Why become a member? ×

New semi hollow bass from Guild

Grahambythesea

This has appeared on the Thomman site, shortly available, but it’s not even on Guild’s own site yet. A Starfire 1 bass with single pickup and tailpiece rather than the more familiar Starfire 11 with a bridge tailpiece and big pickup/s. I don’t think guild ever made a 1 that looked like this but it has got a retro look and is not costing a fortune. £439 @ Thomman but with the new rules presumably they’ll be import charges.

I hope someone in the U.K. stocks them as I’d really like to try one once we’re allowed out again.

93E41518-10CB-4EED-BC6E-5F871A81C428.jpeg

• Like 6

I'm very impressed with the build quality of my flamed maple starfire II.

This budget version looks pretty good, but its lost much of what sets a starfire apart from other semis by doing away with the one piece bridge and not having a chunky bisonic pickup. Also it looks like it might have a flat top & back rather than arched.

• 8 months later...
On 04/02/2021 at 15:02, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

I'm very impressed with the build quality of my flamed maple starfire II.

This budget version looks pretty good, but its lost much of what sets a starfire apart from other semis by doing away with the one piece bridge and not having a chunky bisonic pickup. Also it looks like it might have a flat top & back rather than arched.

It is arched back and front according to the specs.  Having said that, it doesn't appear to have a pickup according to the specs so read into that what you will :)

Some real life (side on) pics rather than the flat lit official pics would be good (hint hint, @kristo ;))

Additional: I'm not that bothered about the loss of the one piece bridge.  The tailpiece is nice and distinctive and at least reminiscent of the shape of the old one piece bridge baseplate.  I quite like how it's spaced out.

The Epiphone Jack Casady has the one piece bridge we all know and love, so having a one piece bridge isn't solely a Guild thing.

7 hours ago, neepheid said:

It is arched back and front according to the specs.  Having said that, it doesn't appear to have a pickup according to the specs so read into that what you will :)

Some real life (side on) pics rather than the flat lit official pics would be good (hint hint, @kristo ;))

It does have an arched front and back. It’s also extremely light which is a plus for me.

I’m pretty smitten, being a fan of hollow basses and P pickups. I went for the Walnut which is darker than expected in the flesh. I might save for a cherry too as I’m that into them (and like a backup). 

Fitted with TI flats it does everything I need. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, kristo said:

Sorry, my bad. 

D48A9F79-829A-41A8-AD34-EDEF22D3499E.jpeg

CFAB479A-0C3D-4D13-A770-274E9A4FAF95.jpeg

F5A37208-5411-42BB-B207-FBBB99F936D8.jpeg

A893CBDE-558C-42E3-BDCD-4557D93426BF.jpeg

That's really nice, congratulations. I'm not a fan of red/mahogany guitars and decided to take the plunge on a walnut one of these and judging from your photos I'm pleased I did. 

I managed to get it for under £450 new and it will hopefully arrive some time next week. I appreciate it's not to everyone's taste but I really like the P Bass pickup on the body shape. 

• Like 2

Phwooooaaah! They do the cherry colour version in left handed!! I was tempted but the scale length put me off. I bought a Jack Casady instead and now can't get a case to fit it.... Fuming. Fancied one of these though, could have used for acoustic and electric gigs easily.

Mine arrived yesterday and after putting a set of flats on it, I must say I love it. It's got a very different vibe to my Fender JMJ and despite both being short scale they really are poles apart (in a good way). 

Out of interest, has anyone found a suitable case/gigbag for theirs yet?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, neepheid said:

Yes, it does.

Winner!! £50 cheaper than the Epiphone bag... And it actually exists. One retailer says they will have the Epiphone ones for end of the calendar year, another says six months, one says Epiphone has closed their order books for the year so they just can't say when they can expect any in. They all want me to buy now though.... Hmmmm.

I'm not at a point in my life where bass weight is a significant issue, but there have been times when the hollow body has come in handy - like the time I bruised my ribs and had back to back gigs on the same night - the light weight was very much appreciated :D

Mind you, it's been a while since I've owned a 12lb+ boat anchor with strings - am I still strong enough to endure it?