Why become a member? ×

Hi,

I've got two virtually identical Precision Lyte basses, both circa 1990, bought due to back issues and needing a lighter bass.

One is fine but the other starts off at high volume but drops in volume after about 10 minutes of playing without any adjustments.  I've put new batteries in but the same thing happens every time.  

I'm not an electronics expert but wondering if there's some form of capacitor that needs replacing?

Just looking to see if anyone has had the same predicament and, if so, how they resolved it.

Cheers, 

Adrian

Edited by CountBassist

Many thanks.  The battery doesn't drain though.  The next time I use the bass it's fine, with the same battery, for about 10 mins then the volume starts to drop off again.  It could be something as simple as a dry joint?  I don't know any 'technical' people in my area so seeing if it's something simple first before I need to send it somewhere.  Cheers again.

It can happen that a battery will 'wake up' somewhat after being drained as long as it hasn't been completely exhausted. I'd suggest checking it with a meter immediately after the bass dies and then again the following day. If it does recover somewhat, that could explain why the bass works for another 10 mins or so. A dry joint won't usually cause a fade. It will either work or not and if it does cut out, it's likely to be sudden.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/02/2021 at 22:34, Dan Dare said:

It can happen that a battery will 'wake up' somewhat after being drained as long as it hasn't been completely exhausted. I'd suggest checking it with a meter immediately after the bass dies and then again the following day. If it does recover somewhat, that could explain why the bass works for another 10 mins or so. A dry joint won't usually cause a fade. It will either work or not and if it does cut out, it's likely to be sudden.

Great advice ^^^

Ive had P Lytes for 25 years, and only had a battery go on me once. From memory it started sounding a bit fuzzy, then 30 secs later went completely silent. Was at a wedding gig, so very embarrassing. These basses are notorious for battery drainage, so obvious things like unplugging when you’re not playing help a bit. A tech friend of mine ( now sadly retired) did a mod on my bass which wasn’t expensive and extended battery life considerably. Afraid I don’t have the details, but it certainly wasn’t a big job, cost me about £15 / £20 I think. 

Thanks mate for this.  I'm sure it's not battery issues, as I've put in a number of new PP3s and the same thing happens after about 10 mins.  I've got two of these bases, almost identical, and the other one is fine.  The bass, with the fault, does not die on me but once the volume level has dropped of - say about 20% after about 10 mins - it just stays at the lower volume.  It's still perfectly usable but I've got to compensate for this predicted loss when playing.  I could live with it but it's just got me baffled as to why this should happen.  Very strange.  Cheers, Ade  PS  I've got an old Stingray and someone, years ago, built in a period sliding on/off switch in the pickguard for exactly the same reasons as you've suggested. 

It's likely a failing component on the preamp board.

So, you'll be best taking it to luthier who is well-versed in Electronics.

I'm lucky, the local luthier used to be an Electronics Tech in the Army before getting into double bass repair, then stringed-instrument repair, & eventually building them from scratch.

On 03/03/2021 at 01:01, Killed_by_Death said:

It's likely a failing component on the preamp board.

So, you'll be best taking it to luthier who is well-versed in Electronics.

I'm lucky, the local luthier used to be an Electronics Tech in the Army before getting into double bass repair, then stringed-instrument repair, & eventually building them from scratch.

Many thanks, yes, I'm starting to think the same thing.  Used to know a very handy chap, Clever Trevor,  who was a wizz with amps etc. but I think he's now retired, or worse, as I've not come across him for a while.  I'll start asking around.  Cheers, Ade