Why become a member? ×

SOLD!! 2011 Gibson Thunderbird lightweight £850
£850
South Benfleet

Paul S

I have decided to move this beauty on.  Gibson Thunderbird in tobacco burst, very good condition.  Serial number dates it to 26th January 2011 (Happy Birthday!).  It is extremely lightweight by Thunderbird standards - my luggage scale hovered between 3.6 and 3.7kg, so 8lbs +/- a whisker.  Superslim neck, 37mm at the nut.  String spacing at the bridge is 17.5mm according to my failing eyes, shaky hands and a ruler :) 

When I got it the original 3 point bridge stood as proud as a jetty at low tide.  I replaced it with the Hipshot Supertone and had my usual tech guy make a mahogany shim for it to sit on as fitted flush on the body with the saddles raised high was still not high enough for my agricultural style of playing.  I think he made a pretty damned fine job of it, too.

Overall it is in really great nick.  A small amount of ceiling scrapeage on the tip of the headstock, a dink in the upper side of the lower bout, a teeny dink in the forward upper bout, some buckle rash.  Other than that it gleams with great grain showing through.

Sounds just exactly how you would expect a Thunderbird to sound.  Passive but pretty hot, V/V/T controls.

Comes with the original Gibson USA fitted hard case.  Someone at some point changed the strap buttons to Dunlop lockable jobs - no originals when I bought it.  I will put both halves of these in the case, together with the original bridge.

I am pricing this to sell at £850 collected from SS7.  I will courier this but fully insured this big heavy case will most likely to come out around £40 - I will confirm.  UK mainland only at this stage.

No offers or trades, thank you.

IMG_20210130_104203.jpg

IMG_20210130_104231.jpg

IMG_20210130_104623.jpg

IMG_20210130_104322.jpg

IMG_20210130_104347.jpg

IMG_20210130_104539.jpg

IMG_20210130_104405.jpg

IMG_20210130_104528.jpg

IMG_20210130_104500.jpg

IMG_20210130_104421.jpg

Edited by Paul S
  • Like 9

That's a lovely example Paul, and at a good price too! 

I still miss my Gibson Thunderbird to be honest, and remember it for being so easy to play and fat sounding.. 

Although known as being a great bass for rock, I was amazed at how good mine sounded when I used it for funk & soul stuff too. 

No doubt, this one sounds and plays as good as it looks too! 

GLWTS 👍😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Been looking into the cost of a courier.  The insurance is the thing - booking DHL using Interparcel is £35 for UK mainland to UK mainland but fully insured bumps it to £75.  It is in a hard case and I'll pack that into a box but nevertheless I won't send it under insured.

So, expensive insurance aside, that leaves collection from SS7, delivery within reason for fuel costs or meet half way.  But those last options may have to hang on until restrictions are relaxed a bit as I am not sure it is within the rules.

• Like 1

• MB1 locked this topic