Why become a member? ×

Monthly Composition Challenge Voting Criteria

Nicko

It's been interesting to see a few comments recently on what constitutes an entry, and particularly those by @lurksalot on the way he assesses entries.

I was wondering what the BC collective uses to assess the entries, specifically:

- Lyrical content

- Production

- General composition

- Demonstration of sound musical theory

- A clear link between the photo and the composition

- Musical style

Personally I'd quite like to see more critique of compositions I've entered. Constructive criticism is always welcome.  

Edited by Nicko
typo

I never really go too deep into voting , I generally like something or I don’t , though I do listen more to the entries than I might of a random composition of a similar style.

I like to hear lyrics , but not essential , production similar it doesn’t have to be professional quality , but it is easier to listen to if well produced .

style again is not a tick box for me , if it is fun or clever or just makes me tap my feet or nod my head , they all count 

If anyone puts an entry in or composed a tune , then the picture will probably have inspired it , so I take it as read , though often, noises or lyrics tie it in further.

critique would often be good , but another layer of involvement  that might be a push with most,

@Dad3353 did do a review of entries at one point that were superb , but probably took a fair bit of time and effort , it was way more than I’d be able to do!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lurksalot said:

@Dad3353 did do a review of entries at one point that were superb , but probably took a fair bit of time and effort , it was way more than I’d be able to do!

I did indeed, and very pleasurable it was, too. Health and time constraints put a stop to it. I did have the intention of picking it up again, but I'm rather worn out, I'm afraid, and if I can't do the stuff justice, I'd rather desist. :$

19 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

I did indeed, and very pleasurable it was, too. Health and time constraints put a stop to it. I did have the intention of picking it up again, but I'm rather worn out, I'm afraid, and if I can't do the stuff justice, I'd rather desist. :$

There’s no issue with you not doing them of course Douglas , just a note that it was brilliant when you did 👍

• Thanks 1

I don't spend too much brain time on it, either I like it or I don't. I tend to listen to the compositions as people post them - often with a little snippet of their thought process which I like - rather than wait for the voting thread to appear. Usually, I know what I'm going to vote for before the thread comes around and usually just have a final listen to make sure.

Regarding assessing, well, it either works as a piece of music or it doesn't, I never feel the need to analyse beyond that. It's a bit of fun. It's great that so many different approaches to composition can spring from people's reaction to the same image. It's a great format which always yields interesting and diverse results.

As for critical commentary, I dunno, it doesn't feel appropriate to do so as a contributor when I've just rambled down my own very definite path for the image.

• Like 2

I don't really critique... It's music, whether I like it or not often has little to do with how 'good' it is.

I suppose the criteria I use is, can I see a connection to the image, and which do I like better than the rest.

3 hours ago, NickD said:

I don't really critique... It's music, whether I like it or not often has little to do with how 'good' it is.

I suppose the criteria I use is, can I see a connection to the image, and which do I like better than the rest.

My question on the critique was really because as contributors I guess we only put up stuff we think is good. When you've spent so much time working on it we're so often blinkered as to whether it really is pants.  

In terms of voting my criteria is similar to yours and I often fail to get the connection that the contributor has made.  Again. that might be that I'm so wrapped up in my own contribution that its all I can see.

• Like 1

I'll usually give each tune two or three listens. I'm not specifically listening out for the production values (some of them are stunningly produced), it's simply down to whether I like it or not. Lyrics are not essential but sometimes the image screams out for a story to be told. I really like the diversity of approaches taken and because our musical tastes are subjective sometimes you're going to hear something right up your street and other times they'll be a tune that leaves you with a feeling of indifference. We can all agree though that it's a great way to have fun doing something we love.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Nicko said:

I guess we only put up stuff we think is good.

Not necessarily :biggrin: I keep all my good stuff on a 256 bit encrypted drive that's only every connected to computer via a packet level firewall USB filter, and then only if the computer is offline, brand new and with newly installed one-use software on it. Obviously no mobiles are allowed in the room, which is off-grid and lined with copper mesh.

Wouldn't want Doug nicking it :crazy::hi::friends::laugh1:

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Not necessarily :biggrin: I keep all my good stuff on a 256 bit encrypted drive that's only every connected to computer via a packet level firewall USB filter, and then only if the computer is offline, brand new and with newly installed one-use software on it. Obviously no mobiles are allowed in the room, which is off-grid and lined with copper mesh.

You've got Good Stuff..? Who knew..? :laugh1:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Funnily enough I worked on one job that was run like that.  I was sat in a room with a local network, no phones allowed and only allowed to talk about the project in the room.  Nothing I was doing was particularly cutting edge either.

When I finished my 8 week contract they were surprised that I didn't want to carry on and do more.