise ; I have a MK500 with a noticeable buzzing noise which I think might be transformer noise; I disconnected the fans to be sure. I have heard other people claim to hear a buzzing noise with their Ashdown MK500. One guy said he would never give Ashdown a second chance. I'm referring to a buzzing noise that would effect you in a studio situation or practicing ;  quite noticeable. The new 12 band comes with an extra thermostat which stops the fans even starting up until a certain temperature is reached. ???

Regards P

No, no noise, can’t say I’ve noticed anything like that on other ashdown s ive owned 

just contact ashdown, they are known for good customer service, always active on social media so easy to get hold of, and I believe repair / service costs are good

Tony

• Like 1

On 05/02/2021 at 15:04, sshorepunk said:

Ashdown 12 band

I recently took delivery of the new Ashdown 12 band amps, Since building a music room on the top floor of my house I decided I needed a second amp as I have two 2x10’s, one is in the longue for convenient practice and the other is in the new room

I initially looked for a small class D amp, Markbass etc, then decided to pursue an MK500 that came up for sale, but that fell through due to the seller being vague about the condition. In hindsight, I should have bought it and got it serviced by those nice people at Ashdown, but I didn’t.

Some background, I don’t change amps very often, several years ago I was running an EBS TD 650, then had a Matamp 200w all valve monster (big sound) then came a JJ500 (one of JJ’s actual amps, all black without the rat logo, was sold to a Stranglers fan, which made me happy) The JJ500 made way for an Aguilar DB750, which is an amazing amp when paired with two 4x10’s. That worked for me at the time as I was playing decent gigs in an originals band. Fast forward to becoming 50 and I went for two lightweight 2x10’s and a class D amp, decided it was time to look after my back! I was running a Genzbenz streamliner, great little amp, had a sound that some would call “vintage” I guess, lacked a bit of top end “zing” So I replaced that with Mr Genzlers latest offering, the 800w Magellan. A great little amp, which I still have. With this set up, I could walk into a venue with a double bass bag on my back, a holdall with my amp, leads and effects in, over my shoulder and a cab in each hand, result!

In the quest for a second amp, I went for one of new 12 band amps, which arrived this week. So far I have only tried it with my MM sterling and a Sire fretless, I will endeavour to try my Sei jazz and MM caprice over the weekend

My opinion, it just does what I expect it to do and very well! I had found with my Class D amp that I was forever playing around with settings such as Drive, contour etc, all the wonderful options that these digital boxes offer up, it worked fine, but depending on what I was playing, I had to make an adjustment at the amp. This is where the 12 band is different, with a slight boost in the lower and upper end of the graphic (it’s actually almost flat) I get a sound where I can make changes on my bass (i.e. 3 position switch on the sterling) with tone and p/up selector and get what I want. Yes, there is the harmonic emphasis, which gives another option, but without that, it just works, nice clean tone, you can really hear the sound of the bass. My sterling has a really low action and the slap tone was mazing with the pickup selector in the rear position, in the front position, where the tone is more classic MM, the slap tone is nice and with the treble rolled off, fingerstyle funk is punchy. The sire fretless has too many knobs for my liking, so I don’t fiddle with it much apart from pickup blend and up and down on the treble pot. It sounds great, nice full fretless tone from the same setting where the sterling produced a great slap tone.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I’ve tried a couple of Ashdown amps and found that I had to tweak the EQ every time I switched basses, something that I didn’t need to do with my Trace heads. A p would sound like a P and a ‘Ray still sounded like a ‘Ray, I too would just tweak on the bass.

Perhaps there is something with the 12 band. 🤔

Edited by Deedee

It’s going to be a great live amp!

I had to swap amps  round as the sound from this was just “too big” for the small, cold room it was in. That’s the only way I can describe how it sounded. My MM was fine but couldn’t get my sei jazz to work right, distinctive jazz sound with j-retro and Aguilar 70’s p/ups, so a definite mid scoop type of tone, New sire fretless was fine as well

moved it into my lounge, nice carpet etc, and it sounds great

my genzler is in my nearly finished studio room and is a much better match for that space 

maybe it’s the difference between the overall sound you get from a more traditional amp versus a class D amp, I don’t know, but all good 

Tony 

• Like 2