Why become a member? ×

If you could choose only one bass guitar ...

Happy Jack

1 hour ago, Steve Browning said:

This makes me wonder. What happened to the relay bass in the end?

I think it eventually got back to James Ryan, who was the mastermind of the whole project. I believe he sold it to add to the money made by the relay. I can’t remember what James’ user name is but I’m pretty sure he hasn’t posted for quite a while.

• Thanks 1

I see the bass as a tool to achieve something. While I can't understand the point of owning lots of different brands with the same number of strings, I wouldn't have "just one" bass because the basses that I have serve different purposes. I currently have 8 basses, but one is old and senile, one is  back in its packaging to be sold in the future because it weighs more than a house, and the other is an unsellable 5 string fretless that has no use (I have a 6 string and a 4 string fretless, so the 5 string is no use).

The 5 basses I have and need are a 6 string fretted and fretless, a 5 string fretted, and a 4 string fretted and fretless. The policy is one in one out.

They have different needs and they're the minimum that I need. I use a 4 because that's a standard bass, but on rare occasions I need a C or a B string, but it's a bad idea to use more strings than you have to so I only use what is necessary.

I'm not a collector and I don't believe in pretty things. Basses are tools like a hammer or a wrench, but I don't see myself supercharging any of my hammers or buying a screwdriver in blue any time soon.

Edited by TheLowDown
  • Like 2

I completely understand those of us who see the bass as a tool - precisely as @TheLowDown articulates it.

After all I'm the same with cars. Do not care how it looks, neither shape nor colour matter one bit to me. I can't imagine ever wanting to own more than one vehicle unless the 2nd one had a specific purpose not fulfilled by the 1st. Like a camper van for example. 

All that matters is I can get my gear in, it goes and is as cheap as possible to maintain, tax, insure and put fuel into. 

Other people adore cars, would own a stable if them if they could afford to, and wouldn't touch my battered kia with a barge pole. 

None of us is all one thing, we all share sone traits they just get expressed differently. 

A bass is a poetic tool to me. A thing of aesthetic potential used to create art with others. I take pleasure looking at it. A different pleasure setting the action and a particular thrill just holding it, before I even play a note. 

Having one television seems crazy to me. Having one in each room beggars belief. But I have no objection to anyone else having them in all shapes and sizes anywhere they like. 

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 3

To me it's two hobbies linked by a common theme. 

One hobby is playing bass in a band and when gigging I tend to settle on one bass and stick with it. 

The second hobby is tinkering with basses. Buying quirky or old instruments and reviving them. Setting them up to play their best, restoring or refinishing and modifying them. 

I have quite a few basses (and guitars, shhh) and while they are not an investment as such, they have a monetary value, if I need that money one day I can sell some or all.

It's much more fun owning basses than it is owning money. A money collection is the dullest thing I can think of. Money is just an IOU, much like my instrument collection. Both can be traded for other stuff when the need arises. 

If I had to own only one of mine though it would be my modified Variax. They don't get much love but it has everything, playability, looks and versatility. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 05/02/2021 at 06:58, Newfoundfreedom said:

It's like an obsession. There's far, far more interest in the gear forums than there is in any of the forums dealing with actual music, playing, or technique. 

Quite sad really. 

One thing a lifetime in music has taught me is to walk in the opposite direction from anyone who wants to talk about technique. 

• Like 3

I completely concur with @Maude  I'm definitely in the two hobby camp.

I enjoy playing live and rehearsing with like minded mates in different bands covering different musical styles. The differing music calls for different basses which feeds the second hobby of acquiring basses that are uncommon and appealing to me. I enjoy building Bitsa basses which have aspects which would not normally be readily available inside my budget. I have been fortunate to acquire a few genuine vintage basses each one having a story of a particular point in my life. Every bass has a different character and special meaning to me so I don't suppose I'll be parting any of them while I am still able play. 

Apologies for the melancholy, endless drivel. 🤐

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

Bring me back something nice then, and not just a crappy postcard like the last time please - thanks

Dude, that was a ransom note from the pirates onboard Trav Cruises as we coasted Somalia 😅

Turned out to be nice guys, spoke good English, disliked brown basses and favoured a low slung bass.

• Haha 1

Well...... i guess I’m sorta guilty of having one or two Bass more then I’d probably should.
I have one Squier P with a Seymour Duncan pickup/ cheap Jazz fretless/ import L2000 with a dead preamp/ Ibanez EHB1005ms. 
The EHB does the main stuff, the P was my first bass( that’s going nowhere) and fretless it’s just mess around. 
Never done any real gigging because I’m that sorta blocke that is working when other are gigging. 

On 06/02/2021 at 07:35, Ricky Rioli said:

I bought a bass guitar and so had one bass guitar. A bit later I dropped it off with the tech for a set up and found that I was back to having no bass guitar and thought, I'm not letting this happen again.

I was the same. I had 14 basses and I dropped one off for some work and found that I was down to 13 basses, and I thought 'I'm not going to let this happen again'.

spiderman_dancing.GIF.d0c33a32cac72b845d01ff957a028250.GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Since 1974 up to present I have had only 1 Bass at a time [Have Acoustic Takamine for couch noodling now].

Being a low paid Amateur Club Bassist[100-300 Gig] with maybe a thousand Gig's and DIY recordings of the 1 Original Band I played with was lucky I guess; never had a problem.

From 75 to 2001 had a American 1975 P [Sold it; thought I was done] 2002-2013 A 2001 American P, 2013-16 EBMM REFLEX 2017-2019 EBMM Stingray 90's,12-2019 to present Fender Ultra Precision.

My luck also was good with Amps also had an SVT from 75-80 playing 3 to 5 Gig's a week never had a breakdown.

I played hard and loud most of those 45 years even now😀

• Like 1

"If you could choose only 1 bass guitar ..."

This is a hard question to answer. Quite apart from the enjoyment of the feel and tone of each is the delight to the eye of these beautiful objects. I have just 7 at the moment and there are 1 or 2 that I regret moving on.

If it comes down to a choice of 1 it would probably be my Hofner HCT violin. My Squier Mustang comes a close 2nd. Both are sunburst.

Why the Hofner? I think, apart from the joy of holding a beautifully made instrument, is the lovely tone, clear and wide, even with the quirky controls.

OK, you've guessed it, I just like violin basses.