Why become a member? ×

Hard Case discussion.

NancyJohnson

16 minutes ago, Madein1962 said:

@dmc79 the Tourtech Pro weighs slightly less than the gator abs TSA case, according to my luggage scales but, still over 5kg.

Thanks for that. Quite a difference from the 4Kg stated on the site 

3 hours ago, BlueMoon said:

While I don’t have the precise number to hand, I’ve always found Hiscox (chainsaw-shaped) hardcases to be sturdy and light in weight. A P bass should fit with no problems.

Yep, used Hiscox cases for years with my Precisions and not too heavy to cart about.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Good to hear as i recently bought a bass that came with a hiscox case and took a trip to the factory to get some extra padding so that it fits more snugly and a back pack harness so I can carry it around like a gig bag. Really nice people there. We may be touring abroad next year so I was hoping that it would be ok and not have to take a cumbersome traditional flight case. I had considered a bass safe but my gig bag won't fit. 

On 13/03/2023 at 10:27, BigRedX said:

Unless you are flying, or chuck all the gear in the back of the van for gigging, I personally wouldn't bother with a hard case. Get a well-padded gig bag instead. 

I got them to retrofit one of their back pack harnesses on my existing case so I can put it in the back of the van and carry it round like a gig bag when i need to do the load in. Pretty good.

25 minutes ago, jazzyvee said:

I got them to retrofit one of their back pack harnesses on my existing case so I can put it in the back of the van and carry it round like a gig bag when i need to do the load in. Pretty good.

How much did that cost if you don't mind me asking?

I have a very battered Hiscox case that needs a bit of refurbishment, and that sound like an excellent addition to be done at the same time.

Well i bought a new case from them for my other bass as well, and they put in padding for the best fit on both cases plus the harnesses so it was an all in price so i don't know the price of the harness on it's own so I think best to ask them directly. 

Edited by jazzyvee

On 04/07/2023 at 13:28, jazzyvee said:

Anyone had experience of taking their bass abroad in a Hiscox case?

Yes. Used a standard bass Hiscox case with a headed bass one year, and the following two years I used the same case with a headless bass and tucked a Zoom MS60B into the bit where the headstock would have gone. Easyjet to and from Munich. I don't claim to be a seasoned international traveller but all went OK. Going back to OP (two years ago) and the preference for rectangular cases - the closer the fit to the bass, the less flex you'll get on the faces of the case. The centre of a big rectangular case will deflect inwards more than the centre of a closer-fitting case, and so poses more of a crush hazard to the bass.

On 04/07/2023 at 14:28, jazzyvee said:

Not for bass but I’ve taken guitars abroad on tour in Hiscox Liteflite cases many times. In and out of aeroplane holds no problem. I’ve had 20 years out of one of mine and the only thing I ever had to replace was one of the round buttons that act as feet on the underside of the case.

Plus, on most tours I’ve done where air travel is involved, bassists seem to use Hiscox cases too. They’re not the cheapest option but they’re definitely worth it 👍

On 04/07/2023 at 13:28, jazzyvee said:

Another satisfied Hiscox user here. Taken mine to Spain and Morocco with no problems.

Love their products, which are still made in the UK by a great company.