Why become a member? ×

NBD: Fretless loveliness

bartelby

I've been after an unlined fretless since selling my Ibanez Portamento a couple of years ago. Every once in a while I'll look on here and a few shops to see whats around, but nothing really grabbed me, until last week. I just happened to look on The Bass Gallery and saw The One!!

A Fender body with a Status neck, EMGs and a Hipshot KickAss bridge.

IMG_7388.thumb.jpeg.0fcc846ba89f17486f14e76d5a889050.jpeg

IMG_7391.thumb.jpeg.15285964ab517c196cb074c55ba57903.jpeg

IMG_7392.thumb.jpeg.2656492b93511333381fefebc6b56b44.jpeg

IMG_7393.thumb.jpeg.d8a96c03f6826750f072d6a98d9d2ef9.jpeg

It needs a couple of tweaks and such but it's bloody lovely!

I may refinish the body black to have an evil looking stealth machine... 

Edited by bartelby
  • Like 19

2 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Okay but it would be a shame to lose the contrast in my opinion.  The carbon weave on the pickguard sits lovely with the neck.

Yeah, I am less inclined to change it now I have it, than when I first saw it online.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

It's got to sound good though.  Fibre neck and EMGs.  Passive?

Pretty sure it's passive, unless there's a battery hiding under the scratchplate. And yes it really does sound good. I've only had about 20 mins buggering about with it but it puts that "oh, this is goooood'"grin on your face

1 minute ago, PaulThePlug said:

nice as is... elegant and understated. Mature and Sophisticated.

i think 'All Black' may look to be trying too hard. More Teenage Rampage...

I do like all black basses though, but it's certainly not something I'm rushing into. 

• Like 1

EMG X are active pickups, so there's a battery somewhere.

Nice catch. I saw it on the Bass Gallery website too, but being in Belgium is now a nightmare to buy in the U.K.

I wouldn't change a thing on this bass, but that's my opinion, not yours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

EMG X are active pickups, so there's a battery somewhere.

Nice catch. I saw it on the Bass Gallery website too, but being in Belgium is now a nightmare to buy in the U.K.

I wouldn't change a thing on this bass, but that's my opinion, not yours.

I shall investigate tomorrow. 

I had a good play with it earlier, played along to some Pearl Jam and New Model Army. It’s such an easy bass to play. 

Just lifted the scratchplate a little and there is indeed a battery under there. I've also reseated the neck and the string alignment is much better.

When I saw it this morning the thoughts of spraying it black have been removed. It looks too bloody nice as it is, Although the scratchplate may have to be changed to a plain black one. The carbon fibre is a bit flashy for me... 😁

• Like 2

15 hours ago, bartelby said:

I may refinish the body black to have an evil looking stealth machine... 

I quite like the contrast between the dark carbon fiber with the ultra black phenolic fingerboard and the white body. If you must, maybe something like anthracite? 

BO_120_01.jpg

I put a fretless Status neck on a MIA Precision... about 15 years ago. It was a lovely combination. I had a new bridge... might have been ABM... as I didn’t like the BBOT. If I knew what I know now... I’d have swapped out the execrable S1 (which I hated and is the main reason I sold it) for a KiOgon loom and called it a do.

Your bass looks fantastic... the pickups must sound great. If you re-finish I’d go for CAR... but I’m a CAR nut, so don’t listen to me.

3 minutes ago, Trueno said:

Your bass looks fantastic... the pickups must sound great. If you re-finish I’d go for CAR... but I’m a CAR nut, so don’t listen to me.

I have a CAR Squier Jazzmaster. That's enough CAR in my house...:D

Most of my basses are either all black or white with black appointments . This is right down my alley. I love Fretlesses as well. I wouldn’t change a thing. The pickguard or scratch plate looks great with the headstock.

I must also give bonus kudos for the TI Jazz Flat strings. My favorite string even though rather expensive state side but worth every cent. I also like GHS tapewounds on my Fretless as well. Best tapes  I’ve used. 

Edited by TN WOODMAN
Add more comments

On 05/02/2021 at 10:38, SpondonBassed said:

I know a good home for it and all.  Just saying.  Heeheehee

I’ve just put a black 3 ply scratchplate on and I much prefer the look. The carbon fibre one was too busy for me.

So where’s this good home?

4A0B9D6D-8AF2-4A02-B6DB-98096F705C40.thumb.jpeg.05d84424f296bb4998045c2a8584b6e5.jpeg

Edited by bartelby
  • Like 4

51 minutes ago, bartelby said:

I’ve just put a black 3 ply scratchplate on and I much prefer the look. The carbon fibre one was too busy for me.

Excellent! looks great.

Definitely prefer this new scratch plate.

Edited by Woodwind

3 hours ago, bartelby said:

So where’s this good home?

Why my spares drawer, of course.  I have been collecting from the Recycling section for a while now.  I'd be happy to have that.

I am pulling your leg.  If however you do want to move it on PM me.

Your bass still looks good.  You might be right about the CF looking busy in that context.

Edited by SpondonBassed

On 07/02/2021 at 03:01, TN WOODMAN said:

I must also give bonus kudos for the TI Jazz Flat strings. My favorite string even though rather expensive state side but worth every cent. I also like GHS tapewounds on my Fretless as well. Best tapes  I’ve used. 

Are they TIs?

I just assumed they were Rotosounds...

3 minutes ago, Grahambythesea said:

I’ve owned 4 fretless basses, 3 lined 1 unlined. My current 1 is lined. Was there a particular reason for your wanting unlined other than the look? 

I'm used to playing unlined fretless basses.
My first fretless was a battered Warwick Corvette I defretted (I still have it), filled the slots with wenge laminate and did a superglue finish on the neck. You could barely see the lines when playing. I then borrowed a mate's Ibanez SR400FL that had an unlined board, I gave that back when I got an Ibanez Portamento that had micro sidelines. 
I've tried a lined one but, weirdly, found the lines distracting.

• Thanks 1