Why become a member? ×

Best place to trade/sell/commission sell/part exchange basses?

BadHands

Hi guys,

I'm aware of the classifieds section here and the Ebays of the world, but was just wondering: What UK based shops/websites have you had luck selling or trading your basses? Looking to get rid of one and want to make sure I've put it out ANYWHERE that the right people will see it. 

Thanks in advance :D

EDIT: I'll add that it's worth well over a grand as it bares relevance to the best places to sell it, but won't name make and model as I don't want my post ended for looking like I'm advertising it in the wrong place - This is a genuine query. 

Edited by csmallett

1 hour ago, csmallett said:

Hi guys,

I'm aware of the classifieds section here and the Ebays of the world, but was just wondering: What UK based shops/websites have you had luck selling or trading your basses? Looking to get rid of one and want to make sure I've put it out ANYWHERE that the right people will see it. 

Thanks in advance :D

EDIT: I'll add that it's worth well over a grand as it bares relevance to the best places to sell it, but won't name make and model as I don't want my post ended for looking like I'm advertising it in the wrong place - This is a genuine query. 

Your location may be a factor. London..? South-East..? Outer Hebrides..? 

It also depends how long you're prepared to wait for the sale...

eBay generally sets a reasonable tone for market value as many people will see it and if you list it with no reserve and a £1 starting bid it will sell for what the market dictates is the price. With 12 good photos and a solid description you will get a fair return, especially if you wait until you get a £1 selling fee offer. I just sold an Ibanez ANB306 on eBay for £1266 under the above set of guidelines.

Basschat is a worthwhile place to list your bass, £7 for one item for as long as it takes to sell. Again, photos and description are key, as is a reasonable price. Obviously the better the price the quicker the sale. 

I don't really rate Gumtree, I've advertised a lot on there and rarely ever made a sale, however without fail I always get at least 3 messages from obvious scammers. 

On commission at The Bass Gallery or Bass Direct is an option, their commission is between 15% and 20%, you will need to physically hand over your bass though, and there is no guarantee it'll sell quickly so you may be without your bass for a while.

Selling it to a store, be it GuitarGuitar or Cash Converters, will get you a quick sale but it'll be a low ball price - depends what you want to get. 

Reverb is good, I've recently sold two USA PRS and a few pedals via Reverb, there is a selling fee (6% or 7% I think), cheaper than eBay and quite secure. It's free to advertise and you only pay the fee once you've sold. This might be a good option. 

That's my two cents! My advice, advertise on Basschat, Reverb and Gumtree at the same time, if you get no bites maybe talk to the guys at The Bass Gallery or Bass Direct. Or if you're happy to roll the dice and let the market decide the value, stick it on eBay with 12 good photos, a lengthy description AND OFFER POSTAGE!!! 

Without postage on any platform, you are EXTREMELY limited to who can buy your bass. 

Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Loot, Exchange and Mart and Melody Maker were were the places to buy and sell back in the day. In the last 15 years I’ve bought but not sold through eBay. Bought from Bass Direct. Never used Reverb. Gumtree was a scammers paradise. Basschat is the most successful and safest place I’ve found to buy and sell bass gear.

On a slightly sideways note am I the only one thinking the sellers on here specifying collection only during a hard lockdown are at best being unrealistic? Last time I looked, collecting a bass isn’t one of the essential reasons for travel (or maybe it shows that government is made up entirely of non-musicians :)).

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, FDC484950 said:

On a slightly sideways note am I the only one thinking the sellers on here specifying collection only during a hard lockdown are at best being unrealistic? Last time I looked, collecting a bass isn’t one of the essential reasons for travel (or maybe it shows that government is made up entirely of non-musicians :)).

Big problem is the small print on any parcel insurance. I understand Interparcel (who BC have a deal with) do offer full cover, but all the main carriers, if they insure at all, will only insure for a limited amouont for loss and theft, not damage.

1 hour ago, FDC484950 said:

Agree, I currently have a herd of instruments that I want to move on but as they don’t have hard cases it’s collection only, so given current lockdown rules I’ll have to wait until it’s over before putting them up for sale.

• Like 1

On 29/01/2021 at 15:11, Mykesbass said:

Wunjo were (was a few years ago) very good.

I traded in a bass there which I'd actually bought there years before and was pleasantly surprised by the valuation they gave.  I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of selling privately.

Ignoring the difference in commission, which of Bass Direct and The Bass Gallery would be better for selling a sub-£500 bass? The Bass Gallery's listings seem mostly to be serious instruments at serious prices, so I'm wondering if a cheap-ish bass would be outside their clientele's interest. 

On 30/01/2021 at 09:45, FDC484950 said:

Yes, there is a bass I would buy on here but it is pickup only, and as it is not in my town, that isn't much of an option.

I had my bass on here as pickup only as it was a thunderbird and I had no case for it - it was too cheap to get a case to send it in. Took a year to sell.

Have another one that has been for sale for a year, but it is obviously too expensive for most (or priced too high for people to be interested), but I can wait and I would buy it for that price so if it doesn't sell its not a stress having it!

How long you are prepared to wait is also a factor.

20 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Ignoring the difference in commission, which of Bass Direct and The Bass Gallery would be better for selling a sub-£500 bass? The Bass Gallery's listings seem mostly to be serious instruments at serious prices, so I'm wondering if a cheap-ish bass would be outside their clientele's interest. 

FrenchOldfashionedAardvark-max-14mb.gif

I’ve used Bass Direct to sell basses on a commission basis ranging from expensive vintage instruments to sub £1000 ones and they’ve done an excellent job every time - on a few occasions managing to get me more money than I’d requested/they’d advised they could.

Based on my experience I can’t recommend Bass Direct highly enough... 

• Like 1

Same here for Bass Direct. Sold lots through them, varying timescales but Mark is confident at pricing and it’s always come through for me.
After commission (and shipping to them), typically level to selling privately, sometimes shade more.

Gallery have been good in past for part ex pricing. 

Andy Baxter is obviously the man for legit vintage, was amazed / delighted the price he got. 

Of course sold stacks through BC , and Facebook for cheaper gear. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I see many under £500, and lowest is £90.   This link is in stock, pre-owned basses, ordered by price: https://thebassgallery.com/collections/bass?_=pf&pf_t_availability=In Stock&sort=price-ascending&pf_t_condition=Pre-Owned

• Like 1