Why become a member? ×

Bowie - Brilliant Live Adventures

9 hours ago, Old Man Riva said:

Dennis Davis son is a wonderful young man. Finding out about his dad via his work/art, it’s a joy to watch.

More of this on the internet please! 

Absolutely, but I also loved Visconti’s understanding and appreciation of the music also, what with the kid, the producer and the incredible drum parts (not to forget the congas) there was some real magic in that clip. Thanks again for posting :) 

• Like 1

On 26/02/2021 at 10:20, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Volume 5 has just been announced as a pre-order this morning. The vinyl has sold out already, but there are a few CD's left. It is the Paris gig from '99 called 'Something In The Air' which is already available to stream.

Got mine ordered, which makes me 5/5 so far.

Tell you what, if you're missing out on the stress that accompanies tickets going on sale for your favourite band (for example), thne awaiting the email announcement for the next Bowie BLA installment is pretty close.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, toneknob said:

Got mine ordered, which makes me 5/5 so far.

Tell you what, if you're missing out on the stress that accompanies tickets going on sale for your favourite band (for example), thne awaiting the email announcement for the next Bowie BLA installment is pretty close.

Are you going vinyl, CD or both?

You’re probably aware of this already, but it was known that volumes 5 & 6 were both going to be ‘99 gigs and that one of them would be ‘Something In The Air’. So now that’s out of the way, I wonder what the final one might be. The London Astoria gig maybe?

Vinyl only so far. I was going to get Vinyl + CD this time so I could eBay the CD to cover the costs of getting Vol 3 from the USA after slighty late arrival at the pre-order party (ie UK sold out, USA not yet), but that's not entirely in the spirit of things.

Didn't know that Vol 6 was going to be another from 1999 - the Vienna show from Oct 17 would be nice as it's the only live performance of If I'm Dreaming My Life. Having said that, any Hours show is going to overlap massively with Vol 5.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toneknob said:

Vinyl only so far. I was going to get Vinyl + CD this time so I could eBay the CD to cover the costs of getting Vol 3 from the USA after slighty late arrival at the pre-order party (ie UK sold out, USA not yet), but that's not entirely in the spirit of things.

Didn't know that Vol 6 was going to be another from 1999 - the Vienna show from Oct 17 would be nice as it's the only live performance of If I'm Dreaming My Life. Having said that, any Hours show is going to overlap massively with Vol 5.

He played 'If I'm Dreaming My Life' in New York two months prior to Vienna. That's the only two times. Astoria would be nice as it's a longer set, but I'll buy it whatever it is, so not too worried - but yes, massive overlap.

That it's another '99 gig is what I've been told by a reliable source, but we'll have to wait and see.

I don't know if the vinyl is produced in lesser quantities, but they always seem to sell out first and go for more on eBay.

• 2 weeks later...

BLA 5 just touched down here. 

Looking forward to some of the tracks that haven't appeared so far on the series (unless my memory is fading, wouldn't be surprised): eg Always Crashing, and one for the  young folk, early single Can't Help Thinking About Me from 1966.

12 minutes ago, toneknob said:

BLA 5 just touched down here. 

Looking forward to some of the tracks that haven't appeared so far on the series (unless my memory is fading, wouldn't be surprised): eg Always Crashing, and one for the  young folk, early single Can't Help Thinking About Me from 1966.

Yep, mine arrived this morning as well. Been saying for what seems like a year (😜) that we should do Cant’t Help Thinking About Me. Great tune.

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Yep, mine arrived this morning as well. Been saying for what seems like a year (😜) that we should do Cant’t Help Thinking About Me. Great tune.

I've probably missed a rather significant memo here, but who's the "we" here?

On 24/02/2021 at 10:39, Old Man Riva said:

A slight detour, I know, but thanks to The Fasting Showman’s excellent recommendation re. Dennis Davis I stumbled across this...

Too good not to share... Enjoy!

Wow! 

These videos are absolute gems - thanks for sharing.. 👍😊

I'd always wondered what happened to George Murray.. He, Alomar and Davis were just fantastic, so creative, so cool.. 

And what comes across in these interviews, is what kind, thoughtful people they were too, as was Emir Ksasan. 

Anyway, thanks again for sharing! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, silverfoxnik said:

Wow! 

I'd always wondered what happened to George Murray.. He, Alomar and Davis were just fantastic, so creative, so cool.. 

And what comes across in these interviews, is what kind, thoughtful people they were too, as was Emir Ksasan. 

A pleasure!

Yes, Murray, Alomar and Davis contributed greatly to Bowie’s recordings/gigs. He always had great musicians/bands around him. Sometimes it didn’t quite hit the mark for me (the stripped down Sound & Vision set up isn’t one I listen that often) but regardless, there was always something to get your teeth into.

I’m currently awaiting the CD of the ‘Soul’ leg of the Diamond Dogs tour - it was released last year as part of Record Store Day - which I can’t wait for. It features Alomar, Davis and Ksasan.

I watched the BBC Omnibus Cracked Actor programme as a kid when it was first aired (having to ignore various disparaging witticisms from my dad as I did!) and then had to wait 20-odd years for it to be repeated. Until YouTube came along it was hard to access any of the Diamond Dogs tour(s) footage/bootlegs, which is probably why I’ve played David Live to death over the years. I’m not sure the Soul leg recording will be that great, but to have something from those shows after all these years will be great!

This is good from the earlier leg of that tour... it’s a different take from the one included on the David Live album.

Edited by Old Man Riva
  • Like 1

On 21/02/2021 at 00:16, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Listening to it again now, I'm lobbying for Teenage Wildlife when we next get in a room together - and we haven't even done The Laughing Gnome yet!!

We have......it was a party request. It went down a storm to be fair. We're contemplating doing a punked up version

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Old Man Riva said:

A pleasure!

Yes, Murray, Alomar and Davis contributed greatly to Bowie’s recordings/gigs. He always had great musicians/bands around him. Sometimes it didn’t quite hit the mark for me (the stripped down Sound & Vision set up isn’t one I listen that often) but regardless, there was always something to get your teeth into.

I’m currently awaiting the CD of the ‘Soul’ leg of the Diamond Dogs tour - it was released last year as part of Record Store Day - which I can’t wait for. It features Alomar, Davis and Ksasan.

I watched the BBC Omnibus Cracked Actor programme as a kid when it was first aired (having to ignore various disparaging witticisms from my dad as I did!) and then had to wait 20-odd years for it to be repeated. Until YouTube came along it was hard to access any of the Diamond Dogs tour(s) footage/bootlegs, which is probably why I’ve played David Live to death over the years. I’m not sure the Soul leg recording will be that great, but to have something from those shows after all these years will be great!

This is good from the earlier leg of that tour... it’s a different take from the one included on the David Live album.

One of my favourite pieces of music by Bowie, both on the album and these live performances.. 

I've always loved David Live too; it's such an important step in his musical his transition from Ziggy - > Aladdin Sane - > Diamond Dogs - > Young Americans. 

Edited by silverfoxnik
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, silverfoxnik said:

Wow! 

Glad you, OMR and Hiram have enjoyed the hijack. Some character traits really came through, fascinating insights; when Carlos Alomar said to Davis's son 'your Dad was a brave musician', implying that he would be creative when the red light was on and give a piece of music his all....don't know about you but I contrast that with the people I have played with who are just perfunctory, 'how does that song go? How fast is that one? etc etc'!  And the great pieces of popular music history he has played on bear that out, some of Bowie's best music along with Master Blaster, and Do I do with Stevie W and more.

Also, George Murray's answers seem as measured and considered as his bass lines, not verbose like my waffling here! 

Edited by The fasting showman
Distractions at home!
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, toneknob said:

What's that we were saying about overlap? Two songs different from Vol 5, and both appear elsewhere in the series. Still going to buy it of course :D

How much were the LP cases originally? a tenner?

Agreed, but it's an easy win for them really. One from the archives that has already been released and they know it will sell.

I know the set is almost the same, but part of the joy for me is that Gail never plays the songs note for note the same way. She's quite an instinctive player.

Can't remember how much the slip cases were. A tenner sounds about right though.

1 minute ago, toneknob said:

Yep agree re GAD, but also it would've been nice to see Cracked Actor or Ashes to Ashes included from that show, which (I don't think) have appeared so far in the series.

Yes, I was just saying exactly that to our singer. The whole band love playing Cracked Actor, but the drummer hates Ashes to Ashes - partly because he's played it 1000's of times 😂