Why become a member? ×

New Sire models

uk_lefty

2 hours ago, Saul Panzer said:

I was in the market for something with a precision pickup and I'm already sold on Sire basses being my go-to brand for now after getting the V3.
I had a look at the P5 and gave it some serious consideration..opted to preorder a P7 instead, time will tell if that was a good move.

I'd personally go for the P7. You get a J pup you don't have to use and an active pre amp that again, you don't have to use. But as said before the pre amp is the big plus on Sire's for me. The unfortunate thing is that the 5 series, the passives, all come with that lovely roasted maple neck that you don't get on the 7s. 

28 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

I'd personally go for the P7. You get a J pup you don't have to use and an active pre amp that again, you don't have to use. But as said before the pre amp is the big plus on Sire's for me. The unfortunate thing is that the 5 series, the passives, all come with that lovely roasted maple neck that you don't get on the 7s. 

The preamp is pretty sweet for sure, I think the P7 has the same one my V3 has which is super versatile.
Part of the reason I wanted to play around with the precision option is that my V3 spends 95% of its life in passive mode with a 50/50 pup split and flatwounds to get a naturally thicker sound.

While I didn't specifically need the extra jazz pickup and preamp you're right in having it but not needing to use it..the options are there if the mood hits.
I'd assume that the P5 and P7 in passive are going to be similar beasts in terms of sound.

On 06/02/2021 at 16:20, uk_lefty said:

7s were the original models, 9s and 10s are more expensive than 7s. 5s cheaper then 3s cheapest. Not sure why those numbers but at least they indicate something

If I may add to this: I was under the impression the 5 series is about the same level of quality as the 7 series, only passive. 9s have fancy tops and 10s have fancy tops and different pu's. 3s are cheaper made than 7s but still active. Logically, we may one day see a 1 series: same level of quality as the cheaper 3 series but passive. Could be some awesome (and probably dirt cheap) entry level basses. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, lksmks792 said:

If I may add to this: I was under the impression the 5 series is about the same level of quality as the 7 series, only passive. 9s have fancy tops and 10s have fancy tops and different pu's. 3s are cheaper made than 7s but still active. Logically, we may one day see a 1 series: same level of quality as the cheaper 3 series but passive. Could be some awesome (and probably dirt cheap) entry level basses. 

I still live in hope of a P3 model. Can't see it happening somehow, which is a shame really. 

• Like 2