Why become a member? ×

I realize you have to play the notes that fits the music you happen to play, but what is the scale that you enjoy the sound and mood/character of the most and loves to noodle, jam in, and eventual to use when composing music, the most?

Mine absolutely has to be the Dorian Scale, love that somewhat folkish/medieval character of it that also can get quite jazzy, depending on how you chose to combine it's notes, to me there is something very warm and organic to it, an almost ancestral familiarity (I guess sort of solemn in a very down to earth and grounded way), that makes me feel good, although it is also lends it self to more melancholy moods.

Another top favorite of mine is the Double Harmonic Scale, also called the Byzantine Scale, which is pretty close to the Phrygian Major Scale, also called the Flaminco Scale or the Spanish Scale, but has an even stronger oriental character, which to me gives it sort of a mystical and slightly psychedelic vibe, beside obviously leading the thought onto Indian, but especially Middle Eastern, music.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

22 minutes ago, paul_5 said:

Beaufort. I’m not into meteorology at all, I just like the word.

Beaufort.

The sound of it or the looks of it, or both, and in what way?

What does that word evoke in you and what does it reminds you of that makes you like it?

I would have to agree though, actually, no doubt it has a nice round fat ring to it, but slightly counter weighted by the second syllable, that while still having a quite voluminous quality got a sharper character to it thanks to the over representation of consonants, in particular the F and T, while the O, and in particular because it is followed by an R,  contributes to it still balancing nicely with the round quality of the first syllable, all in all making it an extraordinarily wholesome word, in many ways sort of the Yin/Yang of English words.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

19 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

The sound of it or the looks of it, or both, and in what way?

What does that word evoke in you and what does it reminds you of that makes you like it?

I would have to agree though, actually, no doubt it has a nice round fat ring to it, but slightly counter weighted by the second syllable, that while still having a quite voluminous quality got a sharper character to it thanks to the over representation of consonants, in particular the F and T, while the O, and in particular because it is followed by an R,  contributes to it still balancing nicely with the round quality of the first syllable, all in all making it an extraordinarily wholesome word, in many ways sort of the Yin/Yang of English words.

I just like the way it sounds - reminiscent of the Victorian era and rickets.

I was tempte to post a pic of my kitchen scales...

But myxilodian. Specifically D Mixy.

Because my favourite noodle is using the open D (mostly) as a drone and noodling in D mixy on the G string. So much so I am planning to make a bass drumstick with just D and G strings.