Why become a member? ×

Pino Palladino's solo album

BassAgent

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/02/2021 at 11:29, DaveFry said:

Interesting to see a berimbau mentioned .
We have a large Portuguese community here and a couple of summers back a Capoeira group used to meet in the park at weekends . One guy was playing a berimbau so I asked a Portuguese guitarist friend of mine about it and he explained that it was common to make your own out of driftwood from the Brazilian beach , fencing wire , a coffee tin and pebbles .
The next time I visited him he had made one from a garden cane , a guitar string , a margarine tub ,cable ties , a Kinder egg with rice in for the shaker , a chopstick and a 50pence piece so I had a play on it . Fascinating .

While I was Chairman of my local orchestra, I had a hand in commissioning a concerto for percussion and orchestra from a wonderful guy named Adriano Adewale. One of the vernacular instruments he used was the Berimbau. I loved it and still do

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Bought the album today. On first listen I really like it.

The production/engineering is right up my street - for starters, it’s a really ‘warm’ sounding record (though my ears ain’t what they used to be!).

Unsurprisingly the musicianship and playing is top drawer throughput. 

I’m a big fan of Pino and his playing, but this has opened my eyes (and ears) to a different side to him, in terms of his musical writing/ideas. Elements of nu soul and hip hop grooves (J Dilla), with cinematic soundtrack pieces sitting comfortably alongside afro beat, experimental and avant-garde jazz tracks.

Such a talented all round musician/composer... bloody smart a**e!! Is there nothing this man can’t do?!

Edited by Old Man Riva
Avant-garde jazz, and further Pino praise!