Why become a member? ×

Amps

StickyDBRmf

Really going out here but I trust you guys. Q: is how to go about making garbage  out of mistakes- having a pair of JBLEON515s that SUCK for the "idea" of a stereo amp configuration w/ a PODX3 front end for a (anything)  Chapman SticLk/bass rig. Have a 31 band stereo eq that doesn't "fix it " and have a Greenboy builder close by (100mi.s) but am interested would Eminence speakers (15") make the EONS BETTER?

Like, without blowing them (the EONS) apart? Greenboy builds use a $350US speaker so I know it works but, my Q: is, is a  500w amp loudspeaker w/ a crossover tweeter - salvagable, without me going down the dirt wormhole again I ONLY WANT TO MAKE IT SOUND GOOD

Edited by StickyDBRmf

'Stereo' doesn't work too well for bass. I tried the idea in the early Eighties with a JBL K145 + a pair of JBL K120s on each side of the stage. It worked well, or so I thought, from the stage. Out in the room not so much with cancellations in different areas. 

Don't try changing the drivers in the jBL cabinets as they are designed to use the driver that's installed. Anything else would be a downgrade no matter how good the driver might be.

• Like 1

EONS are PA speakers, so not designed/intended for use with bass. They're a budget model. At lower volumes, they may work, but I wouldn't spend good money on replacement drivers. It's tempting to try to improve on or fix mistakes, but it can (and usually does) lead to more money down the drain. I agree with Paul that stereo isn't really worth using with bass. Given that you want a rig for a Stick, which demands a full frequency set up, I'd take the instrument shopping and try some alternatives. Better quality PA cabs may do the job, but doing it well is unlikely to be cheap. The upside is that at least you will know that whatever you get will work. The Greenboy cabs work because of their design, not simply because of the drive units they use. Spending money on a DIY project based on guesswork or advice and suggestions on forums is unlikely to work out well, unless you're very lucky.

• Like 1

At reasonable volume, a pair of Eon 515's should work pretty well (not ideal but certainly not garbage either).

How exactly are you trying to us them, and how do you have things connected? I suspect that you have a connection/interface problem rather than the problem you think (unless you already damaged the speakers).