Why become a member? ×

Bowie - Brilliant Live Adventures

Is there anyone else on Basschat into these?

They are a series of six live albums issued in limited editions recorded during the 90’s and being released piece meal through 2020 and 2021.

I knew the fourth one was coming out soon and kept checking the page on Bowie’s site for updates. Typical that during the couple of days last week I failed to check, it was announced for pre-order and has sold out almost instantly. To say I’m p’d off is an understatement. I know I could stream it, but that’s not the point. I really would like the CD. It’s called ‘Look At The Moon - Live from The Phoenix Festival ‘97’. If anyone has extra copies pre-ordered (I suspect that is why it has sold out so quickly) and is willing to part with one for not silly money, you would make a fellow Bowie collector very happy indeed. They ship on the 12th of Feb.

97C951B6-E29D-4302-891D-AC88D4B2DC8B.png

• Like 3

5 hours ago, SICbass said:

Slightly off topic, but have you listened to this?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p093gdhc

part of the BBC‘s 5 years content. This episode is made entirely of interviews with him.

I had heard about it, but haven’t listened to it yet. I’ll check it out.

These popped up in my feed the other day. Made me laugh....

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I had heard about it, but haven’t listened to it yet. I’ll check it out.

These popped up in my feed the other day. Made me laugh....

Adam Buxton is a big Bowie fan - his podcasts/radio shows are well worth a listen re. Bowie.

It might be unfair but I always tend to think of Visconti being like he’s portrayed in the Adam Buxton/Warszawa clip! 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Glad you got that sorted!

I wasn’t aware of the series until this thread. I’ve since been getting lost in some of the shows via Spotify. The 1995 gig includes a version of Teenage Wildlife, which was a song I didn’t know he’d done live previously.

Ruddy marvellous, Mr Jones! He’s bloody missed... 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Old Man Riva said:

I wasn’t aware of the series until this thread. I’ve since been getting lost in some of the shows via Spotify. The 1995 gig includes a version of Teenage Wildlife, which was a song I didn’t know he’d done live previously.

Yes, Teenage Wildlife was pretty much ignored until the Outside Tour. It was performed quite regularly throughout it though.

Apologies for the slight thread derail, thanks for the original post. Just a heads up about the YouTube videos put together by Dennis Davis's family , if you search Tracing my Dad -Dennis Davis you'll find them. Obviously they have been put together by a grieving family rediscovering a musical career rather than a professional documentary maker, if you view them with that in mind you'll enjoy them if you are a Bowie fan; there's some great clips from the Isolar tours, interviews with Visconti, Alomar and incredibly  a recent interview with none other than George Murray! 

• Like 3

I’ve just finished listening to disc 1 of the Phoenix set and it’s excellent apart from Under Pressure which sounds a bit loose. Also love what they did with Driftin’ Blues into The Jean Genie. I liked the way they started gigs on this tour. Quicksand is a great low key opener and it goes into the revamped TMWSTW which is equally subdued. 

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I’ve just finished listening to disc 1 of the Phoenix set and it’s excellent apart from Under Pressure which sounds a bit loose. Also love what they did with Driftin’ Blues into The Jean Genie. I liked the way they started gigs on this tour. Quicksand is a great low key opener and it goes into the revamped TMWSTW which is equally subdued. 

I was lucky enough to see a fan club Phoenix Festival warm up gig at the Hanover Grand (the venue is long gone and wasn’t particularly good for live music, IMO). He/they began with Quicksand. He casually strolled on with a 12 string acoustic and began playing... it was one of the most emotional moments I’ve had at a gig. He was yards away, with his amazing voice just filling the place.

It was actually all a bit overwhelming, to be honest. It was a mixture of really enjoying a gig and then feeling it was all a bit surreal so my mind would start to wander and try and process what was happening. I couldn’t really take it all in.

To this day it still feels like such an odd choice for a gig!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Yes, Teenage Wildlife was pretty much ignored until the Outside Tour. It was performed quite regularly throughout it though.

I hadn’t realised it was ever played live. Such a great track!

The Outside album was a good moment. It felt like a ‘band’ statement after Buddha of Suburbia (which, IMO, is an overlooked and excellent soundtrack album), that benefited from that similar soundtrack approach. He played a couple of tracks on Channel 4’s The White Room, and the band came across brilliantly - I’ve found that sometimes the TV sound can really let a Bowie performance down, but the White Room sound was really, erm, ‘meaty’, for want of a better word.

For me, the 90s started well with Black Tie White Noise, but ended on a bit of a low note with Hours. Some excellent moments in between, mind! 

• Like 1

Yes, I know what you mean about Quicksand. Cracking song. We used it as an opener ourselves once for a very dear friend who comes to all our gigs. I can’t remember whether the video is still on our channel. The recording didn’t come out that well as I recall.

We used the White Room version of Boys Keep Swinging as a template for what we do. Kicks derrière that one.

I like Hours, but then I like Tin Machine as well and that doesn’t tend to go down too well in the Bowie fandom 😂.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Yes, I know what you mean about Quicksand. Cracking song. We used it as an opener ourselves once for a very dear friend who comes to all our gigs. I can’t remember whether the video is still on our channel. The recording didn’t come out that well as I recall.

We used the White Room version of Boys Keep Swinging as a template for what we do. Kicks derrière that one.

I like Hours, but then I like Tin Machine as well and that doesn’t tend to go down too well in the Bowie fandom 😂.

Nothing wrong with Tin Machine! The Sales brothers have some real rock ‘n’ roll pedigree, which I think Bowie was really drawn to. Add Reeves Gabrels into the mix and it was actually a pretty bold move, in retrospect.

Though it may just have been a fun palate cleanser after Never Let Me Down..! 

• Like 2

On 19/02/2021 at 17:12, Old Man Riva said:

It's an almost impossible task keeping up with all the Bowie related bits and pieces that pop up on You Tube. Individual songs from The White Room have popped up before, but there's now a proper 'soundboard mix' of all the songs from that show that has appeared, including Teenage Wildlife. It does, as you say, sound 'meaty', but I think it's all the better for it. I'm ripping that tomorrow for sure.

• Like 1

On 19/02/2021 at 21:29, Old Man Riva said:

I was lucky enough to see a fan club Phoenix Festival warm up gig at the Hanover Grand (the venue is long gone and wasn’t particularly good for live music, IMO). He/they began with Quicksand. He casually strolled on with a 12 string acoustic and began playing... it was one of the most emotional moments I’ve had at a gig. He was yards away, with his amazing voice just filling the place.

It was actually all a bit overwhelming, to be honest. It was a mixture of really enjoying a gig and then feeling it was all a bit surreal so my mind would start to wander and try and process what was happening. I couldn’t really take it all in.

To this day it still feels like such an odd choice for a gig!

I don't mind telling you that this took some finding.

As previously mentioned, I did think we had previously published this track, but when I searched our You Tube channel, I couldn't find it.

I think we decided not to publish as it went a bit wonky towards the end. That said, it's fitting tribute to Big Kev who has supported us since Day 1.

It's the one and only time we have performed it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

It's an almost impossible task keeping up with all the Bowie related bits and pieces that pop up on You Tube. Individual songs from The White Room have popped up before, but there's now a proper 'soundboard mix' of all the songs from that show that has appeared, including Teenage Wildlife. It does, as you say, sound 'meaty', but I think it's all the better for it. I'm ripping that tomorrow for sure.

That’s great! I remember recording it on VCR and watching it over and over. I think the original broadcast was 2-3 songs (as I recall, further tracks were shown later in the series).

His band (as always!) were superb, but I remember being absolutely blown away by the drummer at the time. Because of the album credits I thought it was someone called Sterling Campbell, but it was, of course, Zack Alford. 

9 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

As previously mentioned, I did think we had previously published this track, but when I searched our You Tube channel, I couldn't find it.

I think we decided not to publish as it went a bit wonky towards the end. That said, it's fitting tribute to Big Kev who has supported us since Day 1.

Wow! I think the biggest compliment I can give is that Mrs Riva walked passed when I was playing it and asked when it was from! When I told her who it was she said, “I thought it was Him!!”.

The backing vocals on the “Don’t believe in yourself...” sections are superb.

When all this madness is over, and you’re gigging again, I’ll be there, sir! 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Have to say i really enjoyed that.

Dave

• Thanks 1

Yep, got all four so far. You have to be pretty quick off the mark to get them, like within a couple of hours of the emails going out. I missed the third one (liveandwell.com) in the UK stores but got it via the US store. The postage was a bit scary, but it avoided customs somehow.

Look At The Moon is really good, probably best of the bunch so far.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Old Man Riva said:

A slight detour, I know, but thanks to The Fasting Showman’s excellent recommendation re. Dennis Davis I stumbled across this...

Too good not to share... Enjoy!

Glad you like it, the whole series has some amazing archive footage including the rarest of things, a contemporary George Murray interview!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Old Man Riva said:

A slight detour, I know, but thanks to The Fasting Showman’s excellent recommendation re. Dennis Davis I stumbled across this...

Too good not to share... Enjoy!

What an extraordinarily life affirming piece of film, made my evening:)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The fasting showman said:

Glad you like it, the whole series has some amazing archive footage including the rarest of things, a contemporary George Murray interview!

Agreed! And thanks again for the heads up. There’s some fabulous footage of the Young Americans period featuring Andy Newmark and Willie Weeks (it’s in one of the Visconti interviews). There’s a lot of the footage that is completely new to me, which is great!

39 minutes ago, Beedster said:

What an extraordinarily life affirming piece of film, made my evening:)

Isn’t it just. The whole series is excellent, and Dennis Davis son is a wonderful young man. Finding out about his dad via his work/art, it’s a joy to watch.

More of this on the internet please! 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Old Man Riva said:

Agreed! And thanks again for the heads up. There’s some fabulous footage of the Young Americans period featuring Andy Newmark and Willie Weeks (it’s in one of the Visconti interviews). There’s a lot of the footage that is completely new to me, which is great!

Isn’t it just. The whole series is excellent, and Dennis Davis son is a wonderful young man. Finding out about his dad via his work/art, it’s a joy to watch.

More of this on the internet please! 

I couldn't believe some of the stuff they've found, one clip pans across the pages of a Davis / Murray interview with what looks like International Musician, I'd love to see a copy of that. The clips of Davis with George Benson are great also but the point is made in the George Murray interview of how incredible and unlikely it was that they all came to work together, Bowie, Alomar, Davis and Murray and make the music they made. George Murray's former life appears to be completely unknown to his family, quite poignant in some ways; he just jacked music in and got a regular job, a job that he seems to be as studious and competent in as he was playing bass in that greatest (IMO) Bowie band.

Spoiler: his favourite Bowie tracks he played on are Golden Years, Heroes and Secret life of Arabia!

Apologies to the OP once again for the derail but all in a good cause.

Edited by The fasting showman
overuse of incredible!
  • Like 1