Why become a member? ×

If you could choose only one bass guitar ...

Happy Jack

23 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

... then you'd be living in North Korea.

You mean like somewhere that you're not allowed to do certain things, like mix with other people, travel to other countries, perform live music or entertainment, criticise the authorities, go shopping for pleasure, visit other parts of your own country, spend time with family, protest against perceived injustice etc. ?

Ah!

It's hard to imagine somewhere like that from our privileged position. :|

lulz.gif.7e62c1d8af966de72a5bf6f9b3f199ac.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Easy. The one I use. I've got another one on the wall looking pretty, and another one in a case under the bed gathering dust. 

I've never really understood the point in owning loads of basses. 

I get it if you're a session musician or doing some recording. But for most pub band type players, who wants to cart loads of basses to a gig and faff about changing every other song?

One bass for both practicing and gigging. Job done. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

I know a guy, and this will stretch if not beggar belief, who not only goes to gigs with his solitary instrument (no back up bass, no spare amp or cables) but actually sold his bass at the start of lockdown because he wouldn't need it for a while..

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

I know a guy, and this will stretch if not beggar belief, who not only goes to gigs with his solitary instrument (no back up bass, no spare amp or cables)

Neither did I until about 10 years ago. Back in the day musicians  didn't carry spares or backups, well, I didn't know anyone who did, we couldn't afford to. No one had any money.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

I didn't originally because I was a kid and only had one guitar. But the first time I was left high and dry at a gig by faulty gear was the last time.

Good call Stew, same for me, first time my lone bass failed at a gig was the last time I only took one bass to a gig.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chris_b said:

I didn't even own 2 basses until I'd been playing nearly 40 years. My owning 2 basses actually predates joining Basschat, but this place certainly makes it easier to own more stuff.

It's like an obsession. There's far, far more interest in the gear forums than there is in any of the forums dealing with actual music, playing, or technique. 

Quite sad really. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

It's like an obsession. There's far, far more interest in the gear forums than there is in any of the forums dealing with actual music, playing, or technique. 

Quite sad really. 

Buying gear is quick and easy and independent of ability. Actually playing and improving is a different thing entirely.

48 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Quite sad really. 

Something like trolling a perfectly reasonable discussion among like-minded people maybe?

• Like 1