Why become a member? ×

Ss head and 4x10 hire

roonjuice

When I used to hire a lot of survey equipment, the going rate was roughly 1 / 200th of the replacement cost, per day of hire.

Hiring backline for festivals, we used to pay about the same rates.

However, mostly that was on the basis of a 1-2 day hire. If it was a longer term hire, you would get a reduced rate.

In your scenario, I would look at it as 42 shows, and then decide if you want to give them 'mates rates' or add on a little more if you think there is a risk of damage - either from the band, punters or lack of security.

Also depends a bit on how attached you are to the rig, and how you would feel if something happened to it.

Unless you are dealing with pros, who understand the costs of the kit, be prepared for people to baulk at whatever price you quote.

out of interest what is this run of shows?

A stage show/musical?

Will you be able to charge if you provide the equipment for the get in, but the shows don't go ahead due to coronavirus? If you can't get your rig back while the venue is closed with no performances it will need to be hired.

I only bring this up as I have acquaintances who do pit work and couldn't get some of their instruments out from the theatres during the first lockdown.

28 minutes ago, Woodwind said:

out of interest what is this run of shows?

A stage show/musical?

Will you be able to charge if you provide the equipment for the get in, but the shows don't go ahead due to coronavirus? If you can't get your rig back while the venue is closed with no performances it will need to be hired.

I only bring this up as I have acquaintances who do pit work and couldn't get some of their instruments out from the theatres during the first lockdown.

I think it’s a show band at a caravan park kinda thing. 

• Like 1

Certainly for the hire of marine survey kit, that was the going rate, but we are talking about equipment in the £5k -  £50k price range, and quite a limited selection of suppliers. 

I've just had a look at the prices on a local PA / Backline hire company (DM Audio) and it looks like 1 / 20th is about the going rate, so my bad. 

Edited by Simon.

Indeed, which to me seem a bit excessive. Then again, I don't know how many day in a year these things are likely to be out on hire, and at what kind of frequency they need to be replaced.

If you have a bass rig that only goes out on hire for 50 days in a year, but needs to be replaced at the end of that year because it's been trashed, then yeah, 1/20th makes sense. If it's out for 50 days in a year, but will last you 10 years, with minimal maintenance, then it becomes a cash-cow.

If you we looking to hire something long term for a show (more than 5 weeks), then surely it would make sense just to buy, new or 2nd hand, and then flog it at the end? Which, admittedly, wouldn't help @roonjuice any.

1 minute ago, Simon. said:

Indeed, which to me seem a bit excessive. Then again, I don't know how many day in a year these things are likely to be out on hire, and at what kind of frequency they need to be replaced.

If you have a bass rig that only goes out on hire for 50 days in a year, but needs to be replaced at the end of that year because it's been trashed, then yeah, 1/20th makes sense. If it's out for 50 days in a year, but will last you 10 years, with minimal maintenance, then it becomes a cash-cow.

If you we looking to hire something long term for a show (more than 5 weeks), then surely it would make sense just to buy, new or 2nd hand, and then flog it at the end? Which, admittedly, wouldn't help @roonjuice any.

Maybe @roonjuice should, indeed, sell it to 'em, and buy it back afterwards..? B|