Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Original 300

Davy

Anyone ever gigged with an Ashdown Original 300 amp head?

I'm thinking about buying one and wondered if they are loud enough to cut it on stage with two guitars and a drummer in a rock band.

Probably going to use it with a single 4 ohm cab rated at 500 watts.

I haven’t but I’ve gigged with both the Ashdown RM500 and ABM600 into 8ohm cabs, so only getting approx half power, in a punk band and never even come close to pushing the volume on either. Admittedly my gear was only for stage volumes but unless your band is incredibly loud I think it should be fine.

Yep, I had a Original C112-300 combo for a while that had that head in.  It didn't quite have enough power to cut it in a 3 piece pub band with its internal 8ohm 12 inch speaker.  I added another 8ohm 12 inch cab under it so it was running into 4ohms into 2 speakers, and it was then it was fine for a reasonably sized venue or anywhere with PA support.   They do a 500w version though that might just be worth the extra cash imo.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Davy said:

If I get one I might end up with 2 lightweight ashdown 1x12 cabs so it sounds like that will probably work with a di into the band's PA.

Yep that's effectively what I was running.  I used it in small and large venues and it was good solid little rig. 

• Like 2