Why become a member? ×

Orange OBC410 speaker change

danpb

I have an Orange OBC410 which weighs in at around 45kg according to online searches. I love the cab but my back doesn't appreciate the lifting, it has to be kept upstairs at home. Would swapping out the speakers for neo speakers be worth while in reducing weight? I understand the cab is built from pretty heavy duty ply which contributes to the weight but the speakers alone are around 12kg.

Hi Dan, what do you like, the look or the sound? Changing speakers can be fraught. First of all the cab is or should be designed to work with specific speakers, changing for other speakers will probably change the bass response, if there is a severe mis match it will reduce the power handling from the listed power handling, in the worst case down to a few tens of watts and people have lost speakers because of this. I don't want to over- exaggerate though most speakers are similar but is is best to check than to find out the hard way.

Secondly even if you get a match the frequency responses may be very different so the bass tone will change, it could be better or it could be worse but you won't know until after you've shelled out.

Finally it's unlikely you'll save much weight the neo speakers will weigh a couple of kilos give or take so you'd be doing well to save more than 4-5kg

that's a lot of wood you have there :)

Changing speakers won't make much of difference to the weight. The real weight is in the wood. 

Also, assuming the cabinet currently features four 16 ohm 10 inch speakers wired in parallel (to give an 8 ohm cabinet), I would guess that you might have trouble finding four 16 ohm neo speakers that would also deliver similar frequency responses to the speakers you are removing. Most drivers on the market for the public to buy are 8 ohm speakers. Even if you can some speakers that will do the job it will probably cost you upwards of £300 or more. For me, that is too much outlay relative to the benefits.

I would just sell the cabinet and use the money from the sale and the money that you would have spent on buying new speakers on a a lightweight 4x10, or two lightweight 2x10s. 

This is what you have in there currently:

https://www.eminence.com/speakers/speaker-detail/?model=Beta_10A

They weigh 3kg each. These are compatible neo replacements:

https://www.eminence.com/speakers/speaker-detail/?model=Basslite_S2010

They weigh 1.6kg each, for a sum total weight savings of 5.6kg. IMO it's not worth the cost or bother to replace them. However, the Beta 10 is an entry level driver. The all important xmax is only 3mm, for a total displacement of 408 cc for all four drivers. There are 2x10s with more displacement, so they'll go louder than your 4x10, that are not much more than a quarter the weight of your OBC. IMO you should go cab shopping. 

• Like 1