Why become a member? ×

Anyone know if Bassdirect is trading?

TrevorG

I'm having a bit of a to-and-fro with them at the moment.  I ordered a Hipshot Supertone 2 point bridge.  A few days later they emailed to say it was out of stock and would I wait.  2 days later they emailed to say one was on its way as they'd had a return.  It arrived in a plastic bag with bits missing - unfortunately the very bits I needed, which were the larger thread bolts. 

I told them this, they asked for a picture of what had arrived.  Being helpful, so I thought, I included a pic of the bolt thread from the original so they could see what I was missing.  I then got a fairly patronising reply saying they had sent everything as the 3 bolts were there.  I got a bit snippy at that point.  I'm still waiting for new stock to arrive from the USA so they can send me the missing bolts.

I don't get much from them but I'd say over 50% of my dealings with them have been less than great.  If I wasn't such a cheapskate I'd go elsewhere but often their prices are lower.  I think the daftest one was buying a secondhand MIJ Precision 'modern style with no scratchplate, pearl finish and black headstock that was 30" scale.  Lovely, not seen one of those in short scale.  When it arrived it was 34" scale.  I mean, really?

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Paul S said:

I don't get much from them but I'd say over 50% of my dealings with them have been less than great.  If I wasn't such a cheapskate I'd go elsewhere but often their prices are lower.  I think the daftest one was buying a secondhand MIJ Precision 'modern style with no scratchplate, pearl finish and black headstock that was 30" scale.  Lovely, not seen one of those in short scale.  When it arrived it was 34" scale.  I mean, really?

To be fair, i'd have spotted from the pics if it was 30" vs 34". But they are guilty of copying and pasting stuff between items without checking for errors for sure.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Paul S said:

I don't get much from them but I'd say over 50% of my dealings with them have been less than great.  

Yep, this is my experience.  Half the time, they are really great and super helpful; the other half, they couldn't care less that I exist.  For niche/uncommon items sometimes they are the only place to go, but otherwise I avoid if I possible.

• Like 4

It seems amazing that they don't just get a proper website with, like a connection to their stock.  The number of times I've ordered something then to be told it's out of stock is silly. I can kind of understand things like strings (even though everyone else manages it), but more expensive stuff like pickups and bridges? In the end I decided to just shop elsewhere for parts.

They could probably just use an out of the box system and get a better looking, more usable working site than what they have.

Edited by bloke_zero
Speeling
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, bloke_zero said:

It seems amazing that they don't just get a proper website with, like a connection to their stock.  The number of times I've ordered something then to be told it's out of stock is silly. I can kind of understand things like strings (even though everyone else manages it), but more expensive stuff like pickups and bridges? In the end I decided to just shop elsewhere for parts.

They could probably just use an out of the box system and get a better looking, more usable working site than what they have.

That's true, but I also generally dislike the modern websites that all look the same apart from the banners.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Machines said:

That's true, but I also generally dislike the modern websites that all look the same apart from the banners.

I somewhat agree, but having spent too long building websites my feeling is that it should all be about the content - and they have some great content! I'd rather be oggling a hi rez gallery of a 70's stingray than struggling with a system that looks like it was built in 1996!

I like their website. Straightforward, easy to navigate, with good photography of the instruments and decent info including weight. Some of the other pages are a bit skimpy with information cut and pasted from manufacturers, sometimes out of date, but that’s not really a problem if it’s an item you have researched. 
I’ve bought accessories from them with good service and rapid delivery. On the one occasion when something went wrong it was rectified as speedily as possible. 

• Like 2

On 4 February 2021 at 22:48, TrevorG said:

I know there's a lockdown on but thought I might investigate an online purchase. Left a message but there's been no response. Just curious.

They're probably working part time, maybe with less staff also, and may also be experiencing supply problems - global pandemic as well as other broader issues (shipping etc). 

• Like 2

I’ve used them three times. Twice for strings because I couldn’t get them elsewhere (and they turned up looking like they’d lived in someone’s gig bag for 10 years), and a set of hipshot lollipop tuners (one of which was opened, had a massive scratch down the middle and was covered in fingerprints). Tried to email them on all occasions (after delivery was received) and got no reply.

I did also try to call to ask about buying a bass that was on their website at one point and was basically told I was an idiot because the bass was a predictable and old fashioned, and wouldn’t something with an on-board preamp and wonky frets be loads better?

Needless to say, I’ve found alternatives.