Why become a member? ×

New semi hollow bass from Guild

Grahambythesea

11 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

Looks the biz! Are you enjoying playing a semi?

I really like it. I recently bought a Fender JMJ Mustang and as lovely and impressive as it was I found with the small body and shorter scale it felt cramped and uncomfortable playing it. 

Because the Guild body is so large however, it sits a lot more comfortably and whereas I struggled a bit in the past with the Epiphone Jack Cassidy being a big body with 34" scale neck, this one with the shorter scale fits right for me. 

Seriously, for the price point of these basses I'd highly recommend trying them out if you get the chance. I'm really impressed with them and compared to a number of my other basses which in some cases cost 5 times more than the Guild, I wouldn't say there was a discernible difference in quality. 

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

These look fantastic. I love the little details like the Guild logo knobs. It would've been easy for them to just slap a pair of generic tophats on, especially being a relatively affordable bass, but they've got the extra mile. 

I don't know which colour I prefer. 🤔

By the way the knobs are made of plastic that feels rather flimsy, this is probably the only thing I can say is negative about this bass.

Oh and the output jack socket wasn't tightened well, had to screw the nut some (not easy with the bass being hollowbody).

Other than that its construction and finish are perfect

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Maude said:

These look fantastic. I love the little details like the Guild logo knobs. It would've been easy for them to just slap a pair of generic tophats on, especially being a relatively affordable bass, but they've got the extra mile. 

I don't know which colour I prefer. 🤔

I've got the mahogany and cherry red because I love this wood. I wish this bass existed in all black though, that would look exceptionally pretty

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, scrumpymike said:

These look drop-dead gorgeous and amazing value for money.

I had it for 3 days and it's all I wished it would be.

I was considering the previous version of the Starfire I but wasn't sure about the bridge-only pickup. I am very much a neck pickup person.

This P pickup version is perfect for me (I also like Precision basses a lot)

Welcome to the club! I went for the walnut finish, which is more of a purple-brown. 

Funnily enough I was watching the Bass Lobster on YouTube today and he voted these as his number one bass release of 2021. They really are excellent. 

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Badscrew said:

Couple of short clips recorded on my Guild strung with Fender flats 9050L

First is the mix of the bass with the synths and the drums, the second is the bass only.

https://www.badscrew.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/big-ies-all.wav

https://www.badscrew.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/big-ies-bass.wav

Sounding good!

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...