Why become a member? ×

Budget multi fx

sshorepunk

Good morning

i have several effects, lots of filters, compressor, octave, wah. But occasionally I’m wanting chorus, phaser, delay etc, so thinking about bursting in a multi fx to fill the gap for those less used, but sometimes essential effects 

I have noticed a lot of love for for budget zoom fx such as MS 60-B and then there is the option of a boss box 

only ever had one of these and that was a digitech BP-8 when they first came out which is probably in the 90’s sometime, I think 

Thanks

Tony

Hi Tony,

Had a few multifx in my day and have have landed on the Zoom B1-4. In fact I have two - one at the heart of my little board and a spare as a very handy headphone amp / drum machine / tuner.

PB - 2007mini IIC2 .jpg

I use for dirt, chorus, delay, some really useful EQ settings etc. I've found I've mostly created my own patches rather than use the uploaded presets and the format of 5 banks of 10 patches makes moving about pretty easy particularly when combined with the up / down paddles.

Creating and editing patches can be done on the pedal itself or via the very handy Zoom PC editing software or the even better free ToneLib software (link to that on the OP of the thread below): 

Zoom B1-4 & B3N - Effects patch ideas and tips - Effects - Basschat

Overall it's amazingly good value!

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

i was in a very similar situation and bought a Zoom MS-60B, it works great as an occasional pedal, mine got moved on as i realised that I was barely using it and wanted the space for a dedicated chorus pedal as that was what I had it set to 99% of the time anyway.

I think I sold mine for 55 quid a month or two back, for the money they're very good.

Matt

Multi-FX have moved on a fair bit since the days of the BP-8 and other boxes.

If you have a limited budget, then definitely look at the Zoom B1 Four. The MS-60B is a bit old these days, where the B1 Four is relatively new, and benefits from the tech in units like the B3n etc. Plus you get two footswitches instead of one, and the ability to use the PC Editor.

Zoom site is great, Recommend the Manual Download, if you only have the Quick guide, Then a Factory Reset and Firmware Upgrade if an older model, Can also download software to add extra effects and manage patches... Great little bit of kit, just never had the time, so sold my B1XFour on.

Edited by PaulThePlug

• 1 month later...

I have all 3, Zoom MS-60b, Zoom B3n, and Boss GT-1b. The Boss gets the most use. Zoom B3n works great if you turn things on and off a lot. Boss for set it and forget it patch style, switching patches as needed. It can do on and offs but programming is cumbersome for that. I like the Boss sounds better though. The MS-60b is fine for 1 or 2 (it will do up to 4) effects or just trying out different things and very pedal board friendly. 

I had to spend an absolute fortune on expensive pedals in order to discover how good my Zoom multi effects are. 

Until I had actually played through several 150 - 200 quid envelope filters, I didn't realise how good the filters on the B1on actually are. 

I really enjoyed the Zoom MS60B and B1-on, then I heard the quality of effects on the Line 6 M5.

Granted, it will only do one effect at a time, but as part of a bigger effects board it’s got all of my modulation needs (and a couple of ‘wants’) covered!!