Why become a member? ×

February Composition Challenge

lurksalot

Roll up , Roll up 

We have the picture to inspire you for this month.

Congratulations to @Dad3353 for his winning entry in January and we wish you best wishes in your return to fitness. 

While Douglas is recuperating, the worthy runner up @upside downer has the honour of picture choice and has thus offered..........

sumo2.jpeg

Usual rules apply. You know the drill:

✔️ Entries must be <5 minutes and written/recorded this month.

No illegal samples, copyright infringements or other snide goings-on

Bagpipes. ( Christmas truce now expired) . Also on thin ice with panpipes, to be perfectly honest.

No voting for your own entry. We'll know. And we'll shame you.

A short month this one so get stuck in, deadline for entries is midnight on Sunday 21st February * 

Enjoy :sun_bespectacled:

*realistically  the voting thread probably wont go up till 8 ish on the Monday , but don't risk it as I don't know how to edit polls :D

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Here is my contribution to the February 2021 Basschat Composition Challenge, inspired by a picture chosen by the previous joint winner: Upside Downer..!
The scene is set by the picture: the Champion is coming forward, heralded by the traditional bangings, gongs and flutes, advancing with increasing alacrity to centre stage. The tension mounts. A surprise awaits... 
Just three new Kontakt 'freebie' instruments were put to (mis...) use here, with final assistance afforded by Aikimo and The Little 'erbert.  Mixed in Reaper (what else..?), with no treatment whatever. Just a plain, simple mix again.
Thanks for listening, if you already have; if you're about to, enjoy.

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my entry into this months basschat competition. Using the image chosen for last months winner(dad3353), as inspiration.
There's nothing much to see here, so please move on !!

There's no underlying social comment about large industry, nanny state,industrial countries and the developing world.
No, it's just big guy has plodding motiff and little guy runs.
Mustang bass, squire guitar,my vocal,mt drums, lpk25 keys and some kontakt bits all bundled into reaper.

It was my 3 1/2 year old lad running about that formed the lyric base !!

• Like 3

Disclaimer : I self-declared Upside Downer as Joint Winner, as I'd not voted in time, and that would have tipped the balance (I wasn't well...). I also twisted his arm (despite being not well, such is my influence and power...) into choosing the (excellent...) picture for stimulating the creative instincts of the participants. :friends:

So all blame credit goes to him. :P

8 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Which reminds me (lazy beggar that I am...); I've still not posted the Certificate for last month. :$ How very amiss of me; I'll see to that this evening (hopefully...). :)

Put your feet up and enjoy listening to the John McLaughlin Trio, you've earned it :hi:

• Thanks 1

OK, I'm taking the plunge and making first entry to the competition.

Don't Push Me by Nail Soup

(Lyrics are in the hidden contents)

Spoiler

Verse 1

Boy to man we live together  / Put on weight and grow our hair

Get up early with no Breakfast /  All aspects of life are shared

Verse 2

In our dress we have no freedom / Always wear the sumo gear

Women shall not enter / Menstrual blood is what we fear

Verse 3

We drink the power water / Before we start the bout

Only undefeated Sumo’s  / Are allowed to hand it out.

Edited by Nail Soup
added lyrics
  • Like 4

Here's my entry for this month. I've gone down the 'David v Goliath' route where the little guy stands up for himself. It's all recorded as usual with Wavepad and Audacity, drums programmed using Hydrogen and the instruments used include a Yamaha keyboard utilising the Japanese Koto sound effect, a Westfield violin bass, an Epiphone guitar for rhythm and the lead played using my recently built 4 string cigar box guitar with a bit of flange and delay. Once again I had my usual turd-polishing saga with my vocal line (and some may say with the words, too). I really must ask my old singer to warble over the top of one of these instead.

Edited by upside downer
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, upside downer said:

.......I really must ask my old singer to warble over the top of one of these instead.

A tactic I have used in the past , and no doubt, a far more tuneful  presentation (in my case at least ) however , trying to offer direction and an explanation of what I was hoping for, is often a bit frustrating , not as a problem, just that they will naturally offer an interpretation that might not sit quite right.

As it would be purely for fun and as an input , I feel a bit like a Tw4t critiquing it :D

13 minutes ago, lurksalot said:

A tactic I have used in the past , and no doubt, a far more tuneful  presentation (in my case at least ) however , trying to offer direction and an explanation of what I was hoping for, is often a bit frustrating , not as a problem, just that they will naturally offer an interpretation that might not sit quite right.

As it would be purely for fun and as an input , I feel a bit like a Tw4t critiquing it :D

Fair point. You've convinced me to stick with my farting orangutan of a voice 😄

Especially for Doug I've done some weirdybeardyjazzyoddness...

It's a celebration of the cheap Action Man substitute (Little Big Man) I got as a kid. It came with a parachute - song is in 3 parts as that's how many bit LBM broke into when I tested his 'chute!

https://soundcloud.com/leonard-smalls/little-big-man

(edited to add, strangely, it won't embed so link instead...)

Edited by lurksalot
  • Like 3

Here is my entry.   I struggled a bit with this and this is the fourth song I started so in the end it was a bit rushed.  It's about my dad who died last year.  He had a hard life early on and the picture just made me think of overcoming seemingly impossible challenges.  I hope it's not too sentimental.

Recorded in Cubase, mostly using Xpand with a bit of MT Power Drums and some very, very dodgy vocals.  

• Like 4

It's another TV show theme.

My Seven Sumo Dads  (Japanese TV series)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My Seven Sumo Dads 私の父は7人の力士の一人です is a Japanese TV series of 20 x 1 hour episodes first broadcast on Japanese national television in 2017. Produced by Hokkaido Broadcast System the series attracted an average 2.2 rating during its run. In 2020 the international broadcast rights were sold to Del Var Omniglobal Media which is in negotiation with streaming service Netflix for an intended UK air date of June 2021.

Synopsis

After eight year-old Naiki's single-parent mother disappears he reads her old diary in which he discovers that she was dating seven different sumo wrestlers (Rikishi) at the time of his conception. 

On a quest to find his absent father little Naiki sets off for Tokyo where he meets anti-social schoolgirl martial artist Ichika who becomes his protector along with a host of other heart-warming characters including absent-minded Mrs Nakatomi and her talking cat Hime, a mysterious elderly man known only as 'The Sensei', the love-struck teen couple Dizzy and Bitsy, and the feuding Sumo promoters Aoi and Eiji.

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 3

I'd hoped to get one in too, but I'm up to the neck in studio stuff at the moment. We're down to guitar solos and vocal harmonies, neither of which are my strong points. I started and abandoned twice due to lack of focus... Hopefully this month will be easier 

• Like 1