Why become a member? ×

Atrocious bass tone!

Hambone

I'm playing a Yamaha BB1025X through a Zoom B3, then straight into the mixer (QSC TouchMix) via XLR. No matter what I do with the B3 (tried tons of patches, EQ, different amp models, etc), or with the Yamaha pickup and tone controls, the only tone I seem to be able get is a slightly distorted synth-like sine wave with massive sustain. To my ears, it doesn't sound anything like a bass guitar! I get a more usable tone plugging into the Roland HS-5 mixer (using the built-in bass amp simulator) that I use for practice. I get better results with a P Bass, but I much prefer playing the Yamaha.

Any help appreciated!

Edited by Hambone

Back to basics - you should have a bass guitar that sounds like ....errrr..........a bass guitar anytime you plug it straight into a desk or an amp. It's that simple.

Any effects pedals should be just to fine tune your sound or to get a particular effect, not to get a basic sound.

I'm no expert, but this problem simply sounds like the input on your desk is set far too sensitively for the chunky bass signal you're providing. What if you plug straight into a small amp? Do you have the same problem?

• Like 5

I’d also add that the output on the 1025x is really hot. You’ll need to dial the input gain back a bit. I suspect that the high output of the bass and the high zoom preset level is the problem. I’ve recorded my 1025x loads of times and it sounds great.

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for the replies!

It does seem that the Yamaha's pickups are hot, and that the B3 input is too sensitive, and not adjustable. I even tried setting the B3 to active, and I still get the same full-on tone. Even the headphone output from the B3 into headphones is too hot, so it's not the PA mixer causing the problem.

The only amp I have is a Fender Rumble 100, and although the tone isn't so full-on as through the B3, I don't like the overall tone, which I characterize as 'cardboard'. Also, our rehearsals and practices have to be 'silent', so it's IEMs or headphones. Perhaps I need a higher-quality preamp.

14 hours ago, NoirBass said:

I’d also add that the output on the 1025x is really hot. You’ll need to dial the input gain back a bit. I suspect that the high output of the bass and the high zoom preset level is the problem. I’ve recorded my 1025x loads of times and it sounds great.

Do you DI, or mic a cab?

Edited by Hambone

Something is definitely not right here - the B3 is part of my live setup and I've not had issues like this at all.

Is your power supply good? What happens when you back off the volume on the bass to halfway? Do you  have the B3 XLR output set to pre or post?

What does the headphone output on the B3 sound like when you just plug a pair of headphones in to it? That is to say bass into B3 input, headphones into L/Mono Phones output.

How long have you been using the B3 for and did you buy it new? You could try a factory reset on the unit to see if that clears it. If you have a load of your own patches then you would probably want to save them first - this can be done using the Zoom Edit and Share software.

This sort of problem can only be solved by logical process of elimination.

On 03/02/2021 at 12:01, Bigguy2017 said:

Check you are going into an XLR line input and not an XLR mic input - it may be switchable.

This sounds like the issue to me. If the sound is over-driven, you have to overloading the input, probably on the mixer. I'd try running the Zoom into a line input.

On 04/02/2021 at 18:39, Skinnyman said:

I had a similar problem with a B3 when using it with a non-Zoom power supply. They seem to be okay with Boss PSUs but mine definitely had a tantrum when powered with an EHX power supply even though it was nominally the right rating.

Perhaps this is the issue. I am using a non-Zoom PSU.

On 04/02/2021 at 04:35, EMG456 said:

Something is definitely not right here - the B3 is part of my live setup and I've not had issues like this at all.

Is your power supply good? What happens when you back off the volume on the bass to halfway? Do you  have the B3 XLR output set to pre or post?

What does the headphone output on the B3 sound like when you just plug a pair of headphones in to it? That is to say bass into B3 input, headphones into L/Mono Phones output.

How long have you been using the B3 for and did you buy it new? You could try a factory reset on the unit to see if that clears it. If you have a load of your own patches then you would probably want to save them first - this can be done using the Zoom Edit and Share software.

This sort of problem can only be solved by logical process of elimination.

The headphone output sounds just as distorted as the line out. I have had the B3 for about 7 years now, and only just started using it again. I don't remember having this issue before. I have done a factory reset.

I tried my little Ibanez Mezzo bass rather than the Yamaha or PBass, and it sounds MUCH better. The Mezzo is active, and I backed off the bass volume as the B3 has no input trim. The Mezzo sounds great plugged straight into the mixer, too.

Thanks once again for the inputs!

Edited by Hambone