Why become a member? ×

Question about tuning a bass vs 'normal' guitar?

TJ1

Hi

I've got a Snark tuner that has a special bass button. The bass tuner reads at half a step lower than the 'normal' guitar tuning, so A not the bass reads as A# on the six string acoustic.

Could anyone tell me if this is correct?

In my experience it's easier to discern pitch differences at a higher pitches, as you're finding with your guitar. This is why when trying to pick out the bassline of a song you're learning, people will sometimes suggest using a device that plays the song at a higher pitch, the bassline then just pops out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TJ1 said:

Thanks for the replies - maybe it is lack of experience but I am finding much more difficult to detect whether my bass is in/out of tune that my acoustic guitar - which I can usually tell just by ear.

Use the octave harmonic if the open string is too difficult to discern. Lightly touch the string at the octave, and release, whilst plucking. This is very accurate for tuning.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Use the octave harmonic if the open string is too difficult to discern. Lightly touch the string at the octave, and release, whilst plucking. This is very accurate for tuning.

To OP. Sorry if I am teaching you to suck eggs but make sure intonation is spot on first.

Edited by Moldsight

4 minutes ago, Moldsight said:

Sorry if I am teaching you to suck eggs but make sure intonation is spot on first.

I think it meant playing a harmonic at the 12th fret, rather than a fretted note...... so this method is tolerant of poor intonation I would say.

Edited by Nail Soup

6 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

Also, if you tune your G string, the easiest to hear, you can use harmonics for relative tuning from the G for the D, A and E.

EG:  When in tune, the harmonic at the seventh fret on the G string is the same as at the fifth fret on the D string and so on.

This is what I do, and I’ve got tuner pedal, and the two are normally spot on 

On 31/01/2021 at 11:31, Dad3353 said:

The harmonic will always be exact, whatever the intonation, and, in fact, helps check the intonation..! The fretted 12th fret should be the same note as the harmonic. B|

Now that I did not know. Must check to see it with own eyes as I always believed otherwise.

Ty Dad3353 given me another tangent to explore.

Well I never, all the years thinking that intonation was needed before a harmomic check. thank you for enlightening an old fool ;)

** update **

As a fan of the floor/pedal tuners which I seem to recall it is based on and specifically naming 4 and 5 string bass it might be worth a punt?

https://www.boss.info/us/products/tu-02/?utm_campaign=boss_pidd_0131&utm_medium=email&utm_source=activecampaign&utm_content=button2&utm_source=ActiveCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=New+pedalboards%2C+tuner+++wireless+tech&utm_campaign=BOSS+Launch_Jan21+-+US

Damn, looks like March 1st release date.....

Edited by Moldsight
update
  • Thanks 1