This Build Diary is a bit different this time. A little introductory text and an image and then a link to a video.

It's a bass that I made in the workshop whilst submerging myself in the music of Maceo Parker and his band(s).

So I call this bass "Maceo" by way of a tribute. The bass players on Maceo's discography are mostly Jerome Preston and Rodney "Skeet" Curtis. Those guys really put the "F" in Funk!

If I have done this right, the link below will take you to the video post on FB. I don't think Basschat supports video itself?

I hope you enjoy it together with some background music courtesy of Max Manning on guitar and myself on Bass and violins arrangement, with Damon Clarridge on drums. Our buddy Craig Blencowe gets a credit for lyrics - but we're keeping the vocals up our sleeves for later!

IMG_5723.jpeg

Edited by Bassworks
  • Like 10

2 hours ago, Bassworks said:

If I have done this right, the link below will take you to the video post on FB. I don't think Basschat supports video itself?

Yes.  Yes it does.

Some of us dislike FB intensely.

16 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

Yes.  Yes it does.

Some of us dislike FB intensely.

I can't see Basschat buying datacentre space to host video files though and everyone has their own like/dislike for different social media platforms. Any universally acceptable solutions gratefully received.

Edited by Bassworks

7 hours ago, Bassworks said:

I can't see Basschat buying datacentre space to host video files

My understanding is that there is 500mb of space that comes with every member's account for most forms of media.

If FB suits you that's fine.  Maybe you could put some stills up here from the video?

9 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

My understanding is that there is 500mb of space that comes with every member's account for most forms of media

I've always wondered about that, what happens when you use all your space can you still post pics? Because I've got 4.15mb left? 

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Jimothey said:

I've always wondered about that, what happens when you use all your space can you still post pics? Because I've got 4.15mb left? 

I don't know about this version of the site software.

With the last one, we got something like 30mb and when it was full you could not post any more.  You could pull up a page of all of your images stored on BC.  From there you could edit.  I haven't seen anything like that here.

When you looked back at those posts, there were now lots of messy looking text placeholders instead of photos.  Photobucket users suffered with this when they went fully commercial.  A vast number of good posts were defaced as a result.  That we had to suffer this in the course of an upgrade to BC as well was a bit of a bummer seeing as it was "our" site.

It was not much of an issue then because the new site had 500mb of image storage.  Of course people can take higher resolution photos with every advance in tech and the files can be large.

I was wary of this happening from the start so I routinely size my images to get the smallest file possible.  Even so, I have used half of my storage by now.  I will be asking for more at some point.  If I can't get it I might consider unsubscribing rather than deface my own posts again.

It's a good question.

@ped or @charic might be able to answer it.  Maybe it's worth asking in the Site Issues topic.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jimothey said:

Nope, you can't post new pics. You have to go into your profile and start deleting images to get space back. The image deletion process isn't terribly user friendly, you can't select a specific time range or a single thread for example. 

Edited by Si600
  • Thanks 1

You can manage your attachments here

https://www.basschat.co.uk/attachments/

It’s advisable to use something like imgur or img but to host ‘random’ pictures

Video - upload to YouTube and paste the link here which will embed the video 

Cheers

• Thanks 1

Thanks I've now started screenshotting my pics as it take the file size down to 200kb instead of 2mb I'll just delete some of my old pics...... 👍🏻 

On 31/01/2021 at 14:40, Bassworks said:

IMG_5723.jpeg

Edited January 31 by Bassworks

I've just found this bass on your website... it looks amazing ...
dbb635_1a5cdae5a46b4004a6f5f17158f72c1e~ 

what do all the knobs do? there's like extra wood ones beneath the bridge? 

@LukeFRC 

The back wooden one probably makes the grain stand out more or less (boost your wood, as it were), the front one makes the Pearl blocks stand out more and, when on full, eclipse the Sun

Edited by Geek99
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

... extra wooden ones under the bridge are for the piezo pickups in the bridge I think I read somewhere.

• Like 1

On 18/02/2021 at 23:45, LukeFRC said:

I got to have a quick play on this the other day. It's awesome, so much GAS for it. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rollo
      Hey Folks !
      For sale or for trade a Jerzy Drozd Obsession Excellency 5 strings in perfect condition.
      Bought by Doctorbass.net with customs specs and woods.
      This bass has a perfect set up with low action and terrific various tones. There is a lot of growl and attack, precise like a Tobias and growly like an FBass.
      Here are the specifications :
      Body : Diagon wood wings (a type of mahogany, but lightweight), and a flamed maple tone block.
      Very thick AAA black poplar burl top.
      Neck : 3 pieces of quartersawn maple, with two ebony veneers. Bolt-on with 7 screws, assymetrical D shape.
      Fingerboard : Very thick (8-9mm) fingerboard, birdseye maple.
      Scale : 35"
      Frets : 24 silver/nickel frets in perfect condition
      Headstock : 3 + 2 with AAA black poplar burl veneer, Jerzy Drozd logo
      Nut : Ebony
      Pickups : Neodymium Jerzy Drozd JeDXS5 split-coils pickups, with wooden covers
      Preamp : Aguilar OBP-3 preamp, 9v
      Controls : Volume/Blend/Passive Tone/Bass/Mids/Treble + switch for mids frequencies 400 and 800 Hz, and one switch for active/passive mode
      Tuners : Gotoh GB707
      Bridge : Jerzy Drozd brass two pieces
      Strings spacing at bridge : 18.5mm (adjustable) 
      Strings spacing at nut : 8.5mm
      Knobs : Jerzy Drozd wooden knobs
      Hardware : Gold
      Trussrod : One bi-directionnal trussrod, perfectly adjustable
      Land of craftsmanship : Handmade in Spain
      Weight : 3.4kg
      Delivered in Jerzy Drozd softcase

This bass play like a dream, as usual for a Jerzy Drozd. It's very lightweight so it's not exhausting at all to play with.
      A little sound clip with old nickel strings :
      https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gNVBqxuSFXwP2ZG98wJlKoJKm8MDPH7u/view
      I have a lot of soundclips with new steel strings if you want to hear more.
      Street price starts at 5000€ according to the Jerzy Drozd's website :
      https://www.jerzydrozdbasses.com/obsession-excellency
      Don't hesitate if you want more soundclips or pics.
      For trades I am quite opened, I am interested in fretted or fretless basses, from 4 to 6 strings.
      Rather looking for a Leduc, MTD, Tobias, Ken Smith, or whatever...
      Waiting for your proposals!!

• By Hellzero
      Due to the Covid-19 situation and severe back problems (66% officially disabled because of it) plus right shoulder injury (non-operable capsulitis from which, after more than 3 years, I will never fully recover), I'm selling all my basses over 4 kilos and also the ones I'm not really using. I've also considerably lowered the price for a quick sale.

WOOD & TRONICS Zoid 5 (to me their best design), naturally reliced : some pay huge amounts for this by 7ender, here it's free ! 

NO TRADES !
      NON NEGOTIABLE PRICE !

Asking price including shipping fully insured with tracking number to your place in these European countries (ask for other countries) : Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France (excluding French overseas departments and territories), Germany, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Monaco, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and United Kingdom : £1599 GBP !!! A new one would cost you at least twice the asking price if you order it today with the same specifications and a few months to get it.

Shipping to United Kingdom is, of course, possible, but with an extra customs fee (VAT + other taxes + courier fee), because U.K. is now outside EEC.

In fully working condition, with some 13 years of use, but no abuse.

Here are the specifications :
      Body : swamp ash wings with quilted maple top (and magnetic electronics lid)
      Neck : 3 pieces flamed maple through neck
      Fingerboard : rosewood with brass dots on the side and abalone on the fretboard
      Frets : 24 mandolin frets in perfect condition
      Headstock : 3 + 2 with matched quilted maple top
      Pickups : Nordstrand DC 5 with switch (chrome) working for the both pickups together in parallel / single coil / series (so you have no strange sounds when blending them)
      Preamp : Aguilar OBP-3
      Controls : volume, balance, bass, mid with one switch (chrome) for the 400 / 800 Hz frequency, treble
      Tuners : Hipshot Licensed
      Bridge : original two parts Wood & Tronics (ETS)
      Strings spacing at bridge : 19 mm
      Nut : brass
      Strings spacing at nut : 10 mm
      Knobs : original metal
      Scale : 34 inches
      Hardware colour : gold except the switches and the output jack, which are chrome
      Truss rod : one (real Fodera)
      Finish : light gloss
      Land of craftsmanship : Italy
      Serial number : unknown
      Year : 2007
      Weight : 3.905 kilos
      Action : from 1.5 mm under the G string to 2 mm under the B string at 12th fret (can go lower, but was perfect for me)

Will come with an unbranded hard case.

Non-smoking environment as usual.

The bass has been fully set up professionally. It has been fitted with a new battery and a (now used) set of Fodera Nickel strings (45 - 65 - 85 -105 - 135).

Early hollowed model à la Fodera, totally hand made (look at the lid), with that sweet and detailed sound typical from that period. Lots of wear and a few dings for this player, but don't be afraid, everything is working fine without any electronics scratches (except the usual Aguilar crack when switching the mids) and no hidden issues... The price asked reflects that condition.

Link to the old Wood & Tronics page : ZOID Custom Variations Wood & Tronics (wtbasses.net)

Here a video by Enrico PASINI himself to give you an idea of how a Zoid 5 can sound :

And another one, made by Arnaud MORIN aka @tournesol74 (33 inches scale, ebony fretboard and different pickups, but the "sound" of the Zoid 5 is there) :

What you see is what you get !

Look at the photos taken at different angles to see the real condition, the wear and dents. Absolutely no real damage, only wear of time and playing !

All the 36 photos are here : https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1_xP_ULUN5NmnkamMIseIWb2Gd53RhFDX?usp=sharing

Don't hesitate to ask for more.

• By BassTool
      WITHDRAWN...

• By Hellzero
      Due to the Covid-19 situation and severe back problems (66% officially disabled because of it) plus right shoulder injury (non-operable capsulitis from which, after more than 3 years, I will never fully recover), I'm selling all my basses over 4 kilos and also the ones I'm not really using. I've also considerably lowered the price for a quick sale.

Superb looking, playing and sounding WARRIOR Dran Michael 4 (DM4) Custom Neck Through Signature with loads of options like wider strings spacing, inlays and higher grade woods.

NO TRADES !
      NON NEGOTIABLE PRICE !

Asking price including shipping fully insured with tracking number to your place in these European countries (ask for other countries) : Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France (excluding French overseas departments and territories), Germany, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Monaco, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and United Kingdom : £2299 GBP !!! Todays price for a similar bass with all the options : at least $8000 USD or around £6000 GBP !

Shipping to United Kingdom is, of course, possible, but with an extra huge customs fee (VAT + other taxes + courier fee), because U.K. is now outside EEC.

In fully working condition.

Here are the specifications :
      Body : 2 wings of swamp ash (DM selected high grade woods)
      Top : holographic highly flamed maple (DM selected high grade woods)
      Neck : 3 pieces through neck with holographic highly flamed maple (DM selected high grade woods)
      Fingerboard : holographic birdseye maple (DM selected high quality woods) with mother of pearl birds inlays, mother of pearl sword inlay and mother of pearl "2005" inlay on the side (black side dots seem to have been added afterwards as there are traces of mother of pearl dots or it's been chosen by the original owner. It is also signed at the back of the headstock by ... Marcus MILLER)
      Frets : 24 in stainless steel
      Headstock : 2 + 2 with flamed maple top and mother of pearl inlays
      Pickups :  2 Warrior/Bartolini humbuckers (Jazz in bridge position and Fatboy in neck position)
      Preamp : Warrior/Bartolini NTMB-918F 3 bands EQ (18 Volts)
      Controls : volume, blend, mids (active/passive switch), stacked treble and bass plus 3 positions switch for the mids frequency (Neutrik locking jack)
      Tuners : Warrior/Gotoh
      Bridge : brass Warrior/Hipshot A Style
      Strings spacing at bridge : 22 mm (adjustable)
      Nut : bone
      Strings spacing at nut : 12 mm
      Knobs : original metal with mother of pearl inlays dome
      Scale : 34 inches
      Hardware colour : gold and you'll get the Dunlop Straplok® flush mount 24 KT gold that you can see in the case pocket
      Truss rod : one fully working
      Finish : high gloss trans orange-stain (see hand writing in the neck pickup cavity) and hand rubbed “Anointed Oil” for the neck
      Land of craftsmanship : USA
      Serial number : 04 852
      Year : 2005
      Weight : 3.785 kilos
      Action : from 1.5 mm under the G string to 2 mm under the E string at 12th fret (can go lower, but was perfect for me)

Will come with the original unbranded fake crocodile skin hard case.

Non-smoking environment as usual.

The bass has been fully set up professionally. It has been fitted with two new batteries and a (now used) set of D'Addario Nickel EXL165 strings (45 - 65 - 85 -105).

A bass in the league of Fodera and the likes. A true high end bass.

Link to the old Warrior page : Dran Michael Warrior Bass - Hand Crafted Basses - Custom Bass Guitar - Boutique Bass

What you see is what you get !

Look at the photos taken at different angles and under different lights to try to capture the real colour to see the real condition, which show only some little wear with a very few dings, crazy slapper scratches and other light scratches (no rear heavy marks or scratches), the most obvious mark being under the control cavity where the bass is left on a stand. The pickups are marked too, particularly the neck pickup under the E string as they were too close to the strings...

All the 46 photos are here : https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-efgenTb8UL6FvPLirgy9xZnCUKtiw0K?usp=sharing

Don't hesitate to ask for more
    • By BimmerNL
      For Sale (First Owner)
      a Fodera Flamed Redwood Elite 6 string bass guitar (2014) with Imperial body shape. Dual Seymour Duncan pickups with matching Flamed Redwood covers.
      For more info about the technical specs look at Fodera:
      https://fodera.smugmug.com/Newborn-Gallery-Vol-III/Newborn-855/

The bass is technically in perfect condition has only on the heel of the neck some lacquer damage due to a small accident. (Only Cosmetically)  See photo.
      Comes with original hard shell case, tools and candy.

Price 7500 GBP or 8500 Euro + shipment from the Netherlands