Why become a member? ×

Need help with ID of a bass

sora

Hey guys, first time posting here.

I came across this bass being advertised as an "American vintage jazz bass". I have been trying to identify what it is specifically but so far I don't have a solid idea. It has the fender back plate logo and the corona California description which, if I am not mistaken, was on the American standard j-bass, however its got block inlays and the nobs are... different, from what fender used to sell in that line up. Do you guys think it might have been modded or maybe its not even a fender ?  

Note: The person selling doesn't know much about basses (neither do I rly). Also I have seen many vintage fender re issues looking like this but never matching all details, and lastly I currently don't have an image of the back headstock.

144245928_342410620252499_32455416261450145041679_342405716919656_48688392040741

Hi there,

See if you can get the serial number from the vendor, and match it up using one of the online resources. 

From what I can recall,  the American Fender I used to own had the serial number on the front of the headstock,  but this varies from model to model.

Alas that it's all too easy to change a decal and or a neck plate and thereby pass off a cheaper bass as a more expensive one.

The sunburst and headstock logo don't look right to me. Alarm bells are ringing on this one.

Where the bottom of the neck goes from round to flat to fit in the pocket also looks wrong to me. I would walk away from this. Fake.

Edited by Doctor J

There is a lot of minor details here that would make me believe this is not a genuine fender:

1. The sunburst contours are very crude. 

2. The bridge looks cheap, it does not look like a fender bridge. 

3. The skunk stripe on the neck as a lot darker than what fender skunk stripes look like. 

4. You are right about the control knobs definitely not genuine fender. 

Too many thinks wrong here, definetely walk away. 

Edited by Crawford13

Skunk stripe is for maple fingerboard by Fender, not rosewood, that here looks like ebony...

The Fender plate is not correctly positioned, clearly a DIY thing.

To me it's an assembly with a non Fender neck and certainly a non Fender body.

The knobs are simply metal ones. A common change by Fender users to make it à la Jaco Pastorius.

Edited by Hellzero
Knobs comment
  • Like 1