Why become a member? ×

V A T added on goods from Eu

J66Bass

Should basschat request GOODS FROM EU ON SALE SHOULD BE as THORMAN so PRICE FOR UK ONLY VAT ADDED ON ARRIVAL PLUS FREE or not free shipping! ! Thanks , hope you are understanding me , on Friday LBC RADIO WAS ON A mission to clarify this topic 

I agree it's a confusing time buying from the EU here in the UK, but, it's just as confusing for a seller in the EU selling to the UK. 

If I were an EU seller I might be inclined to think, 'you chose this, you can work it out.' 

We (the UK) have made a very difficult situation for everyone but as usual we want everyone to make it easy for us. 

Unless I'm missing the meaning of the OP. 

🙂

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, FDC484950 said:

Setting any politics aside, it is a shame to lose access to all those fantastic used basses for sale in the rest of Europe that are now unrealistic with 20% VAT added - and vice versa :(

Yeah I have had a few people asking me to reduce the bass cost by 20% for them to buy, its simply not worth it and I've kept them instead. Trading into the EU is going to be very difficult indeed. Its actually better value buying basses from the US atm. Better value for money anyway and much more choice.

I think we just need time to get used to the new system. I'm not certain because I haven't had the need to buy anything yet, but isn't it below £135 the seller lists item 'including VAT' which they collect, over £135 they list it as 'plus VAT' which the courier will collect and charge a fee for. 

Aren't all VAT applicable items over the threshold sold as 'plus VAT'? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, J66Bass said:

My friend in France bought a brand new status from Status shop he didn’t have to pay VAT IN FRANCE because it was made in uk and already tax in uk 

I don't think that it's what really happened. In fact as he bought through a U.K. VAT registered society (shop if you prefer), it was sold without the U.K. VAT and he just paid the French VAT, which means no difference for him.

• Like 3

VAT is added no matter the price. It's not a new tax. Previously the displayed price included VAT but now it doesn't..  If the net value is above £135 then it's handled by the couriers, which means that it also included handling costs. If equal or below then it's handled by the retailer and there is nothing extra to pay

I think it's safest to choose items below or equal to £135 because, in theory, the couriers could charge whatever they like for the handling costs, and you never know beforehand at the time of purchase  how much you're going to have to pay.

Edited by TheLowDown

3 hours ago, TheLowDown said:

VAT is added no matter the price. It's not a new tax. Previously the displayed price included VAT but now it doesn't..  If the net value is above £135 then it's handled by the couriers, which means that it also included handling costs. If equal or below then it's handled by the retailer and there is nothing extra to pay

I think it's safest to choose items below or equal to £135 because, in theory, the couriers could charge whatever they like for the handling costs, and you never know beforehand at the time of purchase  how much you're going to have to pay.

I think the point of the OP’s thread was to indicate that used sales from EU to UK and vice versa will now attract VAT, when this wasn’t the case previously, and that BC should indicate this on ads. I think this has been discussed already on a number (ever-growing) threads on Thomann, Br***t and new/used sales from 2021-on.

Edited by FDC484950
Typo

Urm, urm, why not be proactive and simply put a note in your advert when you're selling something saying you're outiside U.K. or simply check if this item you must have is in the U.K. or elsewhere. If it's elsewhere, you'll have to pay the VAT, the incoming taxes and the adminstrative fee.

There is no need for such a caution, just a bit of common sense.

That said, a lot of private people are just not selling anymore to the U.K.

Used products attracting VAT at all is wrong IMO, it's not like tax, of some description, hasn't been paid once already, never mind that private individuals can't (for the majority) then claim it back. 

I'm not making a point, just using BC as bit of 'B word' bollix up, catharsis.

• Like 1

The VAT has been paid outside the U.K., at least once, but not in the U.K., so HMRC needs to get it back, even if in this particular case there is absolutely no added value, but that's the way it works, hélas.

Edited by Hellzero