Why become a member? ×

Pino Palladino's solo album

BassAgent

So Pino Palladino's releasing a solo album in March, and he has released the first single last week, it's called "Just Wrong", here's the studio version:

But today, a live version of that composition surfaced on the YouTubes. Pino on his fretless Stingray with Blake Mills and Sem Gendel. And I can't express how much I love Pino's playing in this video. Look at those HUGE hands. Listen to how he handles harmonics. Check out the brilliant arrangement, both in composition and sounds between the musicians. What an amazing piece of art.

• Like 6

An interesting array of amplification there, certainly devoid of any bass specific ones I could make out.

The size of Pino’s hands is incredible, easily 50% bigger than mine, probably more. It does seem that there are more virtuoso bass and guitar players with large hands and long, delicate fingers, than those with a bunch of sausages.

15 minutes ago, ezbass said:

An interesting array of amplification there, certainly devoid of any bass specific ones I could make out.

The size of Pino’s hands is incredible, easily 50% bigger than mine, probably more. It does seem that there are more virtuoso bass and guitar players with large hands and long, delicate fingers, than those with a bunch of sausages.

I think the Deluxe is Pino's amp here (as @Steve Browning points out), the Titano (Magnatone subbrand) might also add, but I think that belongs to Blake Mills. The tweed Fender and the small Kalamazoo amps are probably guitar or sax amps.

Interesting to see a berimbau mentioned .
We have a large Portuguese community here and a couple of summers back a Capoeira group used to meet in the park at weekends . One guy was playing a berimbau so I asked a Portuguese guitarist friend of mine about it and he explained that it was common to make your own out of driftwood from the Brazilian beach , fencing wire , a coffee tin and pebbles .
The next time I visited him he had made one from a garden cane , a guitar string , a margarine tub ,cable ties , a Kinder egg with rice in for the shaker , a chopstick and a 50pence piece so I had a play on it . Fascinating .

• Like 1

Really interesting to see/hear both these versions. I love the arrangement of the original and (from within my own frame of reference), I couldn't help feeling that there was a certain amount of influence from Claus Ogerman. I'm also with @DaveFry re the Berimbau. I've always loved Latin percussion instruments and have been mightily impressed seeing the likes of Airto Moreira and Nana Vasconcelos, in particular, work their magic on these.

2 hours ago, BassAgent said:

I think the Deluxe is Pino's amp here (as @Steve Browning points out), the Titano (Magnatone subbrand) might also add, but I think that belongs to Blake Mills. The tweed Fender and the small Kalamazoo amps are probably guitar or sax amps.

Sorry. The Deluxe belongs to my friend.

3 hours ago, BassAgent said:

So Pino Palladino's releasing a solo album in March, and he has released the first single last week, it's called "Just Wrong", here's the studio version:

But today, a live version of that composition surfaced on the YouTubes. Pino on his fretless Stingray with Blake Mills and Sem Gendel. And I can't express how much I love Pino's playing in this video. Look at those HUGE hands. Listen to how he handles harmonics. Check out the brilliant arrangement, both in composition and sounds between the musicians. What an amazing piece of art.

Love that! (live performance). Thank you so much for posting/sharing...

Edited by Old Man Riva

6 hours ago, ezbass said:

I'm sure he's got an  extra set of joints in his fingers 🤣

• Like 1

There comes a time when a musician gets so good that they go over the edge and start playing with odd instruments. Like when Dave Weckl started using bongos. I think this is a good example of pushing the envelope too far. It’s not for me!

• Like 1