Why become a member? ×

Famous songs that were written on a bass guitar?

TJ1

10 hours ago, TJ1 said:

If anyone could provide an info/list of these I would be grateful.

I am assuming back in the early-mid 60's, an 18 year old Macca used principally his bass to write material - but I could be wrong.

As Macca also played guitar and piano I would have thought it unlikely he principally used bass for writing, personally. 

Tbh, I’ve never really understood why people refer to songs as being written on a particular instrument (although in some instances that is obviously the case). When I’m writing a song it’s mostly done in my head, vocals, parts and all, and then translated onto the appropriate instruments. 

I second the Iron Maiden thing though. 

Edited by 4000

Just now, Graham said:

Was it Ain't No Doubt by Jimmy Nail that Guy Pratt wrote from a bass lick?

Yeah, he replied to me on Facebook about it - said it stemmed from the American old army drill chants “I don’t know but I’ve been told...”

Now I can’t unhear that - same as when someone told me the first phrase of the “sunshine of your love” guitar solo is lifted from Blue Moon...

• Thanks 1

I think you can tell that some songs are written by starting with a bassline and others aren't.  I can't imagine Love Cats by the Cure, Another One Bites the Dust by Queen, When I come Around by Green Day or Down in a Tubestation by the Jam could have started as a guitar line because the guitar/keys part is really too weak to be a starting point. 

Equally there's some great bass lines that don't suggest they were the starting point - Under the Bridge by RHCP, My Generation by the Who sound to me like they were following the theme.

The only band I'm fairly sure started most songs with a bass line are Joy Division, but the lyrics were written independently.

• Like 2

Yes, there a lot of bass-centric songs written on Bass (or starting with a bassline) but not so many people who use the bass to write songs where the bass is not prominent. 

I get the impression that even bass-playing songwriters like Sting write on 6 string or piano and only pick up a bass when they take the song to the band.

As previously stated, Reg Presley of the Troggs is an example: wrote on bass, even though the band had a bass player and they were not bass-centered songs.

Edited by Nail Soup