Why become a member? ×

This Build Diary is a bit different this time. A little introductory text and an image and then a link to a video.

It's a bass that I made in the workshop whilst submerging myself in the music of Maceo Parker and his band(s).

So I call this bass "Maceo" by way of a tribute. The bass players on Maceo's discography are mostly Jerome Preston and Rodney "Skeet" Curtis. Those guys really put the "F" in Funk!

If I have done this right, the link below will take you to the video post on FB. I don't think Basschat supports video itself?

I hope you enjoy it together with some background music courtesy of Max Manning on guitar and myself on Bass and violins arrangement, with Damon Clarridge on drums. Our buddy Craig Blencowe gets a credit for lyrics - but we're keeping the vocals up our sleeves for later!

IMG_5723.jpeg

Edited by Bassworks
  • Like 10

16 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

Yes.  Yes it does.

Some of us dislike FB intensely.

I can't see Basschat buying datacentre space to host video files though and everyone has their own like/dislike for different social media platforms. Any universally acceptable solutions gratefully received.

Edited by Bassworks

7 hours ago, Bassworks said:

I can't see Basschat buying datacentre space to host video files

My understanding is that there is 500mb of space that comes with every member's account for most forms of media.

If FB suits you that's fine.  Maybe you could put some stills up here from the video?

9 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

My understanding is that there is 500mb of space that comes with every member's account for most forms of media

I've always wondered about that, what happens when you use all your space can you still post pics? Because I've got 4.15mb left? 

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Jimothey said:

I've always wondered about that, what happens when you use all your space can you still post pics? Because I've got 4.15mb left? 

I don't know about this version of the site software.

With the last one, we got something like 30mb and when it was full you could not post any more.  You could pull up a page of all of your images stored on BC.  From there you could edit.  I haven't seen anything like that here.

When you looked back at those posts, there were now lots of messy looking text placeholders instead of photos.  Photobucket users suffered with this when they went fully commercial.  A vast number of good posts were defaced as a result.  That we had to suffer this in the course of an upgrade to BC as well was a bit of a bummer seeing as it was "our" site.

It was not much of an issue then because the new site had 500mb of image storage.  Of course people can take higher resolution photos with every advance in tech and the files can be large.

I was wary of this happening from the start so I routinely size my images to get the smallest file possible.  Even so, I have used half of my storage by now.  I will be asking for more at some point.  If I can't get it I might consider unsubscribing rather than deface my own posts again.

It's a good question.

@ped or @charic might be able to answer it.  Maybe it's worth asking in the Site Issues topic.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jimothey said:

Nope, you can't post new pics. You have to go into your profile and start deleting images to get space back. The image deletion process isn't terribly user friendly, you can't select a specific time range or a single thread for example. 

Edited by Si600
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

I've just found this bass on your website... it looks amazing ...
dbb635_1a5cdae5a46b4004a6f5f17158f72c1e~ 

what do all the knobs do? there's like extra wood ones beneath the bridge? 

... extra wooden ones under the bridge are for the piezo pickups in the bridge I think I read somewhere.

• Like 1

On 18/02/2021 at 23:45, LukeFRC said:

I've just found this bass on your website... it looks amazing ...
dbb635_1a5cdae5a46b4004a6f5f17158f72c1e~ 

what do all the knobs do? there's like extra wood ones beneath the bridge? 

I got to have a quick play on this the other day. It's awesome, so much GAS for it.