Why become a member? ×

Video meeting platforms/apps

Bass Culture

One for the hive mind this - are there any video meeting platforms that permit simultaneous audio from the different inputters to enable live, remote jamming?  I've used Zoom and Teams through work, neither of which I think have this function (Zoom definitely doesn't and I've usually zoned out of the work teams meetings so haven't established whether it does or not).  I've seen what look like multi-participant performance videos with everyone in different locations but I guess they could be recordings where the additional players 'bounce' onto the original video, could they?   Thanks all.

(Mods - if there's a more appropriate forum for this please move as needed.)

Edited by Bass Culture

56 minutes ago, pete.young said:

Jamkazam does sync audio and video but not very well IMHO. It's been having some problems since they went to a paid version.  I've had better results using Jamulus for audio, and accepting that Jitsi/Zoom is going to lag behind, or forgetting about video altogether.

I've found JamKazam to be better since it went to the subscription based service.

1 minute ago, SpondonBassed said:

Is a video feed not needed for Jamulus and Jamkazam?  That's the deal breaker for me.  If only audio is required I'd be happier about investing in it.

Don't know about Jamulus, but you can have a video feed for JamKazam if you want it, but it contributes to latency, so we don't use it.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Don't know about Jamulus, but you can have a video feed for JamKazam if you want it, but it contributes to latency, so we don't use it.

I am not wanting anything to do with cameras.  The bit I am not sure about is jamming purely by ear as doing it for real I look at the guitarist quite a bit.  I suppose you get used to it.

10 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

I am not wanting anything to do with cameras.  The bit I am not sure about is jamming purely by ear as doing it for real I look at the guitarist quite a bit.  I suppose you get used to it.

Sounds like both are suitable for you. As far as I know, you have authorise your camera to switch on during a session, so it can't be forced on by anyone else if that's your worry.

• Thanks 1

Just now, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Sounds like both are suitable for you. As far as I know, you have authorise your camera to switch on during a session, so it can't be forced on by anyone else if that's your worry.

There wont be a camera present so it's not really a worry.  Is 10Mbps still required for just audio?  I have a quarter of that.

22 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Print this life-size; pin it to the door..?

kyZKlY7.jpg

• Haha 1

I’ve been trying Jamkazam and it works fairly well considering I’ve jammed with musicians in the same session but in different countries!!

The aim is to get my local music buddies on it to try remote practice etc 

I think you need a decent internet speed and defo a wired Ethernet connection 

The quality of the sound through headphones is very good 

Jamulus is free so the only thing you have to invest in it is your time. Likewise with the demo version of Jamkazam.

The minimum requirement page for Jamulus says 1Mb upload and download. Jamkazam is going to depend on the number of people in the session, since it's point-to-point connected , whereas jamulus is hub and spoke to a central server.

Latency is much more significant than upload/download speed hence BassAdder27's comment about a wired connection straight to the router. Both systems will give you the ping time and round trip time so you can fairly easily establish whether or not you're in the ball park. There are some tuning tweaks you can try to improve latency, particular with Jamkazam.

I'm finding ping roundtrip times of 6 - 10 ms for London, < 20 for most of Europe, which are usable. Much more than that and it gets untenable, so connecting to servers in the US at 30 - 60 ms is not going to work too well.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pete.young said:

Jamulus is free so the only thing you have to invest in it is your time.

That's my point.

As a live in carer who is on call 24 hours a day, my time is precious.  I don't get paid for what I do either.  Free applications invariable are the "lite" (sic) version with other little strings and belt loops attached.

It's all I can do to get an hour here and there to practice.  I take your point but you have to understand how condescending your comment looked at this end, intended or not.  It seems to be the way with folk these days.

2 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

That's my point.

As a live in carer who is on call 24 hours a day, my time is precious.  I don't get paid for what I do either.  Free applications invariable are the "lite" (sic) version with other little strings and belt loops attached.

It's all I can do to get an hour here and there to practice.  I take your point but you have to understand how condescending your comment looked at this end, intended or not.  It seems to be the way with folk these days.

If you find yourself wanting to give JamKazam a try, just message me and I’ll get myself on line whenever you have a spare moment mate.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

If you find yourself wanting to give JamKazam a try, just message me and I’ll get myself on line whenever you have a spare moment mate.

Much appreciated.  Very helpful.  Thanks.

I particularly like that it is P2P.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Like 1

Biggest problem I had at the start when using Jamkazam was what did my bass and voice chat sound like in volume and loudness.

first attempt someone said my bass was only on the left side and not left and right and also level was low even though it appeared not to be according to the level meters 

Chat using PC microphone was not good very distorted so I changed to using input one on my AI to a Mike input and channel two for my bass straight in

Popped into an open session asked if everyone could hear me ok which now they could 

Found myself playing along with various musicians spread from USA to Scandinavia and it worked fairly well

Once you learn the etiquette for joining sessions it works well enough 👍

Agreeing on what to play of course is the thing and having chord charts etc helps to jam along ( I used Ultimate Guitar Tabs on my phone )

Its still not the same feel as a practice room but it’s better than jam tracks and you get to meet in a virtual sense some great folk ... they could even be famous musicians having a go !!! 

5 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I doubt my broadband is up to it.

For when I have access to decent connection, what's the best setup?

I was thinking a vocal mike straight into the PC for talking and my bass through a Scarlett for minimum latency at my end?

I stick both through my Scarlett.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

That's my point.

It wasn't intended. I'm sorry if that's how it came across. If you dont get what you want out of Jamkazam with Warren, please get in touch and I'll happily show you what I know about Jamkazam. It's not a lite version: it's open source, there is no paid-for version and there are no strings attached.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1