Why become a member? ×

Replacing tubes

SteveXFR

I’ve played the swopping tube saga in the past with my old Marshall guitar amps and there are slight differences or some would say huge differences but I didn’t notice it

Pre Amp tubes are easy to swop around with some great brands such as JJ, EHX, Svetlana, Groove Tube etc etc 

Changing worn or faulty tubes is a must but swopping good tubes for bass tone nirvana seldom happens in my opinion unless you get the very expensive tubes but even then I’m not so sure 

As Lozz said Watford valves are great and very helpful 

Edited by BassAdder27

Thanks. I think my tubes are probably several years old and the amp doesn't sound as good as it should, especially when cranked up with lots of gain. 

Im not really chasing a tone but if there's a brand of tube which will give me a nicer, vintage tube gain sound then now is the opertunity to fit them. 

Its only the pre amp that has tubes, the power amp is solid state so I only need to buy two tubes. 

I see an awful lot of perfectly good tubes replaced, sometimes causing more problems than leaving well enough alone. 

For every player who is convinced a tube is "worn out", another player thinks that “bad tube” is the “best tube ever”.

Edited by agedhorse
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, agedhorse said:

I see an awful lot of perfectly good tubes replaced, sometimes causing more problems than leaving well enough alone. 

For every player who is convinced a tube is "worn out", another player things that bad tube is the best tube ever.

Is there a way to test tube condition?