Why become a member? ×

PMT: Cheap Ashdown Stuart Zender Funk Face Pedals

MattW

Hi All,

I've just ordered one of these and thought I'd share.  PMT are selling these for £129 on the website, which is about £100 cheaper than anyone else and the RRP is £299!  Handmade in the UK, tube powered funkiness!

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/ashdown-funk-face-stuart-zender-signature-twin-dynamic-filter-pedal

Can't wait to try it!

Edited by MattW
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, stewblack said:

Nice one. I've been trying to find a tube zipper, I wonder if this would be similar.. 

IIRC The funk face sounds very like the EHX Bassballs but with a tube drive, rather than a fuzz. 

Maybe the tube will give it a richer voice, but the Bassballs will give you that sound for a lot less Shackles.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, lee650 said:

IIRC The funk face sounds very like the EHX Bassballs but with a tube drive, rather than a fuzz. 

Maybe the tube will give it a richer voice, but the Bassballs will give you that sound for a lot less Shackles.

It arrived yesterday and sounds very nice on my initial test, but you make a good point so I plan to AB it with my baseballs tomorrow to see!

What I think is good is that the drive and wah are independently footswitchable, which means I easily have three sounds from one pedal, plus you can post/pre the drive with a switch, so that gives a fourth - good for pedalboard real estate!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, MattW said:

It arrived yesterday and sounds very nice on my initial test, but you make a good point so I plan to AB it with my baseballs tomorrow to see!

What I think is good is that the drive and wah are independently footswitchable, which means I easily have three sounds from one pedal, plus you can post/pre the drive with a switch, so that gives a fourth - good for pedalboard real estate!

Would you have paid 300 quid for it? Or is 129 about right? I love Ashdown generally for everything but always thought 300 quid pedals was stretching it. Be interested to hear your view. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Would you have paid 300 quid for it? Or is 129 about right? I love Ashdown generally for everything but always thought 300 quid pedals was stretching it. Be interested to hear your view. 

I'm a big Ashdown fan too, and this is a nice, well built, solid sounding pedal, but as you suggest £300 is possibly too much considering the competition.  £129 is very good value considering what it can do, and I'll be hanging onto it for sure!  

• Like 2

Was interested how this would work as a pure valve drive, with its single 12AX7 - you get to hear that at 4.09+ to warm up an amp. Sounds good, but not sure its going to be too different to a mild fuzz setting on a decent fuzz pedal e.g. the Tech 21 Red Ripper.

On 02/02/2021 at 12:44, MattW said:

Hi All,

I've just ordered one of these and thought I'd share.  PMT are selling these for £129 on the website, which is about £100 cheaper than anyone else and the RRP is £299!  Handmade in the UK, tube powered funkiness!

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/ashdown-funk-face-stuart-zender-signature-twin-dynamic-filter-pedal

Can't wait to try it!

Looking forward to the review, I’ve looked at these on and off for a while...

• 3 weeks later...