Why become a member? ×

Which field recorder for loud jam sessions?

ReeV0

Hi all,

Which would be better for recording loud live band practices through the built-in mics?

I've already got a H4n (non-pro) and it's not very good. It's either distorted, or if I have the limiter turned on, pretty quiet...

I was thinking about maybe upgrading to the H4n Pro, or the Tascam DR-40X. Has anyone had any experience with these?

Cheers

Our 2nd guitar/keys has just bought a Zoom H1/MB. It has several sensitivity settings, and the first sessions we did with it, the results were very low. This didn't affect the quality of the sound at all; there's no need these days to record at 0db. Once normalised, our sessions sounded fine; certainly no distortion from the Zoom. Inexpensive and easy to use; worth a look..?

1 hour ago, jrixn1 said:

You're setting the recording level manually, yes, not using an automatic setting?

Indeed - on the side, there should be a rec level. Press the -ve button and monitor the meters whilst you are playing and keep turning it down til it doesn't clip.