Why become a member? Ɨ

Yamaha TRB1005J vs Yamaha TRBX605

javi_bassist

Hello guys,

I have been thinking about getting a TRB1005J (in caramel brown šŸ˜) for some months. I like it being 35" and the few videos I watch, it sounded really good. But there is not that many info compared to the TRBX and the BB range. However, I have recently thought about getting a TRBX605 (in matte amberĀ šŸ˜) and change the pick ups to Aguilar Super doubles. The reason is that a friend of mine has those pickups in another bass (I don't remember the model, but they are not the stock pickups) and they sound amazing (I have Aguilar pickups in a jazz bass and they also sound much better than the stock Fenders IMO). Probably change the preamp too, but I'm not sure since I kinda like the preamp in my BB.

The main differences about theese two I think are the scale and the sound. I already have a BB735, so I'm looking for a more kinda modern sound. I think the TRBX may be more modern sounding and the TRB more jazzy (the pickups are single coil right?). Having a 34" scale already I wouldn't mind trying a 35"Ā (I will try to test it before buying). But I'm not sure if the TRB could give me that modern vibe. I'm looking for something like the Ibanez SR2405 and the TRBX may be closer to that.

PS I know I know, why not getting an Ibanez SR to get that vibe? Because I cannot stand the look. The only Ibanez I like is really out of my budget. Don't get me wrong, they are pretty awesome instruments, but I cannot stand the looks. And I really like Yamaha.

Out of interest which Ibanez SR do you like the look of? It may be that there is an older SR Premium model that has a similar finish, and available for a very decent price.

I say this as someone who is a big fan of both Yammy BBs and Ibby SR Premiums and finds that the tonal variety from the two ranges is just the ticket (for me) to have on hand, and manages to keep the sound of both "fresh".Ā 

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Out of interest which Ibanez SR do you like the look of? It may be that there is an older SR Premium model that has a similar finish, and available for a very decent price.

I say this as someone who is a big fan of both Yammy BBs and Ibby SR Premiums and finds that the tonal variety from the two ranges is just the ticket (for me) to have on hand, and manages to keep the sound of both "fresh".Ā 

I like this one (which two days ago it was on their website, but not anymore). The SR2405W. I've been looking at the rest and, even though I know they sound good, I cannot like them haha

Ā 

ibanez-sr2405w-btl.jpg

And very nice it is too!

Cosmetics aside, the W model you have selected also, importantly, has more standard string spacing, rather than the narrower 16.5mm on the rest of the Ibby SR 5 stringĀ  range - something else to bear in mind. Personally I don't have an issue in swapping between my Yammy and Ibby basses.Ā 

Edited by Al Krow

I have the TRBX605 in natural satin. Build wise and playability wise it's excellent, typical value for money Yamaha quality I also prefer satin finishes to gloss ones like on the TRB1005j because finger prints annoy me.

I can't really compare. I played a TRB1005j in a shop years ago and remember it not be bad, I think the body was a little thicker (front to back) than the TRBX605Ā  where as I've played the TRBX605 as my main bass since 2018.

If I could change anything about the TRBX it would be the pickups, they're again not bad but just not as powerful as my BB615. I'm wanted to change these to Nordstrand blade pickups once gigs come back and I some disposable cash.

• Like 1

I bought a ibby sr 2405w new....somehow, it just didn't work for me...looking at the spec it should have been mega...i could not get it set up to my liking, even after a fret dress!!..and i have to say, i wasn't too keen on the tone....possibly a friday night bass hahaĀ 

I've been thinking about this all morning and finally I noticed something. I've the TRBX604 and a BB424. They are very different, in plugged in sound, in unplugged sound, in weight, in neck. I love the sound of the BB, but am appreciative of the very easy neck of the TRBX.

So much for the 4 strings. You've pointed out that the TRBX605 has the same neck specs as your BB735, so you would get no additional benefit there. So you would get a lighter body and 3 extra frets, but against that would be: noĀ through body bridge, no 6 bolt join, and two very dull pickups. Does that sound tempting?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ricky Rioli said:

So you would get a lighter body and 3 extra frets, but against that would be: noĀ through body bridge, no 6 bolt join, and two very dull pickups. Does that sound tempting?

That's a really interesting point actually. I haven't thought that way around. Thanks!!

Ā 

• Like 1

Key difference seems to be 6 bolt and better pups in the 1005J vs 4 bolt and cheaper humbuckers in the 605. Neither go for body through stringing prevalent in the modern BBs.Ā 

If the pups are significantly better then it would be a no-brainer for me, I'd go for the 1005J everyĀ time. Ricky's comments about the 604's pups being duller than his BB 424 are very much worth taking on board.

If you're after one in caramel brown you seen this one?Ā Yamaha TRB1005J Caramel Brown | Back Alley Music | Reverb

More than half tempted to get it myself at that priceĀ šŸ˜Š

PS paging @lee650who knows his way around TRBs...Ā 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Key difference seems to be 6 bolt and better pups in the 1005J vs 4 bolt and cheaper humbuckers in the 605

If the pups are significantly better then it would be a no-brainer for me, I'd go for the 1005J everyĀ time. Ricky's comments about the 604's pups being duller than his BB 424 are very much worth taking on board.

If you're after one in Caramel Brown you seen this one?Ā Yamaha TRB1005J Caramel Brown | Back Alley Music | Reverb

More than half tempted to get it myself at that priceĀ šŸ˜Š

I'd probably go for the 1005J. Thanks guys.

And yes, I've seen it. It's tempting...

• Like 1

Having owned both (well nearly - a TRB1005 and a TRBX505 ) I can certainly say that the TRB was a lot bigger and heavier, and had wider string spacingĀ than the TRBX.

For me that was quite a big deal as I found the 35ā€ TRB felt massive and the fretboard really wide.

The TRBX feelsĀ more comfortable, but I think the TRB had the edge slightly in terms of sound.Ā 

• Like 2